• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Island Tag v0.7

Island Tag is a tag map where there are 2 teams, the Island Dwellers (8 players) and the Sharks (3 players).
For the island dwellers to win they must either survive the 30 minute onslaught or kill all the sharks. As for the sharks, they've got to kill every Island Dweller within the time and keep them locked up in the soul container. Sharks got the advantage of being able to swim while the island dwellers have to walk around islands.

Well it's a pretty simple map, so it shouldn't be hard to get into.

v0.6 Changelog:
Fixed terrain, spawn center, rebalanced stuff around, etc

v0.7 Changelog:
Fixed the bugs, reworked upgrades, removed fairy dragon, various balance stuff, etc

Keywords:
island tag, tag, island, islandtag, isle, islands, shark tag, shark, island dweller, dweller, sharks, dwellers, islanders, sunken ruins, ruins, sunken
Contents

Island Tag v0.7 (Map)

Reviews
01:02, 30th Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Quite original twist of other tags, organized tooltips and it meets the minimum requirements, although it could use some work (regarding upgrades, features, choice in shark/builder, the spells were also...

M

01:02, 30th Jul 2010
ap0calypse: Approved

Quite original twist of other tags, organized tooltips and it meets the minimum requirements, although it could use some work (regarding upgrades, features, choice in shark/builder, the spells were also just standard).

I would probably rate it 2/5, although I did not play the map to it's fullest and thus I won't rate.

Level 2
I havnt tested it on B-net but you could instead of using upgrades for gold, make buildings that make gold so that it goes faster and the sharks dont have to look for 1 building. Also it gets boring for the islanders because the income is so low, so you might also want to increase the sharks attack and the income rate. 3/5

Level 24
Its a nice thought, but if you think about the limited space on most areas, it wouldnt work out. The gold income is kept low for the Dwellers to keep them fragile, in any cases they could overspam blockers and towers. Half the point of the map when i made it was to make a dynamic gameplay and not make dwellers sit around the base the whole game spamming towers.

Level 10
Lets see: make Map Info (F9), set casting time of "Destroy Building" ability to 5 seconds becouse like this you can instantly destroy your building and than Shark dont get gold.Fix train tooltip of soul, it is not good.Make better items for Shark,make anti-team kill trigger.This map can become popular but need more work!

Level 5
When a few people die, and someone save them, only 1-2 of them gets saved. While the rest just disappear like a bug without a spirit nor a builder.
Sharks can walk pass small holes, making them walk pass the invisible wall without attacking it.
Flying unit is like a scout, it should not have attack.
The shark is like a naga.

Level 24
I'll get to work on the respawn bug. I'll notch up the collision size a bit aswell to prevent them from getting inside small holes, i reduced it to prevent order errors. The flying unit only has an attack for air units (was supposed to be a counter against flyings units, but orb seems to work better as counter), but yeah i think i'll remove the attack. And yes the shark is a naga.

Level 5
I'll get to work on the respawn bug. I'll notch up the collision size a bit aswell to prevent them from getting inside small holes, i reduced it to prevent order errors. The flying unit only has an attack for air units (was supposed to be a counter against flyings units, but orb seems to work better as counter), but yeah i think i'll remove the attack. And yes the shark is a naga.

But flying unit is a bit too unfair for the dwellers, it is used as a scout and can easily find the shark's enemy.

Level 9
I just played it with my m8s.
The terrain looks awesome but when you're shark it's pretty boring because you don't have any vision area abilty and Ball of Vision has a weak size...
Also I can kill land dweller with 1 hit...isn't that too...fast?
I personaly give [3/5] because I like the terrain :D

Level 18
I found the same problems that magerox noticed as well. I also agree that the "shark" looks more Naga than shark-like. It's a cool skin. Maybe just rename the "Sharks" into something more fitting.

Positive aspects include the fact that the terrain mixes swimming and walking seamlessly and the superb terrain. I found that to be very original for a tag-style map. However, I think the map is in need of a lot more original custom items and abilities.

Anyway, for now I would probably have to rate the map a 2/5 due to the spirits disappearing bug that magerox mentioned because it is pretty crucial. Also due to the lack of custom and original items/spells/buildings. I fully expect that in the future, with your skills, you will transform this map into something great.

I say this all realizing it is just version .4 and expect you have several additions planned for future versions.

Level 24
Anyway, for now I would probably have to rate the map a 2/5 due to the spirits disappearing bug that magerox mentioned because it is pretty crucial. Also due to the lack of custom and original items/spells/buildings. I fully expect that in the future, with your skills, you will transform this map into something great.
I fixed the respawn bug easily, but wether i will add more custom content or not im not really sure of. I might replace or add new content if i come over any fun ideas. This is really just a playground map for me to experiment with different kinds of units and stuff. Also to leave the map very open for feedback and suggestions.

Level 5
I like the concept of the game, its fun, but I think its kind of unbalanced for the sharks, heres why:

The map is way to big for just 3 sharks in my opinion. Sharks waste to much time in search of builders. though they have the reveal orb, it is still time consuming getting from one place to another, hence of the map's size :bored:. Maybe shrink the map a bit more? Or add some more sharks.
I find it unfair that ANY unit in the game with an attack is able to free your teammates, I think that just ruins the whole concept of the game. The jail in the middle is meant for his teammates to get out of their hideout, and attempt to rescue his partner (in my opinion), that way, the shark might have a chance to find him on it's way. The builder can just stay in his spot, and just spam bears/quilbeasts
There are some spots on the map that sharks have difficulties getting through, you need to click a large amount of time to just fit into the mini island. Like the island bottom right, all the way in the corner.

Not a lot of unbalances, but fixing those would just make the game more enjoyable and fair. I hosted this map on Battle.net, and shark players were pretty much complaining about the same unbalances I posted here. Other than that, I rate this map a 4/5 :psmile:

Level 5
Aww you're not going to be working on this map? :cry: I was really hoping more versions of the map would come up in the future, this is one of my favorite tag maps I yet payed :sad:. Oh well, if you ever make any updates or new versions of it, I'll be the first one to download them. :grin:

Last edited:
Level 12
-sharks cant attack dragons since their flying you need to fix that.

-for some reason the second time i tried to free the island dwellers from the middle it did not work

-you definitely need more researches and upgrades

-need more game changing items for sharks at middle such as boots of speed

-the spirit you can channel summon needs to be able to harvest more like 5 lumber instead of just 2 since you cant move

-you need to change the strong tower to a wall since thats what it basically is and most people will have a difficult time finding it

-the shipyards are a tad too big on the scale they need to be scaled down some

-mercenary buildings are good ideas but they need to be more useful then just transport ships and more need to be added for selection

-terrain needs a lot of work instead of just super small bases and then some super big bases try making them more rounded so theres no huge advantage from 1 spot /such as top left

-i also noticed that 2 of the bases you cannot even reach due to the water and those bases had trees and room in them for building /ones mid-left

-try improving the basic gameplay such as how in kodo-tag you get rewarded for rescuing the other players so people will be more inclined to help out

EDIT*
-also please make your description a lot better using tags and headers right now it does not fully describe the game and is really lacking

Level 24
-sharks cant attack dragons since their flying you need to fix that.
You need to use net.

-for some reason the second time i tried to free the island dwellers from the middle it did not work
Please explain in further detail, it should take time before the soul container respawns.

-you definitely need more researches and upgrades

Might add more if i update the map

-need more game changing items for sharks at middle such as boots of speed
Same as above

-the spirit you can channel summon needs to be able to harvest more like 5 lumber instead of just 2 since you cant move

No.

-you need to change the strong tower to a wall since thats what it basically is and most people will have a difficult time finding it

There aren't any suitable wall models. It shouldn't be difficult finding the block tower.

-the shipyards are a tad too big on the scale they need to be scaled down some
Will do.

-mercenary buildings are good ideas but they need to be more useful then just transport ships and more need to be added for selection
Will do whenever i update.

-terrain needs a lot of work instead of just super small bases and then some super big bases try making them more rounded so theres no huge advantage from 1 spot /such as top left
No that's the point of it. Squared areas makes planning and building easier and doesn't produce any pathing problems. The cornered islands have a better advantage because they're in the corners, which makes it harder to blink out without getting killed.

-i also noticed that 2 of the bases you cannot even reach due to the water and those bases had trees and room in them for building /ones mid-left
Will check it out when i get home. Every base should be reachable with boat/blink.

-try improving the basic gameplay such as how in kodo-tag you get rewarded for rescuing the other players so people will be more inclined to help out
Great idea.

EDIT*
-also please make your description a lot better using tags and headers right now it does not fully describe the game and is really lacking

Will do if i find time for it, but there isn't really alot to tell.

Level 12
Alright on the rescuing the island dwellers from the middle glitch for some reason i have been unable to recreate this bug so i cant explain it sorry....

and on the unreachable island areas for some reason it never crossed my mind just to use a transport ship since i guess that's why there there to start with.

with the description i would add some screen shots and maybe even a short game-play video so people will know what the game has to offer.

hope this helped.

EDIT*

you could put as the description of the block tower "can be used as a strong wall" or something along those lines just so people know

Level 24
Alright on the rescuing the island dwellers from the middle glitch for some reason i have been unable to recreate this bug so i cant explain it sorry....
Well i expected bugs since i put the new version up pretty quickly.

with the description i would add some screen shots and maybe even a short game-play video so people will know what the game has to offer.
Bit sceptic to videos since they usually give off a "too much" feeling to it, but screenshots.. sure.

you could put as the description of the block tower "can be used as a strong wall" or something along those lines just so people know

Yeah i will probably do something like that. Atleast a way to make it more obvious. Originally i wanted to use the chest model for blocker, but at the same time i wanted the possibility of upgrading to a tower.

Level 24
Actually my harddisk got wiped because i was forced to reformat after my PC went under a meltdown (it's 6 years old, so that figures). I didn't have a backup of the latest version of the map so i've pretty much discontinued the project. The only maps in my backup folder that are up to date were Island Tag and a 4-team RPG i'm worked on. So that's pretty much the only reason i work on this map.

I could've made alot more amazing features for the game if i really put my mind to it. Here's some ideas that have floated my mind for example:
-Meat hook for sharks
-Crushing wave can knock elementals up on cliffs
-Homing missile sharks that swim in water finding it's closest prey standing in the water.

Level 5
Actually my harddisk got wiped because i was forced to reformat after my PC went under a meltdown (it's 6 years old, so that figures). I didn't have a backup of the latest version of the map so i've pretty much discontinued the project. The only maps in my backup folder that are up to date were Island Tag and a 4-team RPG i'm worked on. So that's pretty much the only reason i work on this map.

I could've made alot more amazing features for the game if i really put my mind to it. Here's some ideas that have floated my mind for example:
-Meat hook for sharks
-Crushing wave can knock elementals up on cliffs
-Homing missile sharks that swim in water finding it's closest prey standing in the water.
Ah, well.. maybe consider to shrink the map by a bit? In my opinion and other people's opinion that played this map said that the map is TOO big for sharks. Sharks waste too much time on traveling around the map and therefore they end up with little amount of time to actually find anyone. The bigger the map is, the less likely it becomes for a shark to find a tagger. My suggestion would be to either add more sharks or shrink the map. Also, I find it unfair that the taggers have the ability to rescue anyone from the center with just an attack from ANY unit. I mean, the taggers that find a nice spot and fortify it with strong walls and towers will never be killed because all they have to do is just build a barrack outside their hiding spot and rescue their captured allies with any unit that has an attack. The sharks will never have a chance to capture the remaining taggers and thus they will be forced to camp. The main reason of having a jail in the middle is so that the hiding taggers come out of their hide outs and rescue any captured taggers so in result of that, the sharks may have a chance to capture the remaining taggers that are left. But having any unit being able to rescue anyone just defeats the whole purpose of a jail in the center of the map. My suggestion would be to make the taggers to only have the ability to rescue their team mates. But other than that, the map is magnificent :thumbs_up:! And your ideas are not bad either! I actually had the meat hook idea in mind too :ogre_haosis:! But yeah man.. this is just my personal opinion on what will make the map look great :goblin_yeah:

Level 1
unprotected version please

Ah yeah, fixing

i found the game really fun and im using ranked gaming client rpg so i requested it to the admins and rejected it for a reason, the reason they rejected it because they cant upload it cause the map is protected therefore i would like to request if u can make a map version that isnt protected so we can use it in rgc, tnx :)