• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is WoW too much to pay or not?

Is WoW too much to pay?

• Nah, $15 a month makes sure there are good updates.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Maybe something like $10 or $5 is more reasonable...

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • It should be free for everything, Blizzard can make enough money off selling CD keys.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • It should be free to play original WoW but you should pay for the expansion.

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
If you have no job and think WoW is too expensive you have no room to talk, if you cant afford it you have no room to talk, seriously this isnt much...

With how much is in the game and how much effort and time its amazing it isnt 30 bucks a month. If you have a job this is easily addordable. So if you have a real low paying job, no job, or just getting allowance, then you really have no room to talk and say its expensive. I get 8 bucks a week and I can still pay for WoW and do other crap.

You people really dont know how much money has been put into this and that they are only makking us pay a min of 15 bucks a month...

You seem quite ignorant from your post. A normal working (single I imagine) person has to pay tax, rent, food, health care, gas (if they have a car) and MANY other things, so yeah 15 bucks a month alone is nothing, but on top of all that, it's 15 bucks less you can spend on going out (5 less drinks for that hot girl at the bar? who knows...)

Also, Blizzard can't spend more than 10 million dollars a year on wages, advertising, server maintenance etc. for WoW. In fact, I'd imagine they probably spend less. Now take their game population, around 6 million, and multiply that by 15 dollars and then 12 months. You get 1,080,000,000 dollars PER YEAR. That's one billion eighty million dollars, which is about 100 times the amount estimated on expenses. So that means they could pay for 50 more of those servers and advertise 50 times as much and have 50 times the amount of employees they have now, and still get by with 500 million dollars every year.

Level 36
They obviously make incredible amounts of money, but they have massive server cores that cost hundreds of thousands a month in hardware, maintenance and staffing. The support team? Gm's are usually pretty quick in response to your problems; They must have to hire god knows how many people to provide customer service to 10 million people.

What i'm saying is: It's not that bad. 15 dollars a month is pretty decent for the average working student that still lives at home. Plus, Blizz is a corporation. Their job is to make money, first and foremost. They seem particularly successful at this aspect.

Level 21
also considering the fact you get more milage out of wow than nearly any other game, at least not unless you really love a game. you get a great service, its good fun, its less than most games over the counter (1 month and 10 days for only £10), regular updates with new content and lets be fair $15 isnt that much. i spend $15, which is £7.50 on my lunches in two days! and for the same money i get one month of a sweet game!

people are like "over a year its costs like $170 dollars" but if you had a game that can maintain your interest for a whole year isnt it worth it?

Level 7
Indeed, if you like WoW, pay for it.
If you don't like it, don't pay, quit, and then you can't complain how much it costs
A game should not be judged based on its expense, unless its absurd (thinking like 200 dollars/month) but on how much you like it and how much you think is reasonable to pay for this game you like so much (or not so much)

Level 36
No offense to you: You're a fucking retard.

Ever stop to think: By getting something for free that you normally would be paying for, it must be ILEGAL?

"Duuuuuuuuuh gee bub that would mean i'm stealing the game and playing on a reverse-engineered server!"

That's right jackass. You think you're hot shit by avoiding paying monthly fees. Joke's on you. I hope the Feds break down your door and shove a riot-baton up your ass.

Level 7
Wow...way to tell the whole world you steal WoW.
And you joined, what, this month?
In a perfect world, we could legally steal things we have to pay for (gee, that sounded weird)
Unfortunately, this world isn't perfect
So its BAD!

Level 17
In my opinion WoW costs too much in Europe.
A gamecard here is 50 dollars (2 months), and they charge your credit card for 20.50 dollars.
Also, the European servers are way worse compared to the US servers.. not to mention the customer service and the GMs. They don't know their game, they are SLOW and they don't care.
Oh and about the updates.. The developers are lazy bastards, most bugs were present for many, many months, some even for a year's time! In my opinion Blizzard is too ignorant to recieve that 15$ (or 20.5$).

Level 22
i actually dont care i play on private server i think its stupid to pay for something you can have for free :) (no offence to all retail wow players xD)

You still get what you pay for. I hear of all the problems private servers have....too low population, never able to find groups, unreliable connections, intrusive GMs and so on...It worth paying to play just to not have to deal with all that.
-VGsatomi

Level 21
A gamecard here is 50 dollars (2 months)

i dont know what part of europe you are from but it clearly sucks. im from england and wow costs £8 a month which is just under $16. also blizz charge you 13 euros a month, thats like £10 or $20.3, thats really not that much, infact thats nothing? your complaing tho? ARE YOU POOR? then get a job or claim benefits or stop playing the game........my goodness i spend £15 a day on food and if i go out for a night on the town i can spend £50 in one go, get a job for fuck sake.

Also, the European servers are way worse compared to the US servers.. not to mention the customer service and the GMs. They don't know their game, they are SLOW and they don't care.

again i dont know what servers you play on but ive never had any problems with GMs, infact they have always helped me when i have had problems but been light hearted and let people off when me and my guild have been a bit offensive or botting. its a good balance because a 3 day ban deterent is good, they arent hard asses, they want you to have fun. maybe you are just unlucky?

Oh and about the updates.. The developers are lazy bastards, most bugs were present for many, many months, some even for a year's time! In my opinion Blizzard is too ignorant to recieve that 15$ (or 20.5$).

dude, blizzard have made millions of dollars with software which is bugged, yet they are still making millions of dollars....ignorant? i call that fucking smart. maybe they took a lesson from bill gates.

the bottom line of this argument:

$15 or £8 or 13 euros is not a large amount of money. i dont care what anyone says, it is NOT a large amount of money. the argument is whether you enjoy the game enough to justify you paying that amount for it.

Level 17
Okay, for your information 20.5 is 137% of 15. What I was saying, US realms get better support and metal for less money. And that 5.5 buck DOES matter if you are not dumb and don't care about money. If you DO work, then you must know that you get money for giving away hours of you life.

I used to play on Bloodscalp (for 2 and a half years with smaller-longer lasting breaks). Bloodscalp was always among the last servers going back online after a patch day or maintance day. We always had several days / month when the server was unavailable and we didn't get extra days - I call that ignorance. There was always a nice amount of racism on our server. Gms didn't care. There were bots we kept reporting in over and over and some poeple were botting for almost a freaking year with the same bot! I call that ignorance.
Also, if you think blizzard is smart for showing ignorance towards its customers when then you are most probably wrong. Many players quit because of their ignorance, and I think if they would've hired +10% support staff, fire the dumb ones then motivate the freaking developer staff they could've kept many many players with a more balanced, a less buginfected, a better moderated game - with a game funnier to play.
So my statement is still the same, blizzard's services are overpriced for its quality.

Level 21
5.5 buck DOES matter

lol....just lol.

i wanna point out that thats 0.11 euros more a day and that if you cant afford that then im surprised you can afford the internet or even a computer. you just want it for free because you are greedy. you are greedy and you want an amazing product for nothing, you are the consumer and you get what you are given and its never free. accept it.

if you think blizzard is smart for showing ignorance towards its customers when then you are most probably wrong.

im not wrong; blizzard is smart, just like microsoft, IBM, sony, apple and just about every company out there that feeds you overpriced shit. microsoft has been doing it for years and is the most prosperous company ever. if you can do a half assed job and make a product that people will buy despite them knowing its shit you have clearly found yourself a gold mine. or hey go one better and convince them that the shit you are selling is actually good. 92 out of 100 on metacritic.

Level 3
It can't make enough money off of Cd keys. Guild Wars doesn't even really do that. They have to make more and more games so they get enough money. So I think 10 would be very fair.

Level 36
I think the solution here is to make it free to play original WoW and 15 dollars a month with the expansion. I don't want the expansion anyways, I think 1.12 was the peak moment in WoW history.

I downgraded my WoW to 1.12 so I could play on a private server that is made for 1.12, not like I am promoting anyone else to do this, I don't want to get in trouble.

Level 3
They would never make the beginning free. I knoiw I wouldn't because If I had a choice I would just stay in the free one forever. Than they get no money. Everything crumbles. And it's just a bad thing for all. So I don't even understand that! But I do believe 15 is a tad bit too high there.

Level 12
Private servers arn't that entertaining, know why?

Increased XP, you can go past lvl 70, things are pretty easy, quite buggy, no GM's, very little updates, its like using cheats on a FPS, liek god mode, online, seriously, hows it fun fi you can't die and you always kill everyone in one hit? Takes out the suspense, fun, strategy, and skill.

Not only that its illegal, if you don't want to pay for it, then don't play it. It's not expensive, they could have made it 20 even 30 bucks a month, thats a bit expensive. We are lucky its 15.

Level 14
Do people pay it?

Yes.

Unless you want to tell them that they don't know how to spend their own money, then it is worth it for them.

You're just too poor for it, I guess? Well, get over it, that's life, they are businesses, they are out for profit.

Take it like a man or become a commie.

Level 7
I WILL NEVER BECOME A COMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If foolish people want to play fake WoW, they can
That's not the point, though
It's not: is cheap people playing on cheaty fake WoW for free morally correct?, it's: is playing legit WoW worth $15 a month?

Level 36
There is no "morally correct" on the internet. That's why we have anonymity and freedom to do whatever we want, legal or not, without any real chance of being caught.

scarce and unbalanced as shit.

Balance is what ruins every game. It may sound great to start off with, but it just makes everything virtually the same and makes you think twice before starting a new character... "why do I want to play this if my other character is just as good?". It may be good in skilled games like Halo where it is pure skill, not targeting an enemy and pulling a few combos that you can read off the internet. WoW takes less skill than DotA, it just takes time to level up and read the strategy guides.

Level 7
I think it does cost to much, I haven't got a steady source of income only on my Bday + Christmas, however, private servers may be free, but there buggy, to bad they can't get it right >_<, but here in New Zealand, we have to pay like $30 New Zealand dollars, i mean WTFFF, it costs more than the fricken game!! Only way its worth it is if u have a income and if you play a good amount of time to get your money's worth.

Level 12
OK guys, those of you who think wow should be free or think 15 bucks s too much is mostly people who have a low income, or cant afford it at all. Seriously that isn't even a reason. Just because you have a low income or cant afford it doesn't mean its too expensive. Hell they should be charging us triple to be technical, with how much work is put forth into it. 15 bucks a month is by far reasonable. Hell you can work at Mcdonalds and afford it. Blizzard was very fair of the price.

Now unless you have a actual good reason on how its expensive just please stop saying the same thing, because you got a low income or none at all, that is just a reason on why you cant play it, if you want to play it, get a job, not a part time or anything, 5 bucks an hour, 8 hours a day can easily pay for it.

I think it does cost to much, I haven't got a steady source of income only on my Bday + Christmas, however, private servers may be free, but there buggy, to bad they can't get it right >_<, but here in New Zealand, we have to pay like $30 New Zealand dollars, i mean WTFFF, it costs more than the fricken game!! Only way its worth it is if u have a income and if you play a good amount of time to get your money's worth.
Exactly my point(though i understand your in a different country)

I think the solution here is to make it free to play original WoW and 15 dollars a month with the expansion. I don't want the expansion anyways, I think 1.12 was the peak moment in WoW history.
ummm a oxymoron?
I downgraded my WoW to 1.12 so I could play on a private server that is made for 1.12, not like I am promoting anyone else to do this, I don't want to get in trouble.

Seriously, that would be the worse logic ever used.... Seriously why make a game that has 80% of the content used on normal WOW, and pay 15 bucks a month to play the other 20%? If any company did that it would fail epically

I believe 5-10 dollars a month or so is acceptable.
5 dollars would be almost a epic fail, and pretty pointless.
"hey sense we get 5 bucks a month from all these users, we should easily pay for these servers worth thousands of dollars"

Any game that requires monthly fees to play is stupid. There is no "acceptable" amount of money.
You fail at life...:p(joke), if they did this we wouldn't have as good as games.

I think that there should be either small fees or no fees at all. I mean, they could at least lower original prices. That is about 135$/year or so (rough estimate) and unless you have some job or something to cover the money other than your parents, than it is fine... But $15 dollars a month is more than some other actual useful expenses.
15 dollars is a small fee...-_-

Yet again those who cant afford it or have a low income really have no room to talk, unless there is a actual reason why its too expensive, its a very reasonable price. They need to make money, its business, this isn't xbox live(which is cheaper) Some countries pay double of what we pay, so we are lucky its 15 bucks a month.

This is a bit off topic but its a example.

Tom, owner and creator of myspace made it for free, he wasn't getting payed for it, occasionally he would get donated. But for such a great kind of site, its free, but starting next January, it will cost 22.50 a month... because he is in debt. Now this happen because of lack of money to pay for myspace.

If WoW was free, this would prob most likely happen to blizzard, 10 million cd keys from a 20 dollar game wont NEARLY give them as much money, and eventually make the game worse, and not worth playing. If they did this off of CD keys this game wouldn't be as good, and a expansion would be hard to pull off. In fact this game might of made blizzard got in debt, and poof no future games.

15 bucks is reasonable, just because you have a low income or none at all doesn't mean it isn't reasonable, it just means you want a private server for selfish reasons. Because you don't want to give them what makes blizzard so great. Blizzard only has a small handful of games and they are like as big as EA...Maybe bigger, who knows. Its too much work for them to do this for free, if you don't want to pay for a reasonable price, Get a job, or stop whining about it and find something else to entertain you.

Last edited:
Level 12
15 is already acceptable... 4.5/5 of the people who pay thinks its reasonable.. with how much work that was put into it... it should be higher, 15 is a very reasonable price, and if you have a job(not some 2 day a week job) with a steady income its easily affordable, if you don't want to pay 15, go play guild wars or don't at all.

Level 12
I find it stupid to pay for playing a game.And that's the reason I don't play it.

Your paying for entertainment. Its like buying a hooker, or buying beer for a party, its for entertainment. If we go by your method, beer and hookers should be free? :p

Level 12
Dreadnought[dA];714647 said:
You already payed for it is what he's trying to say. But I don't think you can buy hookers for $500 dollars and have them be your slave forever... I still think paying $15 for it is just stupid. YOU DON'T GET 1/5th YOUR MONIES WORTH!! Almost all other MMORPGs cost less.
Your payinh 15 bucks a month to play the online game, your paying 500 bucks a night or month. Same exact conept.

1/5 of your money's worth? DUDE its a lousy 15 bucks, and honestly thats very easy to attain in a month of you have a job. Also other MMORPG games dont nearly have as a effective quest system or other RPG systems, the only other one that does is warhammer online, which they are using lot of the same system ideas as WoW. Guild wars isnt as good, plus that has high graphics.

Lot of MMO's suck compared to WoW, blizzard spent a lot of time and money to make sure they have what other MMO's don't or lack of. They succeeded and WoW is the most addictive game so far in the world(online game)
WoW has a 9.5 rating, which makes it a very good game. one of the only bad things about it, is that fact its a very repetitive game

Level 14
1.) It shouldn't be free because Blizzard pays money for the servers and everything and what not. Not to mention every other game of it's kind costs money. And if it doesn't it sucks.
2.) there's no use fighting about how much WoW should or shouldn't cost. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and it's not like Blizzard is going to care if someone at the Hiveworkshop is complaining that it costs too much.

Remember fighting on the internet is like winning the special Olympics, if you win, you're still retarded.

:)

Last edited:
Level 12
Wow, you really misunderstood what I said.

I was using hookers and beer as a "example" to put my point across.

Level 36
15 is already acceptable... 4.5/5 of the people who pay thinks its reasonable.. with how much work that was put into it... it should be higher, 15 is a very reasonable price, and if you have a job(not some 2 day a week job) with a steady income its easily affordable, if you don't want to pay 15, go play guild wars or don't at all.

LOL. Do you know how much work has ACTUALLY gone into WoW? Not enough to be worth billions of dollars. Oblivion is a better-made game, or would be if Bethesda could be bothered to take time to patch it. Even Runescape is a better-made game than World of Warcraft. The only changes since the first version are new content and user interface tweaks. That's IT. The only work is what the GMs do to keep the game running smoothly, and they probably get paid ~$15 and hour.

Level 12
Even if oblivion was patched, it wouldn't make a difference, WoW would still be the top MMO.

Nice to know you stated your opinions on the games fact, tell me have you ever played WoW?

Level 25
LOL. Do you know how much work has ACTUALLY gone into WoW? Not enough to be worth billions of dollars.

Actually, a lot of work has gone into WoW. It's pretty much the textbook example of how to make a good game actually, seeing as it not only proved successful, but pretty much opened up an almost new market. Before WoW most of the MMOs were niche games with fantastic horror stories. Then WoW happened, and suddenly everyone tries to jump on the MMO bandwagon

Oblivion is a better-made game, or would be if Bethesda could be bothered to take time to patch it.

And Blizzard take the time to patch WoW to make it a better game. Win/win for them

Even Runescape is a better-made game than World of Warcraft. The only changes since the first version are new content and user interface tweaks. That's IT. The only work is what the GMs do to keep the game running smoothly, and they probably get paid ~$15 and hour.

No. Its not better made. It turns away casual players due to the time it takes to reach some sort of fighting level, it punishes the player severely for dying and can ruin months of work via this

It isn't a better made game. That's why its considered the lowest denominator of MMOs, and WoW is raking in thousands every month

Level 14
As stated before, WoW is the most successful MMO ever. It pretty much defined the genre and made it popular again. Why shouldn't Blizzard charge money for people to use it? If someone gives one valid reason why Blizzard shouldn't charge you, I'll rep you, because this whole argument is retarded.
Blizzard honestly doesn't care if you don't think it shouldn't make people pay. They have the most successful game on the market and they can charge people for playing it knowing full well that they will still play it despite losing money! It's brilliant.
I don't play WoW because I don't want to lose my soul to Blizzard anymore than I already have through SC and Wc3. I also don't have the time to play WoW.

Also, let me ask the people in this thread, Do you still play WoW despite thinking that the $15 is outrageous?

Level 14
Then it has nothing to do with the money that you would pay, correct? So I don't see the point of this thread being open anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.