• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Is Total Conversion of Warcraft 3 Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Thanks for the reply, TriggerHappy. =)

I'm wondering, how would it be possible? Is it really possible to even create a custom .EXE file that wouldn't overwrite the main game .EXE?

I have no clue where to start...

Level 2
Thanks again. =)

I'm also wondering, if you change the game around, for example put in a custom menu with music, maps, and resedit the .exe file with your own logo....

...That would probably corrupt someone else's copy of the game wouldn't it?

Unless you wrote a program that would swap files around when your clicked it, or if you just had a second directly with the second warcraft 3 installed...(which I'm not sure would work thanks to registry entries right? Can you have warcraft 3 installed to two separate directories?)

Well, thanks again for all of the help.

There is a lot of functionality that WC3 is not able to support, such as most keyboard events, mouse tracking... however I have seen a hacked version of the game on youtube where a guy can move the camera around just by moving his mouse.

Now that I think of it, I'll just find/post the link. It's a pretty video to watch :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5t9NWViPrE

Level 13
Well I know that you can reshack the exe file to edit it to your likings.

I once changed the splash screen (the one with arthas face when wc3 is loading)
and it still works fine.

So I guess you can use an mpq editor to edit the whole wc3 interface BUT you can only do it for you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.