• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modding Warcraft 3....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there everyone,

Me and a friend have been working on this game idea (well, he's been working on it for 4 or 5 years now) that would require custom 3d models.

I was wondering just how deep modding warcraft 3 can go? Is it limited to maps only? How hard is it to model for warcraft 3?

I'm wondering, mainly, if the following is possible in Warcraft 3:

- Custom Music
- Custom 3D Models
- Custom Terrain
- Custom Interface/Menu's (probably not but I have to ask anyway x_x)

We are definitely aware of the time it would take to mod in a different engine (i.e - forever x___x), and I personally find that the warcraft 3 map maker is the easiest possible way to make our game idea a reality. It would be wonderful if just 2 out of 4 of the above were possible.

Thank you so much ahead of time. Happy modding. :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 20
As above!

Time consumption/difficulty really depends on the individual and your experience, luckily for you there is a huge array of custom models already on the hive, custom terrain and interfaces are harder to come by/make but are here and on other sites, it's just a matter of finding them ;) Best of luck, and welcome to the hive :)

Level 3
To add to the "previously stated above" think of the editor as a folder. You can put barley anything in it and still have something functional. Or you can add a lot of "papers"(custom content, like models, textures, "GUI", music etc. etc. etc.) and still have something very functional. It DOES have 1 "major limit" unless you use a single-player campaign or "tedious save codes" you can not "host" on-line "muti-map "games""(The "battle-net" also has a storage limit but a campaign does not!). Other then that it is not very "limited" at all. Try playing some campaigns see what the editor can "do"!

Status
Not open for further replies.