• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

IP Banning in Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I have heard that as of the new patch that got rid of bots, you can see the IP of anyone who joins a game in Warcraft 3 if you look into the game files, that IP addresses are given to the host. The IP is recorded now to enable IP bans. Does this have any legitimacy?

Last edited:

~El

Level 17
I have heard that as of the new patch that got rid of bots, you can see the IP of anyone who joins a game in Warcraft 3 if you look into the game files, that IP addresses are given to the host. The IP is recorded now to enable IP bans. Does this have any legitimacy?

Not sure where you've heard that, but unless Blizzard screwed something up, IP addresses are now opaque. All traffic between players is routed through Blizz servers, meaning you shouldn't be able to grab anyone's IP address at all.

Level 5
This would be a HIGHLY, HIGHLY bad idea.

Why should someone hosting a game know the address of my router? Much like the address to your house, no outsider should have the right to know my IP Address. An IP Address is worth even more than a house address in ways. I've never tolerated when kids online have known my IP Address in their games when they type "whatis soandso ip".

But as for bots shutting down, I really hope you're right about that! I've NEVER been able to stand those damn bots. Kicking players used to reside within the map's design, it was up to the map maker/author to determine how players should be handled! To globally allow for kicking simply with a Bot caused so many bad experiences. Reason being that a bunch of kids all voting to kick you often don't know how to evaluate/judge the situation properly, whereas a smart host can choose to play as Player 1 (Red), the usual player that map authors designated to be have kicking access!

Plus not to mention that after you get kicked by these kids, the bot permanently would ban you from joining. Even if the ban just lasted a week, it's still ridiculous. Other invasive commands that hosts should NOT have access to were the "ping" command, which showed what my internet speed was. The other command to list what country all the players lived in, again that is EXTREMELY invasive of my privacy.

It's the opposite actually. You used to be able to see anyone's IP address in the game list. Now, you can only see the IP address of the server where the game is being hosted.

Blizzard is logging tons of telemertry data the moment you start up the game. That is likely how they are determining cheaters/hackers.

Level 14
It's the opposite actually. You used to be able to see anyone's IP address in the game list. Now, you can only see the IP address of the server where the game is being hosted.

Blizzard is logging tons of telemertry data the moment you start up the game. That is likely how they are determining cheaters/hackers.
People were able to access our IPs before?
That's spooky as shit.

People were able to access our IPs before?
That's spooky as shit.

Yeah. Previously players connected directly to the host's computer which exposed their IP.

Yeah.

How did you do that if I may ask TriggerHappy?

Because I played since 2004, I don't ever remember that. Was it a / (slash) command?

You have to use a 3rd party tool which can retrieve the game list. Previously the host's IP address was included in the game list data. You could probably also use Resource Monitor or something to check who you are connected to.

Why is it scary or concerning for the world to know your IP address? These days I worry far more about superintelligence learning about me than about specific, targeted issues. Also, most public IP addresses that I have used were not static IPs, and the computers behind them were instructed not to keep their ports open. Or, when some ports were, I was able to view which ones.

Level 12
This would be a HIGHLY, HIGHLY bad idea.

Why should someone hosting a game know the address of my router? Much like the address to your house, no outsider should have the right to know my IP Address. An IP Address is worth even more than a house address in ways. I've never tolerated when kids online have known my IP Address in their games when they type "whatis soandso ip".

But as for bots shutting down, I really hope you're right about that! I've NEVER been able to stand those damn bots. Kicking players used to reside within the map's design, it was up to the map maker/author to determine how players should be handled! To globally allow for kicking simply with a Bot caused so many bad experiences. Reason being that a bunch of kids all voting to kick you often don't know how to evaluate/judge the situation properly, whereas a smart host can choose to play as Player 1 (Red), the usual player that map authors designated to be have kicking access!

Plus not to mention that after you get kicked by these kids, the bot permanently would ban you from joining. Even if the ban just lasted a week, it's still ridiculous. Other invasive commands that hosts should NOT have access to were the "ping" command, which showed what my internet speed was. The other command to list what country all the players lived in, again that is EXTREMELY invasive of my privacy.
Welcome to 2019 where privacy is the butt of every joke. By the way on an unrelated note have you heard how google "forgot to mention" about a microphone inbuilt in one of their devises after already having them launched on the shelves for many months?

I of course support privacy in online interaction and prefer that the only thing a user can know about oneself is: username, ping. That's it!

Last edited:
Level 5
welcome to 2019 were privacy is the butt of every joke. btw on an unrelated note have you heard how google "forgot to mention" about a microphone inbuilt in one of their devises after already having them laucnhed on the shelves for many months?

i of course support privacy in online interraction and prefer that the only thing a user can know about me without him telling me is: username, ping. that's it!

No, I never heard of that.

Lol I don't even use Smart technology really, I use an old school flip-open Cell Phone!

Unix is a much better Operating System to run as it's got a massive community of people that make their own distributions that don't log all your keystrokes by default...

Status
Not open for further replies.