• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Invasion! v1.03A

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A very simple map the pits a group of Marines against an unknown and comical invasion force. The marines must defend their bunker from these invaders for 20 minutes.

Custom models used are all downloaded from this website.

Co-op between NyuuNyuu and I

Features:
~Unique abilities
~Unique enemies
~Unique terrain
~Unique units
~Unique items
~Fast paced combat
~Fast paced game, means you play more games!

Keywords:
Hero Defence, Marine, Futuristic
Contents

Invasion! v1.03A (Map)

Reviews
02:55, 3rd Feb 2009 Septimus: You doesn't optimize the coding and remove what i have told you to do. Sources reject

M

02:55, 3rd Feb 2009
Septimus: You doesn't optimize the coding and remove what i have told you to do. Sources reject

Level 3
nothing new but still entertaining - espacially because there aren't a lot of good maps for this genre like this one :)

+ good terrain design! (fords, close corridors...)
+ enough units for a short survival map
+ funny announcements
+ kamikaze ability (suit overload or something) to advance teamplay
+ defensive structures
+ the green aliens made us laugh

--------------------------------

- destroyable walls with too little hp, and you can't build new ones
- It's confusing that the towers and the bunker have hero inventorys and the items you can buy and sound like "building armament" dont seem to effect the attacks. So maybe you should rework your tooltips over.
- the towers are having standard projectiles and models - maybe you should replace them with some hive-made models ;)
- maybe you should give the player some minutes to prepare for the attack (to build some turrets or buy a few weapons/armor and so on)
- the end is a bit too aprubt. Show a message, let the players wait for about 10-15 seconds, so that they can celebrate their work and then show the victory dialog ;)

in spite of everything it's a very good map and it was a lot of fun to play :)

Level 2
I am glad you enjoyed it, I plan on updating it a bit in the near future. I just have been busy lately.

I may eventually add more custom models, I just felt they were not needed at the time. The reason that towers and the bunker have inventories so that you may give them the auto cannons or lasers. They do work very well.

I hate doing tooltips and I suck at them lol... I will update them in the next public release also.

I will add a little time to celebrate in the end, I did plan on a cinematic but never got around to it.

Thanks for the comments on my simple map :D

Level 3
dont remind me of "cinematics"... i'm getting shivers down my spine when i think of my TDs planned Cinematic...

uhm back to your map :) There are some simple unwritten rules for good tooltips. Just tell people some features (you now.. the "blabla manifestation of the builders anger - it will **** all creeps!"-thing), the range, the speed and possible targets.

For ~example~:

Range: 700
Special: AOE-Damage
-------------------------

my english grammar is bad so i dont know if it's "enemy ground target" or "ground enemy target" but maybe you're a native speaker so you'll know ;)

- hey and please add the "wall" to the builders "can build" list :p

EDIT: Your item tooltips are good - maybe i was too tired when i played it first time ;) cause it already says something like "blabla building OR shoulder of a soldier" so maybe i was too dumb ^^

ANOTHER EDIT: Found a bug - if you put a Phoenix into a laser tower the game quits the map and you're back on the network screen... :(

Last edited:
Level 2
lol thanks for the comments Oklino, I will have to took a look at that bug. I never put one of those lasers in a tower.

Version 1.02 should be out by monday, it should fix some minor issues you have brought up and I may add another unit (planning on fixing a few for balancing).

Thanks for the feed back, if you find anything else let me know :D

Edit: I just decided to get it done. Enjoy guys! Thanks for the all the support Oklino

Version 1.021
-------------Change Log-----------
Added: Reinforced Wall
Added: Wall to builder
Fixed: Heavy Armor Tooltip
Improved: Sniper's Dmg to 120 and added Critical
Added: Sniper to Buyable units
Fixed: Overload Tooltip - Hotkey O
Fixed: Leaderboard - Players no longer show up if not playing
Removed: Flash-bang, issues with balancing and getting it to work right
Balancing: Increased cooldown on Enemy B gone from 65 to 75 seconds
Terrain: Updated and a minor oddity removed
Added: Time at the end to gloat your victory (At the request of Oklino :) ). 35 seconds and a message depending on which difficulty you achieved victory on. I may eventually add a reward for the next time you play... We shall see

Made minor changes to triggering to reduce lag and fixed various other minor bugs.

You can give any item to the towers, they will use them such as armor and machine guns. Enjoy! Also, they act as storage for those pack rats out there.

@Oklino - I had no issues with the Phenoix Laser inside of buildings... You may have won at that moment or lost...

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Version 1.021
-------------Change Log-----------
Added: Reinforced Wall
Added: Wall to builder
Fixed: Heavy Armor Tooltip
Improved: Sniper's Dmg to 120 and added Critical
Added: Sniper to Buyable units
Fixed: Overload Tooltip - Hotkey O
Fixed: Leaderboard - Players no longer show up if not playing
Removed: Flash-bang, issues with balancing and getting it to work right
Balancing: Increased cooldown on Enemy B gone from 65 to 75 seconds
Terrain: Updated and a minor oddity removed
Added: Time at the end to gloat your victory (At the request of Oklino :) ). 35 seconds and a message depending on which difficulty you achieved victory on. I may eventually add a reward for the next time you play... We shall see

Made minor changes to triggering to reduce lag and fixed various other minor bugs.

You can give any item to the towers, they will use them such as armor and machine guns. Enjoy! Also, they act as storage for those pack rats out there.

@Oklino - I had no issues with the Phenoix Laser inside of buildings... You may have won at that moment or lost...

Last edited:
Level 31
Here is my review.

1) The coding have memory leak and most of it could be optimize to give it a full performance.
2) This map contain cheat code, which give a player an unfair advantage.
3) Terrain wasn't that good and need to be improve.

My rating was 1/5 and mini moderator vote was REJECTED

Main reason of why it should be reject is because it contain a repetitive trigger with memory leak along with cheat codes.

Level 3
Its a test command that only I can use for testing purposes... With the optimizing, when I get a memory leak I will do it. I have no issues with it.

I didn't have any performance issues either...

with all due respect, i still think:

+ the terrain perfectly fits to the gamestyle (it's a mini-survival-game so noone will miss a teletubbie-like landscape with hrundrets of doodads)
+ if the "cheat" (what ever it causes) seems to be an easy to remove command for development - this shouldnt be a reason to directly reject it... just give him a chance to remove it quickly... (maybe he only forgot to....)
+ i have an outdated E4300 with 1GB DDRI (yes I not II - hybrid board) RAM and a GF6 so my system should be exhibitted in a museum - and i dont have any performance issue with this map - my mate (always 2 player mode) doesnt even have a Dual Core or an adequate GF6 and the map is running just fine.
Dunno how it's behavior in BN with 4 players is, this is only the impression i got in 2 Player 10Mbit (no not 100) LAN Mode.

And finally: where are your suggestions? How can he improve the map to make it more interesting for you?

after all:
i think this map should be approved when the cheat command is removed...

but... here are my new suggestions for next improvement (to maybe pass the next replay):

+ export the triggers and build a new terrain with different set of textures (the one you've chosen doesnt give enough flexibility)
+ fix the leaks (always use variables in funktions like "center of region". Put the region into a variable of type "point" and the movement will be fine ;)

• Actions
    • Set Variable blabla = Center of region("your region")
And after working with it you have to remove it.

• Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_yourvariable)
"udg_" is some kind of prefix for gobal vars (dunno more about it).

you will have to do this with almost every function. You may find all needed remove functions in the Triggers section. (would be wrong placed in a map comment :) )

+ rebalance the units you can buy (the first time i've time to breathe and buy units is when i already have enough money for four of the lt.s :)
+ if you or your mate know how, you should add AI for slots with computer players. (it's not that important because i think RED can also fill the slots and kick the Computer to control his units...)
+ add some ranged invaders. all the melee guys are a lot of fun but this will bring some variety and improve the atmosphere of the map.
+ give the defenders some breaks to rebuild defensive structures :) infight, the creeps are attacking towers and walls first

Maybe an ability like "taunt" will round off the heroes... but you'll have to replace an ability... and i really dont know which one... (maybe the critical shot - and then just add a cheap item with a chance to crit! - that's it... great idea Oklino - oh your welcome! - You're having such great ideas! - that's the way i am!... *oops* sorry just seen madagaskar2 [king julian in conversation with the volcano god]).

Ok now let's get to work :p I'll pm you a few suggestions for models if you want :)

last edit: The Suggested Players amount should be replaced with "1-4" (it's possible to succeed with only 1 player)

Last edited:
Level 2
I need to balance the units, that I know. Its just hard to effectively do it without needing to balance something else, then something else and so on. Its a never ending chain of pain lol.

With the cheat, I didnt know having one cheat for testing gets a map rejected. I personally think that is stupid and again I am the only person who can use it. I will just remove it for public releases.

With the terrain, I never liked doing it and I feel that there really isnt a need for 100s of doodads on such a small map.

With the optimizing, I will do it next release if its such a big deal lol.

The AI, I do not know how to do it correctly. But I can always just add simple triggers to control the heroes.

Ranged Invaders - They will not be added to Invasion! However they will be included in the sister map, Invasion: The Next Day (Still working on title). The map is going to be a bit bigger and have more stuff.

Level 31
With the cheat, I didnt know having one cheat for testing gets a map rejected. I personally think that is stupid and again I am the only person who can use it. I will just remove it for public releases.

It ain't stupid, the codes give a unfair advantage to those who discover it. It sort of like glitch which user exploit in game.

Try post a map contain cheat code at respectable site such as hiveworkshop and wc3campaigns would generally get it rejected. Like it or not, we strongly oppose the implementation of cheat.

Like it or not, is up to you. Anyway, it was your decision to upload your map and you already tick the button "Yes, I would adhere all the rules of this site" the moment you submit your sources! You should respect the rules of it and if you ignore it, you face the consequences. Even if the rules doesn't have clear detail about it, it doesn't mean you could exploit the loopholes of the rules for your own advantage.

Level 2
It ain't stupid, the codes give a unfair advantage to those who discover it. It sort of like glitch which user exploit in game.

Try post a map contain cheat code at respectable site such as hiveworkshop and wc3campaigns would generally get it rejected. Like it or not, we strongly oppose the implementation of cheat.

Like it or not, is up to you. Anyway, it was your decision to upload your map and you already tick the button "Yes, I would adhere all the rules of this site" the moment you submit your sources! You should respect the rules of it and if you ignore it, you face the consequences. Even if the rules doesn't have clear detail about it, it doesn't mean you could exploit the loopholes of the rules for your own advantage.

Again, I am the only one who can use it. Also, how can someone else judge what is unfair in a map that is not theirs? If it was a cheat or an exploit that anyone could use then yes I could see it as a problem.

Go ahead and reject the map if that is how you feel about it. But honestly, it is my map and I should be able to judge what is an exploit or not on it.

Version 1.03
@! Changes @!
Improved: Teleporter - Cast Range 300 to 350, Cast Min 100 to 25, Cast Max 600 to 725. (Hopefully should make it a bit easier to use.)
Fixed: Marine Icons to their proper icons
Optimized: The spawn triggers for enemies. No need but it seems its required...
Optimized: Decay time 6 to 0.01 for Bones and Flesh
Fixed: Victory messages, error in triggering on my part :)
Fixed: Units stop spawning after timer runs out
Fixed: Timer removed when timer runs out

Number of players changed to 1-4

Last edited by a moderator: