• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introduction to Comments

Level 31
This tutorial will introduce the nested, delimited, and limited comments as well as good commenting.

This is chapter 3 of the complete guide to vJASS.

Chapter 3- Comments

Comments are little code notes that are used to describe what a line(s) of code does. Any code that is commented out is ignored by the parser. Comments are typically used by programmers to explain why they are doing what they are doing, not what they are doing. They may also go over how to use code and how code works (documentation, normally located above all of the code).

Comments may be single line or delimited.

Single Line Comment- //
Delimited Comment (multiple lines)- /*code*/

A singe line comment will comment out everything past it -> set x = 1 //setting x to 1. If you notice, //setting x to 1 is colored green. It happens to be a comment.

A delimited comment will comment out everything between /* and */ set x /*x is a var*/ = 1 //1 is a value. Delimited comments may also be nested /*/**/*/. Delimited comments are used for documentation and temporarily commenting out buggy code or test code.

JASS:
	/*This stuff is within a delimited comment/*this stuff
	is within a nested delimited comment*/

The formatting of a delimited comment doesn't matter as long as it starts with /* and ends with */
	*/

Commenting Exercises
Paste the code into the map and then comment it out to get rid of the syntax errors.

Problem 1

JASS:
				Comment me to get rid of the syntax error

JASS:
				//Comment me to get rid of the syntax error

Problem 2

JASS:
				I am
				your
				syntax error
				yes, you will

not stop
				me at all

JASS:
				/*I am
				your
				syntax error
				yes, you will

not stop
				me at all*/

Good Commenting
Bad

The code below describes what each line does, but it doesn't describe why it does it. While the code can be read, it's purpose remains very unclear. Furthermore, the comments seem pointless. For example, in the first line, it is easy to read that i is being set to 1000. What the person reading comments really wants to know is what i is and why it's being set to 1000.
JASS:
				local integer i = 1000 //set i to 1000
				local integer x //declare x

//do some loops
				set x = i //set x to i
				loop
					//display some text
					call DisplayTextToPlayer(GetLocalPlayer(), 0, 0, I2S(x))
					set x = x - 1 //decrease x
					exitwhen x == 0 //exit when x is 0
				endloop

//do some more loops
				set x = 0 //reset x
				loop
					//dispay some more text
					set x = x + 1 //increase x
					exitwhen x == i //exit when x is i
				endloop

Good

The code below describes why each action is taken if the action may be unclear. For example, it states that i determines how many times to repeat an action (meaning it's being set to 1000 to repeat it 1000 times). It states x is the current number of repetitions. Even someone who can't read code could understand what the code did by its comments.
JASS:
				local integer i = 1000 //how many times to repeat an action
				local integer x //current number of repetitions

//repeat backwards to display the value of x in warcraft 3 from the value of i to 0
				//i -> 0
				set x = i
				loop
					set x = x - 1
					exitwhen x == 0
				endloop

//repeat forwards to display the value of x in warcraft 3 from 0 to the value of i
				//0 -> i
				set x = 0
				loop
					set x = x + 1
					exitwhen x == i
				endloop

There are various styles to making good documentation.
JASS:
			/*=====================================================
			=====================================================*/
JASS:
			////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
			//
				////////////////////////////////////////////////
				//
				////////////////////////////////////////////////
			//
			//
			////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
JASS:
			/*------------------------------------------------------
			------------------------------------------------------*/

There is no set way to do it, so the best way to write good documentation for code is to write what looks good.

A good thing to do with code is to list out all of the functions, variables, structs, modules, and etc at the top of the code (a simple list) and to place a descriptive list below it (a second list with maybe a paragraph of information on what each thing does and examples of how they are used).

Last edited:
Level 13
i have to agree with jagex, unfortunately. you've made tons of tutorials and they're not even very good.
please just delete the lot of them, start over. make fewer tutorials and make them make sense. i can't even agree that you think comments are only used for explaining why and not what or other questions.

i know it sounds harsh, but i'm serious. i've given plus rep to other tutorial makers on this site but you've made many more tutorials than any of them and afair i haven't plus rep you for any of yours. now if there was some random post in the forums of yours that i plus rep, that's another story entirely.

Level 31
i know it sounds harsh, but i'm serious. i've given plus rep to other tutorial makers on this site but you've made many more tutorials than any of them and afair i haven't plus rep you for any of yours. now if there was some random post in the forums of yours that i plus rep, that's another story entirely.

Just doing it to share my experience. If you can make it better, go for it =). I don't have an ego, I don't care ^_^. The only thing that gets to me is when people block off knowledge or resources because they can't find a use for it themselves ;\. If you rewrite this and it's even near identical, then submit it and get this one gy'd. As long as the information is out there chapter by chapter, it's all good.

I just kind of write them straight through once now because I have a lot to write to share everything I've learned over the years with vJASS ^_-. Can't bother myself with too much quality, I just get the information out there and as long as one person can understand it, then at the least it can be translated ;P. The vJASS tut series though (and this is a chapter from it) did have a lot of effort put into it. This actually went through 5 revisions I think ;o. The variable chapter, which I'll get to eventually, will be an interactive tutorial using String Parser to introduce variables, this way you don't have to see any unfamiliar code when learning how they work ;D.