• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introducing: Hive Heroes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
tom-and-jerry-tom-the-cat.gif
Me came out of the cave after 2 days throwing rotten tomato at Moosey. Sorry Ralle, i must be necessary evil and i didn't ask you for some Panadol ™.

I would agreed that the bonus EXP from uploading resource is just humongously unfair and also triggering war between cough "peasant" and heroes. So this was the right call of removing but HURRY THE FIEND UP. Unless you have policy of removing bonus exp after that, I can't wait to burn someone house down. :xxd:
Do not ever picture us as peasant, 9000 militia can destroy 100 "heroes".
I still wanna talk the fact the name itself is dystopian, should I make myself a group called Hive Villain or Hive Vigilante? :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 31
I won't change my opinion, but you have clearly misunderstood what my point is, my point is NOT that you arent allowed to earn money, its that you lure subscribers with "special" perks which in my opinion is the WRONG way to go, it's obnoxious really.
And these "perks" will often with time go out of hand with future updates with new ways to lure subscribers because its no longer about the health of the website but about status of who has the thickest wallet.
This is just my opinion and i can't change anything about this, only you can, but the fact that you got so angry with this only proves that it contains truth, thats basic psychology, and yes i do study psychology.
But i won't argue anymore because im leaving this site, however i suggest you look on this movie (Ready Player One) and you might learn something.
Aside the exp perk being controversal, especially on people making resource. These are just comestic stuff, they might be here to replace the donation through paypal. (I wish Ralle let the Hero Subscription stuff contributed the total ammount of donation for an award and a perma custom icon.)

Ralle maybe missed your point but you shouldn't be taking this vocal about "lure the people with the biggest wallet". These people don't subscribe out of nowhere or without reasoning, they just do this to help him grow the site. If Ralle have those money, he will expend the benefit for everyone not just the heroes.

Beside, this feature is still new and even the changes about the controversal perk, I can expect more opinion that facing negative toward Hive Heroes.

Last edited:
Level 40
however i suggest you look on this movie (Ready Player One) and you might learn something
what exactly is the important lesson that this nostalgiabait crap is imparting, mr. psychologist? "hey we got all these familiar characters here, don't you feel all warm and fuzzy inside now, go and buy all their products now"? the shitty book has pages upon pages just listing all the video games and movies that protagonist is into
good riddance

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I won't change my opinion, but you have clearly misunderstood what my point is, my point is NOT that you arent allowed to earn money, its that you lure subscribers with "special" perks which in my opinion is the WRONG way to go, it's obnoxious really.
And these "perks" will often with time go out of hand with future updates with new ways to lure subscribers because its no longer about the health of the website but about status of who has the thickest wallet.
I didn't know you'd start a reply so fast so I edited my earlier post, adding this:
Okay upon further reading and getting my head a little bit further out of my rear. I think I missed the point. You are talking about the bonuses in particular. Only time can prove if I am a white knight or a greedy goblin. But waiting years to implement it because I'd rather make the site cool is sort of one piece of evidence. And me most likely ending up removing exp bonus in a couple of days is another.

Onto this:
This is just my opinion and i can't change anything about this, only you can, but the fact that you got so angry with this only proves that it contains truth, thats basic psychology, and yes i do study psychology.
But i won't argue anymore because im leaving this site, however i suggest you look on this movie (Ready Player One) and you might learn something.
Aaaah, you are calling me a sixer :D. Haha. I love that book and movie.

Back to me getting angry. I got angry because I misunderstood the part about being greedy. I thought you meant it was greedy to make money but you meant that perks for a membership makes the creator greedy because better perks might yield more paying memberships.
Here we disagree. I think it's a harmless way to appreciate supporters.

I do agree with you about one thing. If I start to only care about making the "hero experience" better I have missed the point.

If you stick around you'll see that all my plans have nothing to do with this membership and I probably won't revisit it except to nerf it and fix the hero glow on mobile view. If not, good luck doing what matters to you :)

Also. Thanks so much to everyone who decided to become a hero so far. It warms my heart.

I can't wait to burn someone house down
Can I up my monthly sub in order to get protection from Ralle to know that my house will not be burned down? Or at least get speed repairs like paying to use multiple peasants, etc?
yes i do study psychology.
I have had great psychological discussions with non-human supercomputers in the past. Are you a real person? What's your favorite Warcraft model? There are real people like Shido who upload assets, and then there are other people that might be supercomputers, but I don't know.
I'm not able to visualize why you were thinking Ralle was angry. I never read anything where he sounded angry from my interpretation. So then I thought, maybe you are the supercomputer bait come to get us and ascribe anger onto people until the supercomputer can find somewhere it sticks.

On the flipside, if you succeed, maybe it will be like Burning Crusade Classic where the players would spit on anyone who had the paid benefits from Blizzard. I heard they were using the ingame "spit" emote, which ended up forcing Blizzard to remove the emote to try to preserve their income. Imagine if we had everyone on the Hive spitting on people like me for glowing and/or for supporting the site. That would be hilarious.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
While we are discussing swag for profiles.

Me and Ralle are talking about adding the option for heroes to customize their swag i.e. hide the watermark, user name color and glow etc.
And yes, for members to hide the UPGRADE ACCOUNT gif banner. Which as of right now is visible to all members who hasn't upgraded their account.

Furthermore, we have already plans to add more avatar glows, so that heroes can customize their look (e.g. a glow for each race, like Unholy Aura instead of the Holy Aura for undead etc.). And perhaps the ability to change the EXP progress bar color.

But that just about summons up the plans we have for the hero system.

We have other, much bigger and non-profitable plans for the site. That we can't wait to show you guys! :D

Thank you all for your support!

Level 9
Even without perk name color will change alongside site theme. So there is NO unique color, just glowing. If unique color would be possible in any site theme, that would be a thing. Just saying.

BTW, orc theme is still not finished. I rather doubt it's problem on my side since everything works for me just fine except orc theme. Again - just saying.
Sorry but subscription-based-status stuff like this is usually if not always the beginning of something really nasty called Greed.

It starts out simple with getting something small as an extra bonus but it always develops into more and more until it eventually just falls apart.
It's all about the money in the end... and people thinking otherwise clearly lives in denial.

The beginning of the end.
Do you have a job? Do you get paid for it? How is that different from this? Or do you work for free and only eat the vegetables you can grow in the side of the road?

The reason I ask for money is because I want to do this more. I want it to become at least a part time job for me. So I can work more on the site. I want to remove ads and get paid a little for the time I spend improving the site. I want this site to remain free to use so I am not ever going to require people payment to use it. As I don't sell a product, a subscription to support the site is the best alternative.

There is no shame in making a bit of money off something you love doing. Typically it results in being able to do it more instead of one hour every other sunday.

---

Oh by the way. I have been planning to do this since we ran XenForo 1. I just never got around to it. I'd rather focus on cool features. This feature is in many ways more for me so I have been putting it off for years.

---

EDIT:
Okay upon further reading and getting my head a little bit further out of my rear. I think I missed the point. You are talking about the bonuses in particular. Only time can prove if I am a white knight or a greedy goblin. But waiting years to implement it because I'd rather make the site cool is sort of one piece of evidence. And me most likely ending up removing exp bonus in a couple of days is another.
I understand you're angry Ralle, but at least he's honest.
And remember Phuqinhell: he put much work into Hive. If you bash it, he gets hurt. Despite how this idea might look like it's always a good to be gentle. :)
I actually rephrased Ralle's post from when I got hurt because of bad comments about my "creation". I think it's time to return good word. :)

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
And remember Phuqinhell: he put much work into Hive. If you bash it, he gets hurt. Despite how this idea might look like it's always a good to be gentle.
He hasn't been that much active since he created the account (2019), however, he should not get angry in such short notice and try to adapt to and criticize the changes. Even if some of the news might not be that good for him, it's not the end of the world or site as he called it. He should be patient and participate making the community develop.

Level 18
Oh by the way. I have been planning to do this since we ran XenForo 1. I just never got around to it. I'd rather focus on cool features. This feature is in many ways more for me so I have been putting it off for years.
It's for you in the sense that you get the money, but it's ultimately for us as we have all been extensively using this site over the years, without any payment of any sort. You could argue that since it's a community site, it should be free, as all other community site, but that would be being blind to how the world works and how little time everybody actually has. How can one expect that such a high quality site works for free forever.
I'm not giving you money, I'm funding the community for a brighter future.

Only time can prove if I am a white knight or a greedy goblin.
You're defo not a greedy goblin and I hope it is clear in your mind as well. You should feel no shame at asking a contribution from us.
If anything you're a warrior of the light who brought this site to us and maintained it over the years for no other reason that passion (and with no other fuel than passion as well).

but the fact that you got so angry with this only proves that it contains truth, thats basic psychology, and yes i do study psychology.
We have a saying in French, it says "psychologie de comptoir" it basically means "pub psychology" (pub as in the place where you gather with friends to get beers). The saying basically means "the psychology done by drunk people at a pub late at night". This is what your psychology looks like to me.

EDIT: Passion, honesty and good-will is so rare nowadays that I can't stress enough how important it is to support people who spend time working on this site. They are bearing these very qualities.

Last edited:
I feel like some people are missing the whole thing of Hive is completely free to use and all features are open to members which is free to obtain.

A bunch of cosmetics for a subscription to support the owner of the site I think is completely reasonable. If Ralle ever did turn round and say only subscribers can download models or something like that then there would be an issue. As it stands I think this is great Ralle gets some financial security out of spending time on the site and people get some shinies in exchange.

Level 3
to be honest i always felt bad for using the site for so many years without any contribution towards it. unforunately due to the country i live in, its almost impossible for me to make a donation to the website but i always hoped you would add some ads to the website that are not obnoxious to keep hive going.
regardless of the direction hive takes ill always be greatful to the people who kept hive alive for all these years.

Level 9
(...)unfortunately due to the country i live in, its almost impossible for me to make a donation to the website(...)
Also in some parts of the world because of geopolitical situation, people - such as myself - were forced to take out all their money from banks and terminate their accounts. I can only hope all shit will pass. :(

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I will arrange for a full day every month to work exclusively on Hive
Damn, your bosses sure are open-minded and kind. My company would never ever agree to such a thing. (EDIT: I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you are taking a day off work here.)

Congrats on getting more stuff done to the site.

Last edited:
Level 10
I say this is a great a idea.

I think we all been in a situation were we worked our ass (wheather for passion or whatever) for free, just because. But when you start having responsabilties, it gets harder and harder putting time into things that doesn't generate any income. Although I understand why some people might be againts the XP boost, I think we all should be a little bit flexible as we all know the current state of the game is.

In my case, I'm just sad I can't help contributing because of my country (as someone mentioned before), and that I'd never have the NE or Human rank 😂

01010010 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01100001
1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 0110001 0110011 0110000 1101101 1100010 0101110 1101110 1100101 1110100 0101111 1100010 1100101 1100111 1101001 1101110 0101110 1110100 1111000 1110100

Level 9
01000100 01001111 00100000 01001110 01001111 01010100 00100000 01000011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 01000101 01001110 01000111 01000101 00100000 01001101 01000101
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01010010 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01100001 00101100 00100000 01010011 01101000 01101001 01100100 01101111 00101110
1101000 1110100 1110100 1110000 0111010 0101111 0101111 0110001 0110011 0110000 1101101 1100010 0101110 1101110 1100101 1110100 0101111 1100010 1100101 1100111 1101001 1101110 0101110 1110100 1111000 1110100
Well, that clarified everything. 😆

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
As much as I love this site, even the lowest-tier price for me is more than what I'd be comfortable spending. I like the idea of supporting The Hive, and I've given some money here or there in the past, but I really want to get my money's worth out of a subscription model. Paying this much money for just internet points is not worth it to me. If I ever sign up for any of these plans, please note that I don't want any of these kinds of features. I'd rather just be me.

Level 16
1 USD doesn't make any sense for Ralle, as he has stated in the past. Because there are fees, Ralle would basically receive 0,35 USD from 1 USD patrons.
That's still 127,75USD for the site a year, and 365USD out of my pocket a year.

I mean, sure, it's a small income, but for us living in developing countries it would be like spending 25USD every month.

I just realized it's a monthly subscription. I feel dumb.

Edit: Question, how do we go about unsubcribing, is it a complicated matter?

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
That's still 127,75USD for the site a year, and 365USD out of my pocket a year.

I mean, sure, it's a small income, but for us living in developing countries it would be like spending 25USD every month.

I just realized it's a monthly subscription. I feel dumb.
5 bucks a day for Hive, Ralle could work on Hive full time if that was a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.