• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Interface For Item System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hey there once again!

I have been making my campaign for almost a year now. I have already released 12 alpha tests from it. And the campaign soon starts to be in beta stage. However, before beta I want to have an awesome item system for the campaign. Almost all testers have said to me that there are too less item space(almost 500 items at the campaign). That is why I want this.

So, the system is almost finished, but it does not have a "skin" or an "interface". That is why I'm here. I'm requesting you to make one. Here are some details about the system and the system is attached to the post.

The system is made by Flame_Phoenix and it's called "CBS". Here is a quote from Flame_Phoenix about the system.
Flame_Phoenix said:
CBS will allow you to store many items depending on the size of the bag. CBS core is mostly done now, so now I am focusing my attention in its interface.

Unlike other bag systems, CBS uses an unique way of creating the interface. While other systems use dummy models and units to create backgrounds and borders, thus making the system harder to import, my system, CBS, uses a cinematic filter.

Cinematic filters are easy to do and easy to change if you know some basics.
Now thing is, I am mainly a programmer, and so my designing skills are not the best. Aeroblyctos (leader of the campaign) asked for a better interface, however I don't think I can do much better.
Therefore if you have experience in skinning and in cinematic filters, this thread is just for you:
- We need an interface for CBS

Here is then some details about the system itself.
Flame_Phoenix said:
This interface has some requirements. The image must be in BLP format and must be 512x512 sized. Please note that the once in game the 512x512 image will be resized to fit the screen.
Here are some links for you to understand the world of filters:
Creating a Custom Fade Filter
[Tutorial] Creating custom fade filter with The Gimp [Archive] - The Helper Forums

The interface also needs to have alpha channels in specific places.

View attachment 35111

This is the current filter being used. The red areas represent the alpha channel, areas that must be wholes in the filter.
Although it looks nice in 512x512 format, in game it gets unfocused and looks like this:

View attachment 35112

If you are an experienced skinner or know how to make filters, than this should not be hard to do for you.
Now the image represents what we want, but we want it with more quality, a lot more.
I would also like to add borders. Human borders around the alpha channels, just like in the image:

View attachment 35113

If you manage to create the interface, you will have more rep from me and from Aeroblyctos and you will have credits on the system.
Please if some one is able to do this, I would appreciate a lot.

If you can do this, I will surely give you huge credits at the campaign and also rep in here. This is very important for the campaign and I really hope you can do this. Please, do ask question if needed, I or Flame_Phoenix will answer.

Last edited:
i dont quite understand what you need, i understand that u have a system that can hold more than 6 items but what do u need? the backpack toolbar to be designed? i would love to help you
Please look at the second quote:
This interface has some requirements. The image must be in BLP format and must be 512x512 sized. Please note that the once in game the 512x512 image will be resized to fit the screen.
Here are some links for you to understand the world of filters:
Creating a Custom Fade Filter
[Tutorial] Creating custom fade filter with The Gimp [Archive] - The Helper Forums

The interface also needs to have alpha channels in specific places.

Attachment 35111

This is the current filter being used. The red areas represent the alpha channel, areas that must be wholes in the filter.
Although it looks nice in 512x512 format, in game it gets unfocused and looks like this:

Attachment 35112

If you are an experienced skinner or know how to make filters, than this should not be hard to do for you.
Now the image represents what we want, but we want it with more quality, a lot more.
I would also like to add borders. Human borders around the alpha channels, just like in the image:

Attachment 35113

If you manage to create the interface, you will have more rep from me and from Aeroblyctos and you will have credits on the system.
Please if some one is able to do this, I would appreciate a lot.
What I need, is a cinematic filter that could be the interface of the system. But with quality.
Please explain your idea of "bagpack toolbar", maybe we are saying the same thing without knowing.

Level 8
well what i was thinking was something along the line of the inventory slots (with six spaces) and u had somhow added more slots and u wanted the background for the slots to be changed so that it had a background that supported X slots. but now uv said that and i look more carefull i think i was completely wrong i can do skins (quite well) but without detailed instructions of what to change and detailed description of the outcome u want and the texture file in tga or jpg format to do anything.

Level 21
I got an add-on to my WC3 wich allows me 24 extra inventory slots ONLY in campaigns, Blizzard campaigns... I don't remember exactly the files it uses or the URL:(

It adds a kind of multiboard DOWN the screen, on the inventory button. pressing it makes a multiboard with interface trackables, not game trackables. That system helped me win the campaigns XD. Search on google for it and see.

Level 9
After seeing your demo, I dont understand why you use cinematic filters? The quality is horrible, and it increase the size alot. Using models as the layout would increase the quality alot, and decrease the size alot.

Using trackable would also be a [+]. Just too bad that we cant delete trackables again

Level 9
The quality is too bad. It really look horrible. A model isnt that harder to import than a skin. You only need to create one destructble.

But I think you shall download Gmax, and the dex script, and create the whole system with models. It isnt that hard to learn, since you only need to create planes.

The quality is too bad. It really look horrible. A model isnt that harder to import than a skin. You only need to create one destructble.

But I think you shall download Gmax, and the dex script, and create the whole system with models. It isnt that hard to learn, since you only need to create planes.
It is because the quality is not so good that I am requesting for help.
Besides, I never made skins nor models before, I am really lost with this ... I also don't know how to use a background model, it just covers everything else, even things it shouldn't cover.
Anyway, can you give me a link to the tool you are referring and indicate me some tutorial on tracktables or models as well ?

Gmax is a light and free version of 3dsMax. Search after it on google.

Both the Hive and wc3campaigns have tutorials about how to model. So I suggest you to look there.

Here is a tutorial how to use trackable
WC3Jass.com :: View script - Trackables (Mouse detection)
Thx for pointing out the tutorial and program.
However, tracktables have no major advantage over units, the only I can see is that I can know when my mouse passes over one, but I don't use that on my system, so I don't have much use for it.
Also, I can move/hide/delete them, which is extremely bad, what do I do when I need to reload need items ? I just create massive tracktables ? Massive leaks ...

About the program, Those tutorial teach people how to do models in 3D, not in 2D...
I'll see what I can do since filter are not the answer...
Thx for help.

Level 9
Selecting a unit is slower than selecting a trackable. It takes arround 0.2 sec before an event register you select a unit. So its a little bit faster.

No you dont need to create a trackable for every item. You only create a trackable at the position where there should be a button. Then you add an icon over the trackable. (the icon is a destructable)

Or actually the trackable is just a invisible models, and the icon need to be under the trackable, else you cant select it.

The layout from my system is created in 3D, I just used the skins from wc3. So you only need to know the basic in 3D to create the layout.

Selecting a unit is slower than selecting a trackable. It takes arround 0.2 sec before an event register you select a unit. So its a little bit faster.

No you dont need to create a trackable for every item. You only create a trackable at the position where there should be a button. Then you add an icon over the trackable. (the icon is a destructable)

Or actually the trackable is just a invisible models, and the icon need to be under the trackable, else you cant select it.
Seriously no one will die if we select the unit 0.2 seconds later...
Besides that will force me to have a fixed location for the interface, and I will always have tractables activated waiting to run nothing. ALso, if the player selects by accident an invisible tracktable this will be a problem, because he will mess up the system.
The great advantage of units is that you can kill them, and delete any tracks.
I have to see this s little better... Still, thx for mentioning them.

The layout from my system is created in 3D, I just used the skins from wc3. So you only need to know the basic in 3D to create the layout.
This is total death for me...

Level 9
You can just make a trigger that checks if you have opened the fullscreen. If you havent then it does nothing if you hit a trackable.

But I like the mouse over function trackables have. I use it when a player have the mouse over an item, a text apper with info about the text.

I saw your system was bugged when you drag a selection to select more units (icons).
Trackables disable drag and drop selection ( i think i also saw a trigger that does that)

Level 21
Flame Phoenix, your system works with save/load system? Are the slots active? I KNOW that Aeroblyctos need more ACTIVE slots... The system looks good but it is realy... a little bit buged! You should put all the interface in the map in a corner of the map, so it will not be placed on cliffs, units or doodads.

You can just make a trigger that checks if you have opened the fullscreen. If you havent then it does nothing if you hit a trackable.

But I like the mouse over function trackables have. I use it when a player have the mouse over an item, a text apper with info about the text.

I saw your system was bugged when you drag a selection to select more units (icons).
Trackables disable drag and drop selection ( i think i also saw a trigger that does that)
Good idea. I my replace my system with tracktables and re-code it from zero.
About the bug, it doesn't exist, I tested the system heavily and I didn't find your occurrence. However, if you select multiple bags at same time the items will change places of course, but we can't blame the system for being used by a moron user xD.

Flame Phoenix, your system works with save/load system? Are the slots active? I KNOW that Aeroblyctos need more ACTIVE slots... The system looks good but it is realy... a little bit buged! You should put all the interface in the map in a corner of the map, so it will not be placed on cliffs, units or doodads.
I am taking care of a save load system and I already found an answer for how to make it. About "is really bugged", please report the bug you are talking about, because the system is NOT bugged at all, afaik. Also, The system is in the middle of the map because I wanted it to be there, The system is JESP and so it means the Aero can choose any place in the map to place the system, as long as he give the X and Y coordinates of the left bottom point. Placing the system on a corner is something I really shouldn't be worried about at all.

I will now start remaking the system, Let's see what I can do.
About the models, is there anyone that can help me ? I need some models for the "quit" button before starting to remake the system.

Level 9
How you want you exit button to look like? and what size?.

Every icon in my system is at size 32x32, but buttons is 26x26.

Here is a image where I tried to show how to create a system with
trackables. Maybe you know how, maybe you dont.

Attachments

• tuttrack.gif
    tuttrack.gif
    66 KB · Views: 102
Level 9
Yes ofcause. Here they are in 3 differents sizes. I can maybe teach you a little bit about moddeling. How to create one and export it to warcrafts .mdx format.

I will take a look at your quit button later.

Add me on messenger. My E-mail is:

========================= EDIT =========================
How big do you want the exit button?

Attachments

• FSTrackable16.MDX
    1.3 KB · Views: 63
  • FSTrackable26.MDX
    1.3 KB · Views: 59
  • FSTrackable32.MDX
    1.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yes ofcause. Here they are in 3 differents sizes. I can maybe teach you a little bit about moddeling. How to create one and export it to warcrafts .mdx format.
I know How to import models, my real problem is how to create them, thx for the offer.

Add me on messenger. My E-mail is:
mekc@......
Added. Also you should delete your e-mail now to prevent Spam Bots from catching it.

How big do you want the exit button?
The normal size. Just like when you press the "Menu Bar".

Active slots means slots like the normal ones : that transfers the item abillities to the hero.
That would require an extension of the bag.
CBS is a set of parallel arrays working together to store the items and their information. It is designed only for that use, to store things, therefore having active slots won't be possible, neither would it be balanced for the campaign.
Besides if the hero is not wearing the items, why should they give bonuses to him ? The items are saved away in a bag ...

I already started talking to mek, I hope he can teach me making models ...
Today I didn't advanced with CBS I was busy releasing a new version "Beta 1.1" of my own project, but tomorrow, if mek is online, I will try going deep on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.