• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Increasing the amount of tiles available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey there!

For the map I am currently starting to make, I need to have multiple different terrained areas, preferably with significantly different tiles. Is there any way to increase the amount of tiles available, above the 13 spaces that you get by default?

I've heard that it may be possible with WEU, but also heard that WEU may not be a good idea for mapmaking for some reason, though no-one really specified why :(

Cheers!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
16 is the maximum you can use. The w3e map format used to store the mesh data of maps only allocates 4 bits to terrain texture.

Be aware that atleast 1 cliff is manditory and all cliffs force the use of their accompanying texture as part of a requirements relationship defined in various game data files.

What is strange is that it also allocates 4 bits to cliff type but the game will only ever load the first 2 declared cliff types and resolve invalid cliff types as cliff type 0 (first declared).

Status
Not open for further replies.