• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Import custom tilesets in reforged world editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'am suprised noone else has asked this yet. How do I import custom tilsets in reforged? When I import a custom sand tileset and change the path of lets say ashen_dirt_diffuse.dds, ashen_dirt_normal.dds and ashen_dirt_orm.dds the result is (see below). I also tried to just change them one by one, but the result was always the same( a bit difference, since it changed the different textures. I've heard reforged textures have 3 textures in total. I will also attack my custom tile (incase that's important).

I hope someone can help me. I've been told that it is possible, but on the discord, I only get bad answers and then have to wait weeks for another solution that does'nt work/helps either. I'm no profesional so please don't use any terms that a mortal would not understand. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• test.PNG
    test.PNG
    875.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Sand2.blp
    121.1 KB · Views: 54
Are you trying to replace Reforged SD tileset or the HD tileset?

- If Reforged HD tileset then see my replies in different threads with a same topic if it will help you.

Can't replace the textures
Importing Tiles in reforged?

(I recommend not using classic textures in Reforged as the old ones doesn't have normal and orm textures, and don't ever import diffuse texture as normal and orm, all these three textures are different. Also Reforged HD tilesets format is .dds not .blp, use BLPLab to convert).

- If Reforged SD then it should be the same as the old ones.

Here are the paths for the classic terrain tiles. If .blp doesn't work then use BLPLab to convert it to .dds.

--All Warcraft 3 Tile Paths--

Last edited:
Level 3
Okay, I managed to replace the texture with my sand one, however, it looks really weird when I zoom out. It gets dark and I can't see the tileset anymore. That is probably because as you said, classic textures dont have normals and orm textures. Is there a way I can use the classic tilesets in the reforged editor for my map?

Level 3
Ye, I did that. As I said I managed to get it to work and when I zoom out it looks weird in the editor (and I assume ingame aswell). The first picture is how it looks when zoomed in and the second one how it looks when I scroll out. What I wanted to know was, if there was a way to make the tileset work just as it did in warcrat 3 (pre reforged) without any problems.

Attachments

• test1.PNG
    test1.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 150
  • test32.PNG
    test32.PNG
    154.2 KB · Views: 168
It's probably the fog since fog (and the DNC lighting - neither or both) is/are broken in Reforged Editor, but the fog (and lighting) works well in game. Try changing the Near and Far Fog Distance in the Map Options (This isn't a solution but this might make the dimming disappear, like I mentioned Reforged Editor still needs a fix by Blizzard).

Last edited:
Level 3
Ok I guess that's a matter of waiting for blizzard to finally fix their game. Would you recommend using earlier versions of the world editor (pre reforged) to work on my map? I will only do terrain and the thing I'm worried about is, if I wanted to transfer my map to reforged one day, that it simply won't work and I worked hard for nothing. Because as the editor is right know, it's too much of a hassle to deal with it.

Level 12
Sorry to interrupt guys, I am really no texture expert.

But isn't usually this issue (when zooming out) related to the lack of Mipmaps ?

Level 25
Hello, I can't make all custom tileset textures in my old map work with Reforged. I have tried using DDS textures instead of BLPs but it didn't work either. Strangely some of the textures work (barrens and some from LordearonSummer) but most are not. Is there any difference between the tileset textures defined maybe in the SLK file or are my files simply broken for Reforged?

My map uses 16 different tileset ground textures achieved by JNGP or some external tools.

I have attached the folder with my ground textures.

These textures are working:
  • Rough Dirt (Barrens): Barrens_DirtRough.dds
  • Grass (Lordearon Summer): Lords_Grass.dds
  • Dark Grass (Lordearon Summer): Lords_GrassDark.dds
  • Grassy Dirt (Lordearon Summer): Lords_DirtGrass.dds
  • Rough Dirt (Lordearon Summer): Lords_DirtRough.dds
Only the preview in the palette is wrong but the preview on the left is correct.

These are the textures not working:
  • Rock (unbuildable, Lordearon Summer): Lords_Rock.dds?
  • Grass (Lordearon Winter): Lordw_Grass.dds
  • Grassy Snow: Lordw_SnowGrass.dds
  • Rough Dirt: Lords_DirtRough.dds
  • Dirt (Lordearon Fall): Lordf_Dirt.dds (I hope I am not using the Lordearon Summer one)
  • Dirt (Lordearon Winter): Lordw_Dirt.dds
  • Rough Dirt (Lordearon Winter): Lordw_DirtRough.dds
  • Dark Grass (Lordearon Fall): Lordf_GrassDark.dds
  • Grassy Dirt (Lordearon Fall): Lordf_DirtGrass.dds

These textures are used from the standard game I think (or are not working as well):
  • Abyss (unbuildable)
  • Snow
I think I had set the tilesets once with an external tool:

Code:
///! external TileSetter L LgrsFdroFdrtFdrgWsngLgrdWdrtWdroWsnwWrokOabyBdrhLdroLrokLdrgWgrsLgrsFgrsFgrdFrok

I am not sure what the difference between the textures is and I am no expert on tilesets. They seem to have some variations determined from the texture.
Maybe Reforged has some different detection or another limit of tileset textures?! They all worked fine in classic!

Attachments

• TerrainArtOld.7z
    15.5 MB · Views: 44
Level 5
I'am suprised noone else has asked this yet. How do I import custom tilsets in reforged? When I import a custom sand tileset and change the path of lets say ashen_dirt_diffuse.dds, ashen_dirt_normal.dds and ashen_dirt_orm.dds the result is (see below). I also tried to just change them one by one, but the result was always the same( a bit difference, since it changed the different textures. I've heard reforged textures have 3 textures in total. I will also attack my custom tile (incase that's important).

I hope someone can help me. I've been told that it is possible, but on the discord, I only get bad answers and then have to wait weeks for another solution that does'nt work/helps either. I'm no profesional so please don't use any terms that a mortal would not understand. Thanks in advance
Would you please drop me more Reforged Tiles and Cliffs in a blp format in a classic customized file? Please. 🥺

Level 3
Hmm maybe i can help you guys to understand how to make a custom tile. I'm no tileset expert but seeing you kinda strugling with it i think i can clarify one thing or two for beginners passing by, who are getting confused with so many errors. I'll be very didatic for beginners and despite i'll be talking a little too much, this is the basics, the very essential you need to know and use to make a custom tile. I'm not giving you anything that you don't need to know or use in order to succeed. If you're a beginner and skip too much steps you may lose something needed and stay confused, but feel free to skip some steps if you're more experienced in this, and please be patient.

----------------------------------- FIRST PART SD TILES (CLASSIC GRAPHICS) --------------------------------------------------------------

First follow this tutorial to properly prepare your new custom tile image. Jump to layout of a tile.

You can create your custom tile image with GIMP, Paint.net or Photoshop or whatever but i recommend GIMP. Why? I'll tell you here, finish reading. The tile layout of that tutorial still works even nowadays so paint your tile accordingly to that layout. After you've done your tile image, you then need to understand the formats and the paths in wich you need to import them into the world editor. The file formats are: .blp to SD tiles (classic graphics tile) and .dds to HD tiles (reforged graphics tile), to create HD tiles you need 3 tile images to form 1 HD tile, diffuse, orm and normal images. I'll show them, be patient, i know you want to skip all this to get a simple answer but keep reading, you'll soon understand what to do. Let me show you with a custom tile i made starting with just a simple image i took from a bundle i think from a user called NanO here in HIVE a looong time ago, this is the image:

Using this single image i created this tile layout below. I exported the image as .tga using GIMP, no compression.

If you want to know more about how to make tile layouts, check this tutorial (Effortless Terrain Tile Making Tutorial)

Now to import the SD custom tile to the game you need first convert it to .blp. Theres a program here in HIVE to help with that, it is (BLP <-> TGA Converter) You just need to drag and drop your .tga tile image upon the BLPconv.exe file and it will convert the .tga into .blp and land it inside the same folder the BLPconv.exe file is. Rename the .BLP part to .blp. Now you have your SD custom tile. Notice that, to not get any errors using BLP to TGA converter the image width and height must be divisible by 16. This guy here, Kantarion, explain more about tilesets resolution to you at part IV.Warcraft 3 engine : How it read tile samples resolution, be patient and read, you need to understand that if you're a beginner (Warcraft 3 Tileset Tutorial - By Kantarion).

Ok so let's import into world editor. Open the editor, open your map, then open the import manager(shortcut F12). Click on file, import file, find the .blp image of your SD custom tile. Now you must understand the path issue. When you import a file, it will be putted into a default path in the editor, if my file is called barrens_dirtcracked.blp, it will become something like war3mapImported\barrens_dirtcracked.blp. This is the default path it will give to your imports. To make the game understand you'll use this image as a tile you must change the path to match some of the default paths of the normal tiles the game has. That's it, that's how you create a custom tile, you prepare an image, import it and change it's file path.

When you create a map, you set it with a default tileset, it may be Dalaran, Lordaeron Fall, Lordaeron Summer, whatever, the map is created with a tileset, the tiles in these tilesets can be replaced, switched or even added into another tilesets. You must then choose your aproach, you can use your new custom tile image to replace a tile of the tileset your map has or you can replace a tile of another tileset not being used by your map and then bring this replaced tile to your current tileset, adding your custom tile to the current tileset your map has, all this by just changing the paths. I'm talking too much but it's too simple.

Let me show you with an example. Let's say your map has Lordaeron Summer tileset. If you chose the first aproach, you can choose a tile from Lordaeron Summer to be replaced with your custom tile. Let's say you want to replace Rough dirt with your custom tile. To discover the path you must set to your custom tile image to replace that tile, you can use a program called CascView (Casc Storages - Main page), this program explores warcraft 3 files. Or you can just consult this list here (--All Warcraft 3 Tile Paths--). I prefer CASCview cause it doesn't make you dependant on others. Here's how CASCview works:

If you skipped the CASCview explanation, continue here:

IXcXafL.png

Back into world editor. At import manager, double click your custom tile import to rename it. Put the path you just found for Rough Dirt tile. Done. All set for your SD custom tile. You replaced Rough dirt tile with your custom tile. Now save you map. (always save your map in SD mode of the world editor, saving your map in HD mode will wash your models and imports with HD paths and will occur visualization errors when you're in SD mode. Use HD mode only to visualize or to check your map, always save in SD mode cause it saves your map for both modes properly). You must restart the editor to see the changes. That's it for the first aproach, when you just replace a tile of your current tileset.

If you chose the second aproach, you must choose a tile of another tileset not being used by your map, rename your imported image with that path like you did in the first aproach and always remember to change the .dds for .blp when you're dealing with imported stuff on SD graphics. Then save your map (in SD mode), restart the editor. Now open your map again and follow these instructions to add your custom tile to your current tileset:

----------------------------------- HD TILES (REFORGED GRAPHICS) --------------------------------------------------------------

Ok for HD tiles we'll need 3 textures to form 1 HD tile, diffuse, normal and ORM. If you don't know anything about 3d object materials just know that Diffuse texture is a color image, normal texture will contain the bumps and surface details of our tile and ORM is an alias for Occlusion, Roughness and Metallic maps of this texture, yes ORM is made of 3 maps into 1 texture, each map coded in a color, red for occlusion, green for metallic and blue for roughness. If that sounded too complicated, there's a program that will simplify all that to us. (Bounding Box Software - Materialize) Download and install it. This program will create all these textures automatically but know that you can create each of these textures manually, you just need to search the method to create by hand these textures using some image editors or 3d softwares. Here's how materialize works:

I just need to make a correction at the last image of this tutorial, this is the correct image and explanation:

ok textures prepared, let's move to make the tile layout:

Tile layouts ready it's time to import them into world editor. This is the same process i showed you in SD part. Despite you're dealing with HD textures, do everything in SD mode of the world editor. Use HD mode of the world editor only to check if everything is looking ok. To change the editor mode, click File -> Preferences -> Asset mode - change it to SD/HD

The end. Thanks for reading and learning all this.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe i can help you guys to understand how to make a custom tile. I'm no tileset expert but seeing you kinda strugling with it i think i can clarify one thing or two for beginners passing by, who are getting confused with so many errors. I'll be very didatic for beginners and despite i'll be talking a little too much, this is the basics, the very essential you need to know and use to make a custom tile. I'm not giving you anything that you don't need to know or use in order to succeed. If you're a beginner and skip too much steps you may lose something needed and stay confused, but feel free to skip some steps if you're more experienced in this, and please be patient.

----------------------------------- FIRST PART SD TILES (CLASSIC GRAPHICS) --------------------------------------------------------------

First follow this tutorial to properly prepare your new custom tile image. Jump to layout of a tile.

You can create your custom tile image with GIMP, Paint.net or Photoshop or whatever but i recommend GIMP. Why? I'll tell you here, finish reading. The tile layout of that tutorial still works even nowadays so paint your tile accordingly to that layout. After you've done your tile image, you then need to understand the formats and the paths in wich you need to import them into the world editor. The file formats are: .blp to SD tiles (classic graphics tile) and .dds to HD tiles (reforged graphics tile), to create HD tiles you need 3 tile images to form 1 HD tile, diffuse, orm and normal images. I'll show them, be patient, i know you want to skip all this to get a simple answer but keep reading, you'll soon understand what to do. Let me show you with a custom tile i made starting with just a simple image i took from a bundle i think from a user called NanO here in HIVE a looong time ago, this is the image:

Using this single image i created this tile layout below. I exported the image as .tga using GIMP, no compression.

If you want to know more about how to make tile layouts, check this tutorial (Effortless Terrain Tile Making Tutorial)

Now to import the SD custom tile to the game you need first convert it to .blp. Theres a program here in HIVE to help with that, it is (BLP <-> TGA Converter) You just need to drag and drop your .tga tile image upon the BLPconv.exe file and it will convert the .tga into .blp and land it inside the same folder the BLPconv.exe file is. Rename the .BLP part to .blp. Now you have your SD custom tile. Notice that, to not get any errors using BLP to TGA converter the image width and height must be divisible by 16. This guy here, Kantarion, explain more about tilesets resolution to you at part IV.Warcraft 3 engine : How it read tile samples resolution, be patient and read, you need to understand that if you're a beginner (Warcraft 3 Tileset Tutorial - By Kantarion).

Ok so let's import into world editor. Open the editor, open your map, then open the import manager(shortcut F12). Click on file, import file, find the .blp image of your SD custom tile. Now you must understand the path issue. When you import a file, it will be putted into a default path in the editor, if my file is called barrens_dirtcracked.blp, it will become something like war3mapImported\barrens_dirtcracked.blp. This is the default path it will give to your imports. To make the game understand you'll use this image as a tile you must change the path to match some of the default paths of the normal tiles the game has. That's it, that's how you create a custom tile, you prepare an image, import it and change it's file path.

When you create a map, you set it with a default tileset, it may be Dalaran, Lordaeron Fall, Lordaeron Summer, whatever, the map is created with a tileset, the tiles in these tilesets can be replaced, switched or even added into another tilesets. You must then choose your aproach, you can use your new custom tile image to replace a tile of the tileset your map has or you can replace a tile of another tileset not being used by your map and then bring this replaced tile to your current tileset, adding your custom tile to the current tileset your map has, all this by just changing the paths. I'm talking too much but it's too simple.

Let me show you with an example. Let's say your map has Lordaeron Summer tileset. If you chose the first aproach, you can choose a tile from Lordaeron Summer to be replaced with your custom tile. Let's say you want to replace Rough dirt with your custom tile. To discover the path you must set to your custom tile image to replace that tile, you can use a program called CascView (Casc Storages - Main page), this program explores warcraft 3 files. Or you can just consult this list here (--All Warcraft 3 Tile Paths--). I prefer CASCview cause it doesn't make you dependant on others. Here's how CASCview works:

If you skipped the CASCview explanation, continue here:

IXcXafL.png

Back into world editor. At import manager, double click your custom tile import to rename it. Put the path you just found for Rough Dirt tile. Done. All set for your SD custom tile. You replaced Rough dirt tile with your custom tile. Now save you map. (always save your map in SD mode of the world editor, saving your map in HD mode will wash your models and imports with HD paths and will occur visualization errors when you're in SD mode. Use HD mode only to visualize or to check your map, always save in SD mode cause it saves your map for both modes properly). You must restart the editor to see the changes. That's it for the first aproach, when you just replace a tile of your current tileset.

If you chose the second aproach, you must choose a tile of another tileset not being used by your map, rename your imported image with that path like you did in the first aproach and always remember to change the .dds for .blp when you're dealing with imported stuff on SD graphics. Then save your map (in SD mode), restart the editor. Now open your map again and follow these instructions to add your custom tile to your current tileset:

----------------------------------- HD TILES (REFORGED GRAPHICS) --------------------------------------------------------------

Ok for HD tiles we'll need 3 textures to form 1 HD tile, diffuse, normal and ORM. If you don't know anything about 3d object materials just know that Diffuse texture is a color image, normal texture will contain the bumps and surface details of our tile and ORM is an alias for Occlusion, Roughness and Metallic maps of this texture, yes ORM is made of 3 maps into 1 texture, each map coded in a color, red for occlusion, green for metallic and blue for roughness. If that sounded too complicated, there's a program that will simplify all that to us. (Bounding Box Software - Materialize) Download and install it. This program will create all these textures automatically but know that you can create each of these textures manually, you just need to search the method to create by hand these textures using some image editors or 3d softwares. Here's how materialize works:

I just need to make a correction at the last image of this tutorial, this is the correct image and explanation:

ok textures prepared, let's move to make the tile layout:

Tile layouts ready it's time to import them into world editor. This is the same process i showed you in SD part. Despite you're dealing with HD textures, do everything in SD mode of the world editor. Use HD mode of the world editor only to check if everything is looking ok. To change the editor mode, click File -> Preferences -> Asset mode - change it to SD/HD

The end. Thanks for reading and learning all this.
I am searching my whole community life for someone that is more improved than me,or even equal or even basic tile knowledge. I got a strong sense for a resource pick up and can make a good tile.

But you man have some major tehnical skills that could bring the golden era to tilesets...

I am trying to remaster some areas like outland,dungeon,dungeon 2,icecrown large bricks,ruins large bricks..

Dont tell me that you dont have time, you work on some project.

Man i rly rly need your knowledge in materials and trust me - 100% guaranteed remaster with very 3d classic tiles in HD :)

Level 2
I have been struggling with importing tiles for a while now. I've imported the diffuse, normal and dds and changed the path and set it to HD mode but nothing is happening. @orco6 is it necessary to save in SD mode? I see no difference when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.