• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Crash] Import a model and now can't open my map

Level 3

When I used this model on my map I crushed it and now I can't open my map :'(

I tested my map and it worked, but then I saved it with a unit on the map with this model, closed the editor and tried to open it again, it loaded everything and the editor closed quickly with no alert or error notice detected.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Upload the map here, someone else should be able to open it (I think they need to be on an older version), then they can delete said model and return you a working version. Or PM someone trustworthy if you don't want to share it here.

Also, I recommend saving your map as a folder from here on out. You can do this by clicking Save As in the Editor and choosing the folder option from the drop down menu. This allows you to modify map files outside of the editor, so you could delete the model without even needing to open the map in the editor.

Level 3
Upload the map here, someone else should be able to open it (I think they need to be on an older version), then they can delete said model and return you a working version. Or PM someone trustworthy if you don't want to share it here.

Also, I recommend saving your map as a folder from here on out. You can do this by clicking Save As in the Editor and choosing the folder option from the drop down menu. This allows you to modify map files outside of the editor, so you could delete the model without even needing to open the map in the editor.

Hi Uncle, i'm working in this

Attachments

• 24FFA Divide and Conquer.w3x
    29 MB · Views: 2

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
@Warseeker , it works thanks a lot. The problem was the model of scarlet crusade mage. I really liked it :(
Technically you can still use it. When ready to release the map, save the map as a new file, then add the model back and save the map as another new file. Now you have a "release" version to play in-game that uses the model and an "editor" version without the model which you can still open. It shouldn't be too difficult to manage. Also, saving as a folder like I mentioned before could help in the long run.

Level 3
Technically you can still use it. When ready to release the map, save the map as a new file, then add the model back and save the map as another new file. Now you have a "release" version to play in-game that uses the model and an "editor" version without the model which you can still open. It shouldn't be too difficult to manage. Also, saving as a folder like I mentioned before could help in the long run.
I have noticed that this problem is constantly recurring with models that need to be imported along with their textures. Is this a common problem with no solution?

Level 8
I had this problem alot with custom Textures on 1.36 HD because all my maps supported SD/HD you can check that in the options.
If you are using both SD and HD in your Map you need to manually change the Mode of the imported Texture.
(That worked for me and i had the exact same problem with the same Model before)
123.png

Level 9

Thank you for this information. Just curious, when you mean modifying files outside of the editor is that opening the map from the saved folder? If I recall it still opens the WE just not through the WE launcher right? And creating a second save I would assume be recommended in case any asset somehow bugs out and breaks all imported assets?

I haven’t hopped on WE in a long time since this issue started since 1.33 or whichever patch it was but I want to try making a complete map for once to finally add on HIVE.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Thank you for this information. Just curious, when you mean modifying files outside of the editor is that opening the map from the saved folder? If I recall it still opens the WE just not through the WE launcher right? And creating a second save I would assume be recommended in case any asset somehow bugs out and breaks all imported assets?

I haven’t hopped on WE in a long time since this issue started since 1.33 or whichever patch it was but I want to try making a complete map for once to finally add on HIVE.
You can save the map as a folder in the Save As menu (click the dropdown box to choose it). Then the map can be interacted with outside of the World Editor:
map as folder.png

Last edited: