• Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.

Ladik's MPQ Editor

This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This tool originates from here

For more information regarding this tool and the MoPaQ format, click here

Editor of MPQ archives in the Windows Explorer style. Can execute files directly from archive, extract files, rename them, delete, create archives, including file compression. Supports MPQs from Diablo I to Diablo III.
Works in Windows NT 4.0 or newer, ReactOS 0.3.14 or newer, Wine 1.3.28 or newer (tested in Kubuntu 11.10).

For the changelog, check the included history.txt file in the zip file.

Disclaimer: This tool is created and owned by Ladislav Zezula. For more information, check the links above.
Contents

Ladiq's MPQ Editor v3.6.0.868 (Binary)

Reviews
00:28, 3rd Apr 2014 TriggerHappy: Very useful tool and has support for some of the newer encryption methods. It would be best to use the author link, though.

M

00:28, 3rd Apr 2014
TriggerHappy:

Very useful tool and has support for some of the newer encryption methods. It would be best to use the author link, though.

Roland

R

Roland

The Interface looks like it's from Windows 8, Are you sure this is also Compatible?
I'm really sorry for the necro-posting. But I'm really concerned.

Level 22
Compatible to what? Do you mean Win7?
Anyway it says in the description "Works in Windows NT 4.0 or newer, ReactOS 0.3.14 or never, Wine 1.3.28 or newer (tested in Kubuntu 11.10)." So I assume it would.

Level 3
ok, here is my tiny FAQ i had to figure out, hopefully it will be helpful for one or two:

question:
how to add folder(s)?
answer:
just use drag'n'drop!

question:
when adding files/folders to the MPQ & reload the MPQ,
the added files aren't encrypted/are unknown files!
how can i view custom MPQs with correct structure?
answer:
everytime you make changes to the MPQ
you have to create a new listfile which
you have to use for correct reloading of the MPQ.
create the new listfile by clicking "Tools/Name Breaker/Save list ..."

question:
is MPQ size reduced properly when removing files?
(unlike "MPQ Master 1.1.0" which keeps MPQs growing!)
answer:
yes!

Level 4
Does this work for starcraft 1? My starcraft CD exploded, and it had my CD key written on it, and I want to extract my cd key from the mpq, but the program was only part-way installed, and so this mpq editor doesn't seem to be able to open the mpq. Is that normal, or is it because it was only part-way installed?

pyf

pyf

Level 31
Does this work for starcraft 1?

Yes

My starcraft CD exploded, and it had my CD key written on it, and I want to extract my cd key from the mpq, but the program was only part-way installed, and so this mpq editor doesn't seem to be able to open the mpq. Is that normal, or is it because it was only part-way installed?

I doubt this program is designed to extract such things.
Your game installation / mpq is corrupt.

Your CD Key should be written inside the box you bought.

Level 4
Yeah, I have had that cd since before I was born. I don't have the box >_>. I really should have redeemed the cd key earlier, oh well.

Level 2
Not sure but I've seen and used MPQs with 3GB+
3GB+ strange, when I add all my files to MPQ size is 2.1GB and WB will not open for me, that is why I am asking for size limit, can it broke my files or something? and also after import all my files change name for File000 and so on

pyf

pyf

Level 31
3GB+ strange, when I add all my files to MPQ size is 2.1GB and WB will not open for me

There are four MPQ format versions.
MPQ Archives - MPQ file format

No idea what the size limit is for each of them.

Elsewhere, it is being said:
"[The MPQ] Archive format must support later changes of the way how the files are stored in the archive. With new games released, the MPQ format is being extended. All the later changes are backward-compatible with older versions."

Level 2
I was editing the an mpq until I ran into a problem which made the model files invisible so I closed the mpq and took a look at another mpq then when I opened the mpq I was working on it was in read only mode. How do I get out of read only mode? Everything is opening in that mode now.

pyf

pyf

Level 31
Please try this:

Go to the Tools / Options menu, and uncheck 'Open MPQs in read-only mode'

...or go to File / 'Open MPQ(s) With Options' (or use the Ctrl+Shift+O shortcut). Then browse and click on the MPQ you want to open. From there, you can uncheck 'Read-only mode'.

Hope it helps.

If that does not work, then what kind of problem did you run into exactly?

Level 2
Please try this:

Go to the Tools / Options menu, and uncheck 'Open MPQs in read-only mode'

...or go to File / 'Open MPQ(s) With Options' (or use the Ctrl+Shift+O shortcut). Then browse and click on the MPQ you want to open. From there, you can uncheck 'Read-only mode'.

Hope it helps.

If that does not work, then what kind of problem did you run into exactly?
No matter what I do every file opens as read only. I hope if I just redownload it it won't keep doing this.
I just ran TFT and the editor to test the mpq out. I must of overwrote something essential because I couldn't initiate a test of the level and the models showed up as invisible in the editor. When I tried TFT everything was black except for the cursor and the version number.
You can refer to my thread to see step by step of what I was doing Merging TTOR resources(units/abilities) with the latest version of Wc3 World Editor

Last edited:
Level 4
Brilliant powerful tool. A must-have for map developers. It even supports other Blizzard games.

I was having difficulty finding out what hiveworkshop's JASS Checker was referring to. So I extracted the war3map.j, which contains all the trigger code, to find the lines containing the leaks.

Be sure to check the source site since it's been updated. It is now currently v3.6.0.826.

Updated to 3.6.0.866 to include the newer StormLib

Changelog
* Version 3.6.0.866
- RebuiltAdded support for alternative MPQ markers

* Version 3.6.0.864
- Rebuilt with StormLib 9.23

* Version 3.6.0.862
- Added support for NP_Protect protector

* Version 3.6.0.838
- Added deprotector tool for MIX files (Warcraft III)

* Version 3.6.0.835
- Fixed live scanner to work with Warcraft III v 1.28.5

* Version 3.6.0.834
- Rebuilt with StormLib v 9.22

* Version 3.6.0.833
- Support for external listfiles in the UNICODE paths
- Fixed bug with tilde (~) in the MPQ file name

* Version 3.6.0.830
- Improved Deep file verification

* Version 3.6.0.828
- Korean build

* Version 3.6.0.826
- Recompiled - fixed patching bug in StormLib

* Version 3.6.0.825
- Fixed crash in "Use Additional Listfile ..."

* Version 3.6.0.824
- Support for any weird non-ASCII file names
- Support for new Korean map protector
- Removed NameBreaker

Level 10
All maps, both Blizzard's and user-made, are only playable when in the w3m or w3x archives, both of which are MPQs.

User data has been moved out of the main game folder way back in 1.28 because what up to 1.27 did is bad practice and requires more permissions to be granted to the game.

As for Blizzard's maps being in the game data, this is correct. What's more important to note is that they are still w3m and w3x archives, which are again just MPQs

Level 4
All maps, both Blizzard's and user-made, are only playable when in the w3m or w3x archives, both of which are MPQs.

(...)

As for Blizzard's maps being in the game data, this is correct. What's more important to note is that they are still w3m and w3x archives, which are again just MPQs
You mean w3m, w3x and MPQ has the same structure only they are named differently?