• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'd like to share a revelation I've had...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
1. Countries are exceedingly pointless.
2. A battle of words saying "I live in the strongest country/I know about the strongest country being the strongest country!" makes about as much sense as an "I have the biggest penis!" argument.
3. Countries are exceedingly pointless.
4. Why is a nation's power gauged by its military force?
5. Countries are exceedingly pointless.

/endrant

The speed of light isn't about to be broken the next few (or many) centuries.

Mars isn't going to be colonized ever, inner and outer conflict will grind space technology to a screeching halt as proven by NASA's being shut down due to war.

Level 27
1. Countries are exceedingly pointless.
2. A battle of words saying "I live in the strongest country/I know about the strongest country being the strongest country!" makes about as much sense as an "I have the biggest penis!" argument.
3. Countries are exceedingly pointless.
4. Why is a nation's power gauged by its military force?
5. Countries are exceedingly pointless.

/endrant

The speed of light isn't about to be broken the next few (or many) centuries.

Mars isn't going to be colonized ever, inner and outer conflict will grind space technology to a screeching halt as proven by NASA's being shut down due to war.

1. Agree, but what are you gonna do about it?
2. Agree again. All countries earlier or later will fall, no matter how powerful they are...
3. Agree, but what are you gonna do about it?
4. Agree, goverments spending money for military are worse than the ones don't since you can spend those money for something better, like educuation or infrastructure development...
5. Deja vu...

doubt about that, mars might be colonized, but only as much as the Arctic/Antarctic today - this means only for research purposes.

Level 27
I hate this time period. It has a complete lack of things to do.
Not at all. There are more things to do than you can shake a stick at. For instance, you can shake a stick at things. More relatedly, we know more about the surface of the moon than we do the deep sea. It you want to, "Go where no man has gone before," then you have only to look so far as the ocean.
It's always been a sad world and it always will be. The sooner you realize/admit that, the better off you are.
You know what, nevermind.
I'd rather be a dumb caveman that doesn't realise what death is.
This can be easily arranged.
was i the only one who thought about agent smith from the matrix when i first read that XD (the first part, of the first post)
I didn't, but I totally should have. xD "The first Matrix was a utopia... It was rejected... We put them at the peak of their civilization."
we have to deal with the fact that mankind is the single greatest threat to life on this planet (including our own). We have atomic bombs, but must never forget the devastation and suffering they may cause.
That we haven't, speaks to our reliability.
I honestly can't see the great pleasure in living past 40, at least not past 60 - being some old guy doing nothing but nagging my children to help me do this and that.
You know you can be old and healthy at the same time? The reason people aren't is because they are sissies. Are you going to let your body waste away or are you going to take care of it?
If they don't feel anything why do they even care to ask those questions. If the Greek philosophers didn't feel anything they wouldn't get any pleasure by asking questions and trying to find answers to things, which basically is why people who have been lobotomized just sit on their assess with an empty look. Unless the robots have programmed specific orders into them when something happens (i.e not a true conscious AI) then they would also not do anything unless they got some kind of feelings.
Bingo. This is the biggest thing people forget about AI. It has no motive whatsoever.
would they be happy to understand that we use them as slaves? No, i doubt it. But of cause, peace can be declared, but would they forgive us? Don't they want their freedom?
Why would they care they are slaves? What's to forgive? Why do they want freedom? To do what?
A computer, as an information storage unit, can then last forever, because it only truly depends on its stored information (especially in the case of an AI program), which can be backed up indefinitely.
Why would an AI make backups of itself/its memories?

Again:
If they don't feel anything why do they even care to ask those questions. If the Greek philosophers didn't feel anything they wouldn't get any pleasure by asking questions and trying to find answers to things, which basically is why people who have been lobotomized just sit on their assess with an empty look. Unless the robots have programmed specific orders into them when something happens (i.e not a true conscious AI) then they would also not do anything unless they got some kind of feelings.
Again.
And again.

Biological organisms have evolved the neurons that tell them to eat, sleep, mate, fight or flight, everything. They don't do stuff for no reason, they do it because they are the ones that had will to make more of themselves. Until we make an AI that makes other AIs that aren't exact copies, until there is some creation and selective process, AIs will be blank of any motivation to do anything, other than what we program into them.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I didn't really intend for my age-statement to be taken literally, I was trying to make a point out how little of a benefit it is that we now live maybe 20 years longer than the Romans. I have no clue really, didn't bother to look it up, the point is that the extra years we've "made for ourselves" (if we can be arrogant enough to call it that) does not necessarily increase the value of our lives.

@HINDY, except the robot does not deem, if anyone would deem any data important it would be the programmer that made the AI.

Level 20
Barring all of the other research and development reasons... What's the use of having an extremely powerful thinking machine without any of the human flaws, right?

The way I see it, there are a couple situations which prevent an AI from being erased:
1 - Its designer certainly wouldn't want it erased and therefore will somehow implement code which will tell it that being erased is bad, and should be prevented.
2 - The AI has been given a goal by its designer, and therefore will try to accomplish this goal, which involves protecting itself from getting wiped.
3 - The AI with no purpose does not exist, because all AIs' purpose, by nature, is to assimilate information and logically reason things out.

In any case, my intention was not to start a debate about why AIs wouldn't allow themselves to be erased. My intention was rather to point out that software can last forever in its exact form, as long as it is backed up, and its hardware is replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.