• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icy cave walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hey fellow modellers!

I noticed that hive doesn't have any ice-cave models, especially cave walls.

See the picture below for reference; an icy stalagmite might also be useful. If possible, with ingame textures (there should be plenty to be usable, especially among the terrain tiles).

ice_cave_by_dellot.jpg

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

If this is not matching ( you could work with it, changing it a bit and you would have a nice icy wall),
maybe check this out: Fantasy Environment Cave
Or both solutions, could match greatly.

You could/ someone could easily re-skin and re-model it to make it fit an icy environment, including stalagmites.
I myself already did once for a dropped project.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hmm, the model from blood-raven looks a bit to comic-style for my uses. I need something that looks more HQ and fits with a realistic terraining style.

The cave pack actually has some excellent models (I like the meshes of the stalagmites); but the walls themselves are a bit lowpoly, imho. If you cut away the ground and opposing side, I guess they could be a good basis to start with, though.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I actually did this already. The attached pack includes a few straight walls, one outer round wall and one inner round wall.

I did not remove the black parts, simulating underground, so tell me please what to do about them.
About the re-skinning, well, I can see whether I am able to, but I cannot promise anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I actually did this already. The attached pack includes a few straight walls, one outer round wall and one inner round wall.

I did not remove the black parts, simulating underground, so tell me please what to do about them.
About the re-skinning, well, I can see whether I am able to, but I cannot promise anything.
Some of them have unused materials and geosets. I actually like the black parts... the problem is that they look too "regular", as in unnatural with the straight cut-out. I still also have a problem with the texture. Seems like there is no real way around importing a custom texture...

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I experimented a bit with Northrend and ice textures, it could look neat if done professional.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Tried a combination of various ingame textures (undergroundNatural3 and elwynn_rock), combined with a doubled mesh with some transparency on top... looks pretty nice for such a small model (8kb) and blends quite well with the northrend tile.

I just need to add a bit more polys to make it more spiky. .... and maybe create another variation or two.

EDIT: Another variation added, such as a rock stump and a spike that can be used in both directions and combined. Have fun with this mini pack to everyone who is reading that. :)

Attachments

• icecave.jpg
    icecave.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Icecave2.jpg
    Icecave2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 645
  • Icecave3.jpg
    Icecave3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 649
  • IceCaveDoodads.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 47