• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I would like permission to edit a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I recently played eclipse RPG, and i think it was the best map i have played in a very long time, and I would like to edit the terrain and add some of my own features like more heros. So if you would be so kind to help me with this I would be very greatful(I will still give you the credit), however letting me to this is fully up to the map creator and I fully understand if you wouldn't want me to do this.:smile:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You should not edit a map if you don't have the original author's permission.
The map is most likely protected, so you can't open it anyway. The Hive does not support de-protection, if you're going to ask (you probably know that if you have read the guidelines, which can be found in the sticky thread).

Level 8
What Rui said. If you just unprotect it, you will be a bad person by violating a rule. Unprotecting is basically stealing without the creator's content.

Ask the creator, which can be found in the Credits tab usually. I think even then, you shouldn't release it to the public unless you get it approved.

Perhaps you can create another terrain map and send it to the creator, in hopes that he will add it?

I seriously doubt someone that has made a map like that would like for anyone to go in there and mess up what they've done.. you may be making it better but you also may be destroying his plot by doing so or something like that.. soo the only possible way you would be able to do this is to ask the creator.. not random people on hive..

Level 35
Unprotecting is basically stealing without the creator's content.

What stealing? Are we talking here about money or something what is supposed to be fun?
First of all, you people must know that Blizzard made program to make map, Blizzard gave public license to anyone who are using this program World Editor is able to open ANY Map created by this editor. So you are using Blizzard's program to make map, and protect map so that same program can't open it. And only blizzard can give you right about that.
But anyway this doesn't mean that he should deprotect map at his will and upload as his own. He must respect and follow rules.
And he must by those rules find author and ask him for permission. This my statement from above is only the fact that protecting is wrong, but it doesn't change anything! So he only must have author's clear permission or he will not be able to upload map

Level 2
I give my permission

Lol, nice.
Also i love how people started a flame war with this,i never asked to deprotect i asked if i had permission to use the maps triggers.
Now i could be an asshole and just go steal it with deprotect however i didnt, so you can't just assume i want credit....

Status
Not open for further replies.