• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] I made walls but units can walk through them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have walls but units can walk through them at the edges. I increased the pathing - collision size but that did not seem to work so I increased it again and that still doesn't seem like it has an effect. I would think that was the right thing to do but idk... What should I change if I want them to be barriers that units cannot walk through?

Level 14
They need to be structures with pathing maps.

There's a thread here explaining the math but units have a maximum collision size Pathing - Collision Size values into real values?

For your use case I would use a doodad pathing map matching whatever angle it is. You'll have to make a unit for every angle just like they did originally in the editor.

upload_2020-4-19_7-14-9.png

Edit: also, they need to be made from unit structures to have the correct object fields with pathing map; unless you have a custom WE simply changing a unit to "is a building" won't add the right fields.

Level 14
Are they buildings, units, or doodads? If they are buildings or doodads you will want to change their pathing. Press P in world editor to see the pathing map on the ground. Blue means unbuildable, pink means unwalkable, teal means unflyable etc. there should be some good pathing tutorials somewhere.

Basically you just have to find the appropriate pathing map for your doodad in the object editor. Select Pathing - Pathing Texture.

Edit: Planetary beat me to it

Level 2
ok well it was a matter of changing the pathing map, but stone wall is not an option in this version.. idk if that screenshot is from an older version of the campaign editor or something, so I used Magical Pen <base>. I also have a vertical wall. Which pathing map should I use for that?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
so I used Magical Pen <base>
This is hollow so units could blink inside.

I suggest turning on the pathing overlay in World Editor and looking at the various pathing maps. You want solid ones that match your wall model geometry. You might have to make and import your own if the standard ones are not sufficient.

Level 2
actually when I turn on the pathing overlay I can see that the pathing map seems to do just what I want. Units can blink past the walls so that is fine.
You might have to make and import your own if the standard ones are not sufficient.
How? What program would I make them in and what would they be if not just mathematical calculations? I did get this pre-made pathing map to work for this but just in case I need to make more in the future, how do I do that?

Level 3
actually when I turn on the pathing overlay I can see that the pathing map seems to do just what I want. Units can blink past the walls so that is fine.

How? What program would I make them in and what would they be if not just mathematical calculations? I did get this pre-made pathing map to work for this but just in case I need to make more in the future, how do I do that?
IIRC the pathing maps are small .tga files (that i believe you still need to import in BLP) that appear invisible upon opening with an app other than GIMP. It's possible to work with PDN on those, albeit tricky. 8x8Simple.tga is one of the pathing textures, with one pixel wide hollow square of unbuildable (blue) on the border, and inside it unpathable (purple)

Status
Not open for further replies.