• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Everytime I try to make a map I get really bored and think that no one will find the map fun. I am not a pro or new mapmaker but I have some good ideas and I can't put them to the map. I really do love making maps but it seems impossible. It might be terrain because that is one of my weak points but I am not sure. Anybody going/gone through this? Any suggestions?

Level 26
It's natural (at least for me) to become less and less enthusiastic about a project the longer you work on it. But then again, my attention span is notoriously short.

The best thing I can suggest is to start from small projects and move on to larger ones.
And, if all else fails, make a map that you find fun and don't worry about whether or not others will like it.

Level 12
I got the same problem. Theres like, 8 unfinished projects on my PC. I finished one so far, but i got so bored at about 50% that everything i did afterwards was pure crap and it ruined the map.

Anyway, the best thing i can suggest is that you lay off the map when you get bored, then try again in a week.

Level 11
I have only one unfinished project that I am not working on. However, I am working on a Risk map, and progress is fast. I started yesterday, and it is already slightly playable. My advice: Think the whole thing through before you begin. I had almost every part of the project done in my head BEFORE I started hammering on the mouse and keyboard. And so I have done almost every time I have finnished a map.

Ok here my tips:

1.) Map while you are bored.
2.) NEVER map without hearing music.
3.) Communicate with people while mapmaking (ICQ,MSN,IRC,ETC).
4.) Save map once each 15 minutes (BACKUP).
5.) First do terrain, then triggering AND OBJECTING.
6.) Do not keep too long mapping without testing. (Testing will make you want to map more).
7.) Don't import too much into your map. (You'll get pissed off).
8.) Don't forget online tests.
9.) Don't try to find a solution of a problem without a pause.
10.) With doing pause drink/eat something and forget wc3, then go back to your mapping work.

Thats all! GL!

Level 15
Losing interest in something you love is natural. It's human nature to lose interest in things we love over time. Otherwise, Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots would still be in style.

Trends come and go, the same could be said about mapping. That's why I think we all get this feeling. Just do what I do, make 2 maps and work extremely hard on each of them. When you get bored of one, go to the other.

Level 9
I don't think I ever finished a single map ever. (well, i finished a few small some that kina sucked.) I also suffer from "heck. don't give a damn anymore" quite often.

Actually, I don't even remember all project I have "hanging around" ATM. time to check.
*checking*
OOO totally forgot about this one...cute...but too big for me...

So here is my advice (its the only way I get things even mostly done): split your project into multiple stand-alone projects, each one does not NEED the others to be perfectly playable.
Once all "parts" are complete you jest need to combine all into a single map, and then add anything new that might be needed from the combination (for example, if you spilt your risk map to a few territorial-based sub-project you might need to make transportation of correction to the terrain to make everything fit in. but in general they are all done.)

This also allows for the "well. that's a mistake, lets take that part out" to be done with ease.

Level 21
I probably have gigabytes of unfinished maps...

And the only maps I really "finished" are melee maps...
For that reason I decided to dedicate myself to making systems and help other people with triggers and such, because I know it increases their success, while my chance of success is probably zero :/

Level 36
MSBB has good advice. I suffer from the same problem. A map will seem exciting at first, but you will gradually lose interest until nothing at all about it seems desirable and you will just stop altogether. This is why you need to start small. Small things are easy to accomplish, and you just work your way up to larger projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.