• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] "Hwacha" Ability - Burst Attack Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Alright, I apologize if this already exists but I have looked all over and have found nothing.

I'm trying to recreate the "Hwacha" as a unit (watch Mythbusters). I can't seem to figure out how to make either of these to do it:

1. an ability that fires off a barrage of missiles (arrows, rockets, mortars... doesn't matter) and strike pseudo randomly in an area with a fairly long cool down.

or

2. Get the unit to attack in a "burst" attack before the cooldown gets set to be really long to prepare for the next burst...

make sense? any help would be awesome! Thanks.

You don't need any complex systems to do that.

The easiest way is to just take the tinker's cluster rockets ability and replace the missile model with an arrow. This will, however, deal damage to the entire area of effect.

If you want to make the ability so that you can dodge individual arrows, you can just use invisible dummy artillery units to fire the arrows
  1. Make a dummy unit from mortar team
  2. Change the missile model to an arrow, make the AoE much smaller, change damage and damage type, set "animation damage point" to 0.00
  3. Set dummy unit movement type to flying, hide minimap display and remove the model and shadow of the unit
  4. Create a dummy AoE ability for the hwatcha unit
  5. Create a trigger that, when the ability is cast, creates x amount of the dummy units at caster's location and issues them an attack ground order to random points near the target area. (Use point with polar offset for this)
  6. Give a 0.1 second expiration timer to the spawned dummy units

Level 2
Tried to do this... :(

Alright I tried what you said, kitabatake, but it didn't work for similar reasons to what I just posted in the forums as a problem with polar offset that I am having.

The Mortar Team Dummies would spawn (I acutally used a for integer A and spawned them 1 at a time and let them shoot to get the to stagger the wave of missiles) and the first one would shoot at the target but the rest would turn and shoot at the center of the map, if shoot at all. Sometimes they just didn't do it... :(

Ap0calypse, I took a look at the ability/spell pack. It looks awesome, but super complicated... :( I am still noob and still learning so stuff that complex is for the future when I am better at this stuff.

Thanks to you both for the help though.

Alright I tried what you said, kitabatake, but it didn't work for similar reasons to what I just posted in the forums as a problem with polar offset that I am having.

The Mortar Team Dummies would spawn (I acutally used a for integer A and spawned them 1 at a time and let them shoot to get the to stagger the wave of missiles) and the first one would shoot at the target but the rest would turn and shoot at the center of the map, if shoot at all. Sometimes they just didn't do it... :(

If they shoot at the map center it means the point variable gets broken.
Are you even using variables for the points?

A very simple way to do the trigger is this:
  • Hwatcha ability Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Hwatcha ability
    • Actions
      • Set Player = (Owner of (Casting unit))
      • Set Point = (Position of (Casting unit))
      • Set Point2 = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Point3 = (Point offset by (Random real number between 10.00 and 300.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)
          • Unit - Create 1 Mortar Team(dummy) for Player at Point facing Point3
          • Unit - Add a 0.10 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack Ground Point3
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point3)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point2)

Level 2
Needs more work...

Alright so I kinda have gotten the trigger to finally work thanks to kitabetake.

Now I need help with the unit's ability. I was hoping to use this ability to replace the attack of the unit. So I will need an auto cast... I have been using the black arrow ability and it works if I manually cast it but it does not "autocast" as I want it to.

Any suggestions on how to fix this... also is there an event trigger of when a unit attacks?

Alright so I kinda have gotten the trigger to finally work thanks to kitabetake.

Now I need help with the unit's ability. I was hoping to use this ability to replace the attack of the unit. So I will need an auto cast... I have been using the black arrow ability and it works if I manually cast it but it does not "autocast" as I want it to.

Any suggestions on how to fix this... also is there an event trigger of when a unit attacks?

Generic unit event: "Unit is attacked"

Condition: "Unit type of attacking unit equal to hwatcha"

Status
Not open for further replies.