• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Basic shooter trigger, need help starting on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I need to know a few things for my map:
1: how do I mak a barrage? I mean a burst of bullets that fly randomly.
2: Can I use a self destruct trigger to deal the damage to anything that hits it? Or is there a fancier way?
3: A burst effect when the caster fires, if possible I'd like to make a rocket launch smoke effect for a rocket attack, and a burst effect for a machine gun burst. Not really necessary, but it gives it more looks.
4: Explodes after certain distance, is a timer a good way or is there a more precise way to do it?
5: Weapon swapping. Neccesary cuase I'll be adding loads of weapons.

Many thanks.
:grin: :grin: :grin:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. If by barrage you mean like the barrage ability used by the siege engine then you just use the ability used by siege engines and change it to fit your requirements.

Otherwise if you mean firing projectiles in many directions with a correlation towards the target that are destroyed upon collision with the first target and deal damage to that target then you will need to trigger it. Make each missile a separate object. All missiles get moved forward every 1/60th of a second. If a missile is near a unit that passes the valid target test then you destroy the missile object and damage the target.

If the bullets are allowed to pierce than you can use a few dummy units to cast a dummy shockwave skill in a variety of directions.

2. A self destruct trigger? Please explain as I have never heard of this type of trigger before.

3. This is art related. Give the firing unit an attachment point at the nozzle of its weapon. Every time a shot is fired you then create a smoke emitter (rocket) or flash (gun). Remember to remove any special effects to prevent leaks as even if they become invisible they will still exist until removed.

4. Generally best to avoid timers due to the overhead with that many objects and interrupts. Just decrement a counter every time they are moved and if the counter reaches 0 you then remove the object.

5. The idea is changing the coupling of the system from one weapon handler to another. You might also want to swap attachments or models for better visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.