• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Huge Bug in the World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello guys there is a mysterious bug in my friends World Editor he can't post it himself here because he is lazy as hell. We are making a map full of Custom Sound, Sound Effects, WOW Icons, Units and etc. And we were saving the map but there was an error saying can't save map to Worldedit.w3m which was quite wierd and we saved it again hoping that the error won't show up again but when we tested the map our Icons,Custom Sound Sets, Custom sound Effects, Models, EVERYTHING is all messed up the models are not showing up the icons too and especially our Custom unit and effect Sound sets are not working and others went to its default sound set WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED HERE? we worked so hard on this map:cry::cry::cry:

Level 8
My bet is that your map got corrupted. Imported assets are the principal culprint and sounds are the most common to corrupt maps.
From what i know, there is no fix here. Maybe you could extract the MPQ files (ie. unit data, abilities data, upgrades data) and reimport them on a brand new map. If this is possible you should try to recall which files were the last ones you imported on your map so you are not at risk again.
In the end, the lesson here is to always have some kind of backup file, not only for eventual map corruption but for lots of reasons in fact.
If you are using Reforged or otherwise JassHelper, maybe you can find an usable backup in User>Docs>Warcraft III>JassHelper>backups.

Level 9
My bet is that your map got corrupted. Imported assets are the principal culprint and sounds are the most common to corrupt maps.
From what i know, there is no fix here. Maybe you could extract the MPQ files (ie. unit data, abilities data, upgrades data) and reimport them on a brand new map. If this is possible you should try to recall which files were the last ones you imported on your map so you are not at risk again.
In the end, the lesson here is to always have some kind of backup file, not only for eventual map corruption but for lots of reasons in fact.
If you are using Reforged or otherwise JassHelper, maybe you can find an usable backup in User>Docs>Warcraft III>JassHelper>backups.
Is thier like a program to know if a file is corrupted? What we last imported in our map was either an icon or a sound and after that the map was messed up.

Level 20
I've never had this problem my entire 'career' with the editor, but one thing I would point out that you should not move/alter any file you just imported into the map until AFTER you save the map.

Level 9
I've never had this problem my entire 'career' with the editor, but one thing I would point out that you should not move/alter any file you just imported into the map until AFTER you save the map.
I know i meant i did not expect this to happen but my guess is that the Icons are the culprit here i don't think the sounds are the problem the sounds are downloaded on youtube "Heroes of the Storm Sounds and abilities" and cutted the mp3 sound by using an mp3 editor and some are converted to WAV in a Safe Website the icons were comprissed by a zip file and all of the icons are in .tga and .png and were 60×60 in size luckily i have a button manager which can fit the image size to 64×64 and then saved them as blp so my guess is the icons guys so is my guess right or am i just talking nonesense?

I've had the same problem, but it has been fairly random for me and not appeared in a while now.

So the map has a few models, sounds etc. and they are ok and even when a change is only a few triggers or object-data (I.E. NOTHING related to imports), I've had this issue.

I have my map on Dropbox and has reverted to the last save each time the import data got lost by the "unable to save" or whatever the error says.

Level 9
I've had the same problem, but it has been fairly random for me and not appeared in a while now.

So the map has a few models, sounds etc. and they are ok and even when a change is only a few triggers or object-data (I.E. NOTHING related to imports), I've had this issue.

I have my map on Dropbox and has reverted to the last save each time the import data got lost by the "unable to save" or whatever the error says.
Dropbox? Is that a just in case my map goes to crap folder? Or a program?

Dropbox? Is that a just in case my map goes to crap folder? Or a program?
Dropbox is a program that sync:s a specific folder on your computer to a server somewhere. You can choose where to put that folder and put any subfolders etc. in it.
If you have it installed on multiple computers, all the content of the dropbox-folder will be kept in sync between computers.
If a specific file gets deleted/corrupt/etc. you can revert recent changes to a previous saved version.

Level 9
Dropbox is a program that sync:s a specific folder on your computer to a server somewhere. You can choose where to put that folder and put any subfolders etc. in it.
If you have it installed on multiple computers, all the content of the dropbox-folder will be kept in sync between computers.
If a specific file gets deleted/corrupt/etc. you can revert recent changes to a previous saved version.
Where can i download this dropbox program?

I'm unsure about the cause of this issue.
All I know is that I randomly get an "unable to save", and half of the time the map has lost all the imported assets (check file-size and see that it lost a few MB). There is a change in the file saved map-file.
This makes me believe that there was an issue during the save-process resulting in no (or almost no) imports being saved to the map, but most other things are saved.

If it was a problem with a corrupt file in imports, then all imports should still be there and the saved map should have the same file-size, I believe.

But hey, I don't know the details on how World Editor actually saves stuff, so I'm unsure.
If the file-size is smaller than before, then you cannot open it up and delete something to make it all return, that's for sure.

Level 9
I'm unsure about the cause of this issue.
All I know is that I randomly get an "unable to save", and half of the time the map has lost all the imported assets (check file-size and see that it lost a few MB). There is a change in the file saved map-file.
This makes me believe that there was an issue during the save-process resulting in no (or almost no) imports being saved to the map, but most other things are saved.

If it was a problem with a corrupt file in imports, then all imports should still be there and the saved map should have the same file-size, I believe.

But hey, I don't know the details on how World Editor actually saves stuff, so I'm unsure.
If the file-size is smaller than before, then you cannot open it up and delete something to make it all return, that's for sure.
So does this mean i have to remake my map?

Level 9
Wait... You can still open map in WorldEditor and run the map, right?

So what happened for me was that ALL imported assets got wiped, but everything else was still there.
This means that I either had to reimport everything or take a previous version and copy-paste or remake whatever has since last save.
Number 1: Yes i can still open my map and as you said the files are still there but all of thier assets are now wiped out
Number 2: Sadly i don't have a previous version of my map all of them was all saved in one map and got wiped out all
Number 3: Reimporting everything is kind of a pain in the ass there are literaly more than 200 files i need to reimport and set up thier custom paths
Number 4: Does it really work? Remaking whatever was before my map got corrupted?

Unfortunately, I'm only almost sure that it'd work to reimport everything, not completely sure, because as you say, it's a pain in the ass to do.
It was way easier to just take an older version an move the recent changes so I did that and worked fine (with all the same imports and mostly the same Object Data and Triggers, might be slight changes because I remade the recent changes "by hand").

Level 9
Unfortunately, I'm only almost sure that it'd work to reimport everything, not completely sure, because as you say, it's a pain in the ass to do.
It was way easier to just take an older version an move the recent changes so I did that and worked fine (with all the same imports and mostly the same Object Data and Triggers, might be slight changes because I remade the recent changes "by hand").
That means a 1hour work of frustration *Sigh* by the way what do you think i should do with the corrupted icons?

Yeah, it kinda sucks...

But I'd say test it again with a (few?) backup(s) this time.
It might have been something temporary messed it up (meaning they will work if you try again), or might actually be corrupted (mess with the map again).

I have a version number a bump up every time I feel like I've made noticeable progress, meaning that I get go back and see what have happened last few weeks/months/years.

Level 10
If you're on v1.31 you could also save the map as a folder, then just toss all of your files into there. When you open the map folder again it'll automatically import it all with filepaths intact (mostly. For some reason it uses the wrong slash so you'd need to use a hex editor or something for fix that, but that's easy enough.)

Anyways, for any broken icons you could use the Button Manager program, dragging and dropping the icon into it and re-saving should work I think.

Level 9
If you're on v1.31 you could also save the map as a folder, then just toss all of your files into there. When you open the map folder again it'll automatically import it all with filepaths intact (mostly. For some reason it uses the wrong slash so you'd need to use a hex editor or something for fix that, but that's easy enough.)

Anyways, for any broken icons you could use the Button Manager program, dragging and dropping the icon into it and re-saving should work I think.
Trust me the icons were made from my button manager and still it is corrupted

Normally, all the size of all the imports changes to 0 (at least this happens in the type of corruption I have seen). You can check in the import manager the size of each import.
Yeah all the files turned to 0kb which was quite unexpected yet don't exactly know which imported file actually caused it.

Level 23
Yeah all the files turned to 0kb which was quite unexpected yet don't exactly know which imported file actually caused it.
I have seen this issue occur in the 1.29-1.31 versions. Possibly it happened in 1.28, not sure. Before that, I am pretty sure this kind of corruption did not happen.

When you refer to an imported file causing it, I think that is another kind of issue. That kind of problem will cause the map to crash when opening in the WE, but it wont cause everything to change to 0.

Level 9
I have seen this issue occur in the 1.29-1.31 versions. Possibly it happened in 1.28, not sure. Before that, I am pretty sure this kind of corruption did not happen.

When you refer to an imported file causing it, I think that is another kind of issue. That kind of problem will cause the map to crash when opening in the WE, but it wont cause everything to change to 0.
What? So what exactly is the problem of my map if not about Import Corruption?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Just save as a different file each time. Don't save the same map file over and over. This is just a usual safety measure.
But if you could save the map as a folder as Whitewolf8 suggested, you could just overwrite those 0kb files with the actual ones and then open the map again.

Level 9
Just save as a different file each time. Don't save the same map file over and over. This is just a usual safety measure.
But if you could save the map as a folder as Whitewolf8 suggested, you could just overwrite those 0kb files with the actual ones and then open the map again.
Yeah that means reimporting everything just like Thompzon suggested me to.

The issue for me was random. It occurred as soon as I saved the map one random time.
So that means i have to save my map as a file just in case it goes to crap right?

Level 9
So what's the big deal? You just replace files if you can save the map as a folder that is. Don't the 0kb files appear as imported files in that folder afterwards?
Yes they still appears and replacing them would be a little easier than reimporting them again the only files that i really have to REIMPORT here are the Sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.