• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How will future model designs live up to Reforged graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I am curious to find out if map developers can expect new models that live up to the advanced graphics in Reforged.

So far I've seen few extra ordinary results from before Reforged, that might actually live up to it, however, most are naturally fit to the old Warcraft and in some cases even a bit fair too.

Level 8
If you're capable of making models as HD as Reforged, you might as well charge for it. I don't think it's worth the time to make such high quality models.

Ye my thoughts as well. If a person have the skills to create such models, he might be using his time in a firm doing it for money and not just for a hobby. I sure hope the model community will stay alive, they have until now nontheless.

Reactions: pyf
Hmn they are done in a very different way to how traditional graphics back in the OG Wc3 era were made.

Modelers will need to learn to do sculping with zBrush, Mudbox, Blender or whatever they like. It sounds taunting but sculping is a lot easier than traditional box modeling. Box modeling will still be used for a new process called Retopology (produce a low level poly mesh from a high level poly model, it takes a few minutes with modern tools). Texturing can be done in those tools or using a PBR Texturing tool like Substance Painter.

Skinning(matching a mesh to an skeleton) is easier now as you can match vertices to multiple bones without balancing their weights.

Animation is pretty much the same but for best results use IK, Bipeds or CAD and bake them. OR use other in-game models' animations.

The rest (Effects, etc) is the same as before.

Some tools will be needed as a modern Magos' editor that supports the new format and the ability to import FBX or OBJ formats into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.