• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to run maps with high gamespeed

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
This was a neat trick i found out today. I've always been annoyed that blizzard gave the AI editor a "Speed" parameter, but didn't add it to the regular editor. Usually you can only test "Melee" maps with high speed, but now i found a way to do it with triggered maps too.

1. Open the map you want to test with high speed.
  2. Note down the following:
    • Which slot you want to control when testing.
    • Which slot you have a computer in.
  3. Open the AI Editor.
  4. Find a map with 12 players slots.
  5. Set the slot you want to control to user
  6. Set the computer slot you noted, to a computer, and leave the AI.
  7. Hit test AI.
  8. Close the map right away, no need to watch it.
  9. Open your warcraft III directory.
  10. Open the folder "TestGame"
  11. Open the file "WorldEditTestGame.wgc" with Notepad.
  12. Change the file name of the map you chose earlier to the one you want to test.
  13. Once you've done that, create a shortcut to war3.exe, and put "-loadfile TestGame\WorldEditTestGame.wgc" without the quotes, as parameter.
  14. Run the shortcut, and the game should load the custom map, but with the speed setting you specified in the AI Editor.
  15. Enjoy.

I've done very few tests on this, so configuring it is limited. Only way i can see to change speed, is to change it in the AI editor, doesn't seem like it's linked to the wgc file. If you do some tests of your own, please write the results, and i'll update the guide.

WIP Tutorial, i know it's a little vague, i'll see to add some pictures some time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
The idea behind the highspeed testing is for AI balancing/testing, usually it's hard to make an AI start at a certain point, and just act from there, without having to do extensive triggering. I've used highspeed to test an AoS, where the forces actually had various abilities, and they were perfectly balanced. That's alot of work if you have to balance normally. The difference was big, i usually had to test for atleast 20-30 minutes after each change, that was cut down to 4-6 minutes. Same with Hero AI's, i made a couple of heroes that battled eachother as a test, and the way of testing highspeed was just awesome.

Level 3
This doesn't work on triggered maps and even though I'll tried it in vanilla world editor. And also this doesn't work in JNGP