• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to prevent protected map file being opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I have optimized/protected a map so it couldn't be opened by everyone, but some player today on wc3 claimed he could still open it o_O

Is there a way to prevent this? Like further protecting the map file so it would be impossible to open?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
nope. you can corrupt certain files to be unreadable in the WE but aslong as the game can read the info the user can unprotect it

however very few can actually un-protect it properly. I can un-protect some maps but then some info is removed since I replace the corrupted files. Normally I cant see the triggers in the map but I can see object data and units.

Level 30
I fear that every protection can still be
cracked down
or
open
by people out there with a great skill.

So, as far as I know, even what map protecting program you will try, there will be still people who can open it.

Note: I have putted some spoiler tags on some words because we might go into some illegal discussions here which is not allowed by the site so look at the spoiler with your own risk.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

nope. you can corrupt certain files to be unreadable in the WE but aslong as the game can read the info the user can unprotect it

however very few can actually un-protect it properly. I can un-protect some maps but then some info is removed since I replace the corrupted files. Normally I cant see the triggers in the map but I can see object data and units.

I said to him the code is unreadable, he answered: "no if you know what you're doing". So I guess he knew o_O such talent...

Anyway thank you for answering :)

Level 23
we are allowing JNGP which uses viruses to hack WC3 so it's certainly allowed.

offtopic we are

it does not user virus, it uses dll injection or however it is called, which is often used by viruses to inject their shit to some other programs, and thats why its caught by antivirus, it basically injects itself into the process worldedit121.exe

Level 25
Note: I have putted some spoiler tags on some words because we might go into some illegal discussions here which is not allowed by the site so look at the spoiler with your own risk.
Afaik you can discuss it however you want, as long you don't actually explain how to crack it down.

But words by themselves are not taboo, so I don't think anyone will cut your head off if you don't put those words in spoiler tags.

Level 15
Opening the map isn't really that spectacular, as I understand it once you've optimized/protected it, it would take a lot of work to actually restore this opened map to the quality of one of your unprotected versions in terms of making the jass script readable.

But since when you release a map you have it documented on the forums, there's really nothing to gain for a super skilled third party to steal it and try to claim it as their own, though nothing prevents unfortunate fake distributions. And if someone is that skilled anyway, they are probably doing other things with their talents (e.g. making money at an actual job).

But I think it's relatively easy to extract the jass script from any protected map, and this even with the obsfucation tools available, it's not that hard to read JASS if you know what you're looking for (e.g. how to get a secret item, or how the save/load system works).

In short there's little you can do to hide the script of your map if someone is dedicated enough (reading through the JASS script can be done by anyone with a knowledge of programming language and/or JASS, and it's more a test of endurance than actual skill because the function and variable names are very tedious to recognize, e.g. "iijii").

Level 22
Optimized map scripts are hard to work with anyway, it doesn't matter if the guy can open it or not, he can grab the models and other resources, but it'll be a pain in the ass for him to work with the script and the map terrain.

A better solution would be to prompt an in-game message to the players "Official maps can only be downloaded on x.x.com". On the issue of map theft though, I can not offer any solution.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't yet need that kind of message to my map, but thanks for the idea :) Might do so in the future...

Level 19
Just throw a spazzle on it (obfuscating the header bytecode) and most normal people wont be able to open it. There's truly no way to fully protect a map, trust me, no matter how hard you will try you will always fail.

What I like to do sometimes is hack my own maps when other people request them and add an illegal flag in the code so on new versions their load gets fucked up

Level 19
Sorry, but... what does that mean? :/

Learn for yourself, its the joy of programming. If I told you how to do it, every noob would reference themselves here, the process would become commonplay and everyone would know how to undo it (once you learn the process, its quite easy to figure out how to undo it)

Here are some hints:
https://www.google.com/search?q=obf...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_(computing)
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

If you're too lazy, just stick with vexorian's + messing up import names + removing the listfile

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there a way to prevent this? Like further protecting the map file so it would be impossible to open?
There are 3 ways...
1. Keep it on secure backing storage that only you have access to. No one can open it if they cannot get the map.
2. Delete the map. No one can open it if there is no map to open.
3. Rename a nonsense file as the map. No one can open it if it is not a map.

Obviously these are rather impractical as the entire point of a map is for Warcraft III to open it.

It sounds like you are being over paranoid about people manipulating your map. The fact is that as long as WC3 can open it to play it, people can open it. They open it by extracting what WC3 uses and modifying those files directly. The JASS script is most vulnerable to this since it is basically a big text file and is usually the only file modified when cheats or other silly things are added.

In the end your map is just a Warcraft III map. Do not make it easy for kids to mess with (WC3 optimizer so it cannot be opened in WE) but there is really no need to take measures beyond that as the sort of people who will modify the map after you optimized it are likely to be unstopped by any method you try. Sure it can be annoying to see people doing dumb stuff to your map, but in the end it is only a WC3 map and you can pride yourself with distributing and promoting the official version.

Level 15
Just want to say, I used a tool so I can open the Map with MPQ and take the resource (models, effect, etc). Tried to open it on WE and the triggers is empty

Level 19
Just want to say, I used a tool so I can open the Map with MPQ and take the resource (models, effect, etc). Tried to open it on WE and the triggers is empty

triggers get compiled into the war3map.j which isnt read by the world editor

Status
Not open for further replies.