• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to play War 3 online without Bnet

Is this guide helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
Level 7
How to play war 3 online without Bnet!
Finally if your Bnet does not work there is a solution
by Lag_Reviews

Difficulty:
[5/10] Easy

Hey all,
I'm Lag_reviews maybe you know me, maybe not.
Anyways, I am going to teach you how to play Warcraft 3 online without Bnet!.

Here it is, How to play war 3 online without Bnet!

Okay, Firstly you have to: Fully install Warcraft 3 reign of chaos and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne (Frozen Throne is required as you won't see many people playing Reign of Chaos)

Secondly you have to have to latest Warcraft patch so you can play other peoples games, the patch can be found and downloaded here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21224

Now that you have the game installed I will tell you the steps of how to play Warcraft online without Bnet!

Okay, Firstly: here you have to install a free program called Game Ranger which allows you to play a series of games online but you must own the games to play them.

You can download and install Game Ranger here: http://www.gameranger.com/

Secondly: once you have installed it and used its step by step install/register guide you are a few steps from playing Warcraft online without Bnet!

Thirdly: Once you have Game Ranger open, scroll down through the list of games until you see Warcraft 3 frozen throne. Double click any of the listed ones to join it, one with locks will need a password and some are friends only and if they have a green dot the game is in play and can not be joined. If you join it may prompt you that it can not locate Warcraft on your computer so tell it where you installed the exe of Warcraft then re-join a map.

Fourthly: If you get a router error just hit continue or portforward if you can not play a game.

Fifth: Once you are in the lobby of the game (make sure the description has your version of Warcraft in it or you may not be able to play it.) You have to wait for the host to click start and a dialog will pop up that says waiting for host (This means the host is choosing the map) then it should say joining players and your Warcraft will automatically start, it will auto click on LAN then the hosts map will be listed there and it will click on it and click join.

Sixth: Once you are in the game lobby, then you are right play the map and all you have to do is sit back and wait for the host to hit start :p

Troubleshooting if you can not see the hosts map in the LAN section:

1. If the game does not appear in LAN than you may not have the same version of Warcraft as the Host.

2. You may need to portforward to join if you can not see the hosts game in the LAN part of Warcraft, Game Ranger's website has a guide on Portforwarding.

3. If all that fails then Game Ranger has got an error and you may need to exit the game and re-join the hosts game.

4. If that fails then Try contacting Game Ranger for more help (You do not need a legit cd key to play Warcraft on Game Ranger)

Hope this helped you understand how to play Warcraft online without Bnet using Game Ranger,
- Lag Reviews

PS: Any problems, questions or queries feel free to contact me.

Level 7
Question: Why?

Well Game Ranger is there incase your CD key won't let you play on Battle Net or you have issues with Battle Net like I do. Plus Game Ranger has a list of other games you can play online.

Also Game Ranger is good if you want to just play a normal Warcraft 3 map with your friends as you can make it friends only or password protect the map and you do not get all the people who quit the game halfway through a map with Game Ranger like you do with Battle Net.

So, I thought it was worth mentioning about it for the people who can't or dislike Battle Net.

Hope this helped you understand why,
Lag_Reviews

PS: This program is not as good as GG but it lets you host any map and not just dota type maps.

Level 7
Isnt this Illegal?

Shouldn't be or that would make Garena Illegal too. Game ranger is just a simple program that allows you to play some games without a cd key. For example Warcraft and it lets anyone host anything they want withing Warcraft.

So, as Game Ranger has been around for a few years I decide to make it more popular by advertising it on here.

Because I know how peeved off people can be when they by a game and find out their Cd key doesn't let them on Battle Net (Like I was until I found this)

Plus some people just plain don't like battle net because they can't host or just plain don't like it.

Whereas with GameRanger you can:
  • Anyone can Host
  • Anyone can join (unless the game is set to friends/password protected or the game is in progress)
  • There community on Game Ranger is better (As there are hardly any people who leave half way through a map)
  • Plus it is free
  • You do not need a cd key

Hope this helped you understand Game Ranger,
Lag_Reviews

PS: It is not illegal because it has been around for years and Blizzard hasn't sued them yet..

Level 20
Useful, though you may as well put a whole list of these programs, e.g. gamespy, garena, game ranger, x-something? all do the same thing - you could make a list of them so people have some choice?

EDIT: I don't think this is 'illegal' in practice, but it could easily be used illegally, e.g. it allows someone to install wc3 on several computers (and play online) as you don't need the disc to play the game... so Blizzard will probably come down hard on anyone doing this.

Actually that's probably what all this 'no lan' log into BNet crap is all about on sc2, to prevent third-party key bypassing programs like this.

Personally, I think it's a great tutorial and useful for some but there will always be a couple who abuse this..

Level 10
Useful, though you may as well put a whole list of these programs, e.g. gamespy, garena, game ranger, x-something? all do the same thing - you could make a list of them so people have some choice?

EDIT: I don't think this is 'illegal' in practice, but it could easily be used illegally, e.g. it allows someone to install wc3 on several computers (and play online) as you don't need the disc to play the game... so Blizzard will probably come down hard on anyone doing this.

Actually that's probably what all this 'no lan' log into BNet crap is all about on sc2, to prevent third-party key bypassing programs like this.

Personally, I think it's a great tutorial and useful for some but there will always be a couple who abuse this..

Yes, people will be able to abuse it, and why are you so anti-lan?

Level 28
It's a good tutorial, I also use GameRanger because I somehow lost my hosting-powers (I could host with the same internet connection before, but I suddenly can't).

The difficulty may be a bit lowered though :p (or completely removed, which is the best option I guess).
It's basically installing a program, have friends do the same and the rest automatically tells itself.

Very good for those who also have problems hosting maps or are fed up with the DotA-thing going around (though people on GR also host DotA).

Level 1
what about sonic wall. I have game ranger form when i was at my mothers and now im at school and sonic wall blocks both the origanal way and game ranger.

Level 3
Hey,I've been wanting to play this map Azeroth AWR online on Gameranger for quite some time.It's an awesome map and if anyone wants to play it with me,Let's do this.