• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make only a part of a model 2-sided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have absolutely no experience with modelling, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it in the tutorials.

For this model, I need to make the material on the tail two-sided. However, I do not want to make the rest of the model 2-sided because it'll look weird with the transparency.

How can I make only the tail two-sided? I guess I have to make the tail another geoset from the rest of the model but I have no idea how to do that..

Thank you.

Level 48
Actually, it's really simple. Open Notepad, open the MDL of your model, copy the whole thing that starts at "Geoset {" and ends with a "}" in the most left part(the whole geoset), then make a new line(Enter key) after the "}" of the geoset and paste the whole thing again. Save as a new file, and test it in Vertex Modify. There should be two geosets. Now just remove everything that is NOT a tail from one geoset, and visa versa from the other geoset. To attach a material to a geoset in Magos, open the model, create a new material with the desired options and go to the geosets panel. CTRL+Click the desired geoset in the 3D model viewer(the main window of Magos). The geoset will be highlighted in black, and the geoset in geoset manager will be highlighted in blue. Double click the highlighted(blue) geoset, and set it's material to your newly created one.

It's actually not as hard as I may have made it sound. It's really simple, takes two minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.