• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Flipping a model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have tried and tried to flip a blizzard model (Blood Elf Spell Thief), to make him left handed instead of right.

I have tried rotates and flips but I cannot get it to work.

Does anyone know how I could go about doing this?

I have tried to use "Geoset Translation" by Oink.

Everytime, I end up with textures and his shield facing the wrong way, making the textures two-sided fixes the textures but the shield is still the wrong way. That and two-sided textures probably take up more memory.

I need to somehow flip all the textures, and also the whole shield "geoset(s)".

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• SpellThief.JPG
    SpellThief.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 131
  • SpellThief2.JPG
    SpellThief2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 168
It's very hard to do it, you would need to know some quaternion algebra in order to do that for rotations, in the case of translations just multiply the y axi by -1. If you have 3dsmax you could do it by mirroring the model.

I'll tell you the MDL editing method, though.

1rst Pass the animations from Left bones to Right bones and Vice versa.

2nd for Translations. Multiply the y axi by -1, so a normal translation like: {1.5,2.0,6.0} turns into: {1.5,-2.0,6.0}

3rd for Rotations. (haven't really rested it, do it to one limb and see if it works). In theory, multiply the quaternion's y and z values by -1.
Example: { 0.158062, 0.357604, 0.046354, 0.919232 } -> { 0.158062, -0.357604, -0.046354, 0.919232 }

[Notice that mirroring of rotations and translations must be done to every key in the model(quite impossible for a human, unless he be willing to waste 2 hours)

This should be the way it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.