• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make attacks into projectiles which goes in a straight line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello hive!
I'm going to make an AoS map (It's not going to be like DotA or LoL or w/e) that is going to be as fair and skillbased as possibly, without making it booring.

This is some ideas I've come up with so far:
  • Every attack is avoidable by moving.
  • Items provide minor bonuses, reducing the snowballing factor.
  • Vision range on heroes should be about 1400 to make it more interesting.
  • Two or three "lanes" with a complex forest between.
  • No spells. Instead you can choose between +5dmg / +50hp / +5movement / 1hpregen when you level up.

The thing is that I don't know how to make the most important thing in this game, avoidable attacks.

I need help making it so the attacks of heroes is instead a sort of bullet that can be avoided. I need it to travel fairly fast and it should damage the first target it collides with.
If anyone could help me with this it would be just amazing!

Level 5
I guess you could use an auto-cast spell bound to attack (like Searing Arrows maybe) and make it a dummy ability, so it has no effect of it's own. Then each time it is cast (which will be each time the unit attacks) a dummy unit (with the model of a projectile) is created at the caster and will move outward from the caster in the direction the caster is facing. Then if the new unit comes really close to another unit, it will explode (either through triggers, or through the use of the "Goblin Land Mines"-spell) so that the target unit is damaged and the dummy unit (the "bullet") disappears. This way it will look like regular attacks, while being dodgeble.

Don't know if this will work perfectly, but if you can't think of anything else it might be worth a try.

Level 20
Vision Range, Item Stuff, Lanes and Woods are things you can easily do in object and terrain editor.

Having no spells but only those bonuses, is really easy. Add abilities that increase those values that way. Remember adding one for mana, and remember that you're allowed to have only 5 hero learnable skills.

About the missile thing... well, it would require a lot of triggered movement, since those "missiles" aren't missiles, but units with missile models. Every 0.05 seg you check if there's an enemy in front of the Unit/Missile, if so, you destroy the Unit/Missile, and damage the target.

What happens with Xarxos suggestion is that you will have the natural unit missile, and the Unit/Missile. For that, just remove the Missile Art of the unit. It will do the attack animation, but won't show any missile, rather than shoot your Unit/Missile.

To create parabola effects on Unit/Missiles you'll need some formulas and scripts.

You would have to make the "Hero" attacks deal 0.01% in order to be detectable and trigger the Unit/Missile. The thing is that you'll need to keep track of all the hero bonuses (str, items, skills, etc.) and make the Unit/Missile deal the same damage, since the displayed hero damage will be a purely cosmetic thing, and can't be used as a trigger value (unless you detect damage dealt, and heal the target unit for the same amount).

Status
Not open for further replies.