• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to make an item cooldown activate when acquiared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically: when you get an item, it is free to use, it has no cd, how do i make it have a cooldown.

Well there is something, you know im making a Relic system like the AOM relics, wich grant bonus to units and stuff. There is one problem with the ACTIVABLE relics, thus whenever you kill the altar and move the relic to another altar the CD fades to 0, so you can do that all over again, and relics are powerful, so u can guess what kind of a problematic bugg im talking about.

So i need to know if there is a way to make the cooldown of an item activate when you acquire it.

Level 26
Items use the cooldown of an ability specified in Values - Cooldown Group, if not disabled by Values - Ignore Cooldown.

The cooldowns of all items in the user's inventory that share same cooldown group, are simultaneously started. Those items will then store the remaining time and apply that cooldown on pick up. Additionally, the cooldown is saved on the using unit. Any item of the same cooldown group the unit grabs will also be globally infected by cooldown, which is crappily solved by Blizzard.

You can force the usage of an item. In GUI, there are the Hero - Use Item actions for example. Of course, this would fire the cooldown anew in full length and you have to filter the effect that's not supposed to happen.

edit: That's only the case when the item is not perishable/consumed, prolly a bug.

Items use the cooldown of an ability specified in Values - Cooldown Group, if not disabled by Values - Ignore Cooldown.

The cooldowns of all items in the user's inventory that share same cooldown group, are simultaneously started. Those items will then store the remaining time and apply that cooldown on pick up. Additionally, the cooldown is saved on the using unit. Any item of the same cooldown group the unit grabs will also be globally infected by cooldown, which is crappily solved by Blizzard.

You can force the usage of an item. In GUI, there are the Hero - Use Item actions for example. Of course, this would fire the cooldown anew in full length and you have to filter the effect that's not supposed to happen.

edit: That's only the case when the item is not perishable/consumed, prolly a bug.

I say it cause i use a recipe system, so you know, when dropped it becomes a new item and etc...

Level 7
you could use a custom cooldown system for the relics, I could make this for you tonight or tomorrow, but here is how it basically would work.
Unit Uses item, item being used is artifact wait(to insure that it is cast) replace item with alternate form, start a timer to expire in cooldown time, after timer expires replace alternate with castable version.

Status
Not open for further replies.