• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a secondary build menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So I want to experiment a bit with a human peasant and tried to make a secondary build menu for "advanced buildings" using the BTNAdvStruct icon

I tried looking up tutorials and I cannot find anything, can someone please help me or redirect me?

Attachments

• advstruct.png
    advstruct.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 51

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Maybe make two identical units with different buildings, have a button to swap build menus that replaces the unit.

Level 11
Maybe make two identical units with different buildings, have a button to swap build menus that replaces the unit.
I think it's the most common way to achieve the advanced building function. However, if you use two different units, you won't be able to hold shift to build several buildings from both primary and secondary menus. For example, if you order a peasant to build a farm (primary menu) and a shipyard (secondary menu) by using shift, the first order will be canceled.

To my knowledge, many people have tried, but there is no perfect system. There will always be a flaw somewhere. Nonetheless, having two identical units which can swap building menus is probably the best solution at the moment. Hopefuly, maybe Blizzard will add a feature to easily create a second building menu in the future (and a third, a fourth... why not?). I really hope they will.

Some threads about this subject:
Advanced Building
Basic and Advanced Build Icons

Level 3
There are possible solutions I can think of:

1) Use a spell as a building menu, when you cast the spell, replace the unit with another builder.

2) Use spellbook. But that way worker's won't have repair animation.
If you add "repair" on the animation string it will use repair animation.

I've done this. I used a dummy ability as second ability.

I added the building options of both building 'abulites' to the building list in the object editorof the appropriate worker unit.

At game start I disable the buildings supposed to be in the second menu.

When the 'dummy' build is clicked, I disable the main menus buildings from being build, then enable the second menu. Then I force the unit to open the build menu 'force UI key' I think.

And vica versa, I disable the buildings supposed to be in the second menu whenever it is not used. This might require you to do some trickery with the spell book and giving it the build order id. That is not what I did, but probably a lot cleaner.

Basically you have to play around with 'limit training/construction of unit' of the units of the appropriate types in each menu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.