• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[GUI] how to make a chain ability (The easy way)

Level 6

Chain ability tutorial

(the easy way)

This means there is no variables needed

What is a chain ability?

A chain ability is a continuous casting of a desired ability

How to make it

Well all you need are
  1. abilities with base either target or teleport
  2. knowledge about triggers

how this works?

Well it just an ability casted after an another ability is casted

This tutorial has 2 types
  1. teleport based
  2. target based

When you are using teleport based ability that means you are using an ability (ex.blink) to activate this trigger

[trigger=My trigger]Doom Spikes
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Blink
Then - Actions
Unit - Create 1 (any flying unit) for Player 1 (Red) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Facing of Casting unit) degrees
Unit - Add (any ability you want) to (Last created unit)
Wait 0.90 game-time seconds
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to (matching your ability) (Position of Casting unit)
Else - Actions
If - Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to (matched ability)
Then - Actions
Unit - Pause Casting unit[/trigger]

So to clarify your hero will cast an ability equal to blink then it will create a flying unit you picked then it will add the ability you want to the created unit (the ability must be a unit or could just set it to hero ability false and unit ability true) let's just use impale as an example so impale will be added to last created unit then order last created unit to undead crypt lord - impale casting unit.
Now we will make a target based we will use storm bolt

[trigger=My trigger]Doom Spikes
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
Actions
If - Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Storm bolt
Then - Actions
Unit - Create 1 (any flying unit) for Player 1 (Red) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Facing of Casting unit) degrees
Unit - Add (any ability you want) to (Last created unit)
Wait 0.90 game-time seconds
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to (matching your ability) (Position of Targeted unit of ability being cast)
Else - Actions
If - Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to (matched ability)
Then - Actions
Unit - Pause Casting unit[/trigger]

Because we are using target based that means the storm bolt will be the marker of the next ability being cast

Now I know that this is a bit complicated because of my bad English that's why I'm going to tell you how this trigger works first your hero will cast the ability then followed by the condition ability being cast is equal to. That's the part of creating and ability casting next the last created unit cast Impale so your next condition is impale and so on. At the then parts just add if then else multiple do this as many as you want But you can change the event depending on your timing. Then if you want to end your trigger then just add inside casting unit that's all.

If you think that this is helpful a "rep+" would really be appreciated....
I promise when I get my new laptop I will edit this to a more understandable tutorial I was making this on my phone and it is a bit laggy that's why it's hard to edit

Last edited:
Level 11
First post, and it's a shuddy tutorial. There are many things wrong with this:
  1. The structure of your tutorial. Use headlines to signify the main topics/points of your tutorial. The grammar is also poor, this looks like this was made in 5 minutes by not giving a damn.
  2. The tutorial itself is short. There have been many tutorials or rather, submissions that have been regarding chain-type abilities. For example, Chain by Almia. This is not worthy of being uploaded.
  3. The triggers are not embedded into TRIGGER tags, use them whenever you want to post GUI trigger text. Also this was not even copied using "Copy as Text", seems like manually typed.
  4. Triggers are far beyond inefficient. Waits are fraud upon in hive. Look at some tutorials how to make your stuff efficient and leakless/bugless.

I've had a look at the Code and I don't think this tutorial really stands up to scrutiny:

The ability:
- The spell isn't MUI
- Contains leaks
- Utilises wait functions
- Uses Begins casting not starts the effect of

These things aren't inherently disallowed in tutorials - but when it's literally the only content I don't think it stands up

The tutorial:
- Contains no explanation
- Does not deliver the proposed content (this isn't the "easy way", this is the "wrong way"

It is still missing most of the details like:
- What is a Chain Ability
- How does it work?
- how to make one?

About telling how the code works, you are just telling literally what the code is, not how it works.
It's like you are a teacher that teaches people by telling what you read, but not what is the meaning of what you are teaching.

On the code, it uses inappropriate event (begins casting instead of start effect)
- It leaks points
- uses waits
- pauses units
- (Again)documentation on how the code works.

Level 22
I suggest that you should learn more about triggers. What should and what shouldn't.
I'll just point out the mistakes in your trigger even though the others have mentioned it previously and I'll try to explain the reason so you can understand why you should avoid it.

• Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    This event means the trigger will fire when your unit begins casting the ability. Before the ability itself actually works, your trigger will fire first. This can become a problem, you can just cancel the ability quickly after you cast it. Because the ability hasn't worked yet, there will be no cooldown but the trigger will run anyway. Allowing the user to spam this ability. The workaround is to use starts the effect of an ability.
  • As Almia and Tank mentioned, your trigger contains leaks. Don't know what leaks are? Check it out here.
  • You are using waits which isn't a very good thing because waits aren't very accurate and can cause a problem.
    Useful links about waits - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/mui-triggers-waits-218354/ - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...279/mui-spells-using-artificial-waits-223315/
  • Pausing unit isn't good either, the duration of the buff that unit has will be paused as well when you pause a unit. Causing it to have longer effects.

I'm not good at explaining things, so please do help me to give this guy an enlightenment and also please correct any mistake I made if there is any.