• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to install models to WC3 reforged?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It's the same as it's always been, if not even easier now. Make sure to search the forums for an answer before making a new post, this topic is something that people have been discussing for 15+ years.

Step 1: Download the model
Step 2: Go to the Import Manager in the World Editor
Step 3: Click the Import button and choose one of the files that you downloaded (repeat for each file)
Step 4: Double click each file and rename it so it no longer says war3mapimported\

You can now use the model. For icons, you need to give them the appropriate name so that the game knows how to differentiate between the different types -> enabled, disabled, passive, autocast, etc.

All of this information can be found on the model page by clicking the Import paths and How to import this model buttons. You can copy and paste the exact file path for the icons this way.

Last edited:
Level 1
It's the same as it's always been, if not even easier now. Make sure to search the forums for an answer before making a new post, this topic is something that people have been discussing for 15+ years.

Step 1: Download the model
Step 2: Go to the Import Manager in the World Editor
Step 3: Click the Import button and choose one of the files that you downloaded (repeat for each file)
Step 4: Double click each file and rename it so it no longer says war3mapimported/

You can now use the model. For icons, you need to give them the appropriate name so that the game knows how to differentiate between the different types -> enabled, disabled, passive, autocast, etc.

All of this information can be found on the model page by clicking the Import paths and How to import this model buttons. You can copy and paste the exact file path for the icons this way.
It's still don't work. Why theres no videos on youtube with these skins?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
This one was actually a little trickier than usual and it turns out Reforged made things harder than I expected (go figure).

example.png

Once you've imported the necessary files you have to double click each filename and adjust it like you see above. For most things you just delete the words "war3mapimported/". For icons you need to replace "war3mapimported/" with the proper filepath. This information can be found on the Model/Icon/Skin page itself, which I explained before.

The icons don't like to show up in the Object Editor because they're using the DDS file format, however, you can simply paste their filepath in the Custom field to use them. I do this in the demo map below. Requires latest patch to open.

Attachments

• Model Example.w3m
    15.2 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Level 2
This one was actually a little trickier than usual and it turns out Reforged made things harder than I expected (go figure).

View attachment 421835
Once you've imported the necessary files you have to double click each filename and adjust it like you see above. For most things you just delete the words "war3mapimported/". For icons you need to replace "war3mapimported/" with the proper filepath. This information can be found on the Model/Icon/Skin page itself, which I explained before.

The icons don't like to show up in the Object Editor because they're using the DDS file format, however, you can simply paste their filepath in the Custom field to use them. I do this in the demo map below. Requires latest patch to open.
Hello!
Sorry to bother you with this but I have followed every step you posted here and it doesn't work.
The model is just fantastic and I want to install it.
Amazing work! You deserve a medal. Honestly.

Now, I have only installed the Silver Version.
I am wondering if the Editor is again on the fritz because of the latest update.
Thanks and I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• Lich King Imports.png
    Lich King Imports.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 45
Level 2
Hi, thanks. This tutorial does not work anymore since with the new updates.
Now you have to manually delete the "war3mapimported" path.
It works now after saving the map and reopened it.
I have also assigned the model to Arthas hero unit.

I just have to learn how to add new abilities to the model and the Lich King voice.
:)