• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to force a pink (edited) data field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking hate that localized hotkey thing in the object editor. Whenever I define a hotkey that just so happens to match with the original hotkey of the ability it is based off, I constantly have to deal with "broken" hotkeys in other language versions.

Is there a way to force-overwrite a black data field in the editor with a pink (= edited) entry, even if the value is the same as the default value?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes you can force overwrite the field, however probably not from the object editor.

In the object editor files you can declare the overwrite and it will take precedence even if the same on some locales. However I think the WorldEdit object editor lacks this, like it lacks many features.

I found a workaround for this.
It seems that when I use LUA to set the hotkey, the field gets marked as pink even if it's the same value as the default. I guess this is because LUA writes directly into the AbilityData.slk.

Again, LUA saves the day. Damn, I wish I had learned LUA back in the days when I started mapping; could have solved SO MANY problems.

Level 12
With localized hotkey you mean customkeys.txt, right?

Lets say I make a new ability (A000) based on Bladestorm (AOww).
If I do not alter the hotkey of A000 in any way, are you saying that A000 will use the localized hotkey defined in customkeys.txt for AOww?

If not please explain the problem so I can understand it.

Lets say I make a new ability (A000) based on Bladestorm (AOww).
If I do not alter the hotkey of A000 in any way, are you saying that A000 will use the localized hotkey defined in customkeys.txt for AOww?
Correct.
And if I try to alter the hotkey, but set it to the same as before, the editor will still use the one defined in customkeys.txt.

Level 12
And if I try to alter the hotkey, but set it to the same as before, the editor will still use the one defined in customkeys.txt.
Which makes sense because the object files only note down changes from the base object.

But does this mean that using localized hotkeys for newly created abilities (as in the upper example where the game uses the customkeys.txt hotkey of AOww for A000) is only possible via the object files?

Or asking the same question in another way: what would I have to write in the .slk file's hotkey field of A000 that the game uses a (to the map maker unknown) predefined localized hotkey of AOww for my new bladestorm ability A000?

Level 24
I found a workaround for this.
It seems that when I use LUA to set the hotkey, the field gets marked as pink even if it's the same value as the default. I guess this is because LUA writes directly into the AbilityData.slk.

Again, LUA saves the day. Damn, I wish I had learned LUA back in the days when I started mapping; could have solved SO MANY problems.
I don't get it, what did you to make them appear as pink? (I know the user is inactive, but maybe someone else can answer).

Status
Not open for further replies.