• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] How to create Custom Spells with Custom Models in Warcraft 3 Editor?

Level 19
So I have downloaded a Rage Spell from the Model Area of Hive and have Been trying to replace Unholy Frenzy boring cloud with the cool new Rage model. How do I implement The MDX files to create a new spell buff effect?

Level 20
F6 to open object editor, go in Buffs/Effects and the art is handle at this line

1686065194949.png

Level 19
So what do I do next? Add model? Will this automatically implement itself or do I have to change a file pathing first?
Also Yes, I have followed the Models instruction for Importing.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
When you double click the Art - Target field you'll see various options to choose from. One of the options is for imported assets like your custom model. Choose that, find your model, and hit OK. Now assuming that you haven't messed with anything else, you should see in-game that the buff for Unholy Frenzy now uses your new art.

You can create new copies of anything in the Object Editor, which is what most people do when creating a custom Unit/Ability/Item, etc... So if you wanted to have both the original Unholy Frenzy ability in addition to a new version you would copy and paste the original ability and it's buff and then edit these new copies. You would then link the new buff to the new ability by editing the new abilities Buff field.

You'll see when creating a new copy of something that you get asked about a Rawcode. This can be ignored as the Editor will come up with a unique code that works for you, but do note it's importance. The Rawcode is the ID of the object and no two objects can ever have the same ID. The Rawcode can define important behavior, for instance, giving a Unit a Rawcode that starts with a capital letter will make the Unit a Hero. It may also be referenced in code, which some systems written in Jass/Lua will use.

Last edited:
Level 19
To link the Buff, 'Stat- Buffs" Right?
Also, It's still not working for me.
How to implement these files into the object Editor

Screenshot (560).png

Last edited: