• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Putting in Custom Skins/Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay well I've been trying to figure this out for ages, but I've finally decided to post it. There weren't any topics that gave real help on the matter, and the ones that did didn't seem to work.

I need to know how to place a new model into the editor. Heres where I'm at.

Step 1: Download a model file which has a certain amount of textures in it to go with it.

Step 2: Import the files into world editor on a map

Step 3: Replace the Art - Model File From something like "Footman" To a custom .MDL/.MDX file in the imported area.

Step 4: Make a custom path for the textures... And thats where I'm lost, Everything has been fine up until there,

E.g I'd change the model file from Footman to war3imported\Robot.mdl
Then I'd go into the import area and change the textures paths to Textures\Robot.mdl seeing as I'm putting in a model not just a skin. Then i would save it, close editor, re - open, and then it would still just be that annoying invisible lump.

I need help on this otherwise the map I'm making is going to be very plain.

Level 2
I spent a LONG time trying to figure out importing models/skins. I still dont know how to do skins so dont use that code for skins.

Level 32
As Snare said, setting the model's texture path exactly correct is critical.

The model import thing will be a snap once you get the hang of it. Look for the texture paths marked in red text on our download page(s). Those show the skins you need to import and path correctly. Just copy and paste them directly from the web page to your import manager.

How to Import Custom Models provides complete details.

Status
Not open for further replies.