• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How to creat a Custom Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I actually download custom tools here in Hive but how do we make it I am curious because I don't know how to create a tool.I am tagging @Chaosy with this because he has a experties of tool making.

Firstly I want to creat a tool for you to import your image to a loading screen because I really want that

Second I want a tool for creating spells and all that is all I want for now and please tell me what editor you use in making tools?

Thanks @Chaosy but can you tell me what you are using to program a tool do you use Java?

You can find much more of the information you need by searching online. There are many programming languages, choose one that fits you and decide what you want to make and go for it.

In the process you will probably have a lot to read in order to understand what is going on and to figure out how to achieve what you want.

If you are looking to get into something easy to read and write, I would personally suggest Python.

Level 14
You can find much more of the information you need by searching online. There are many programming languages, choose one that fits you and decide what you want to make and go for it.

In the process you will probably have a lot to read in order to understand what is going on and to figure out how to achieve what you want.

If you are looking to get into something easy to read and write, I would personally suggest Python.
Thanks @TriggerHappy!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
But I do not know if and how Javascript can be used for tools, I only use it for web development.
It can be, however its high level nature can make certain aspects of programming difficult. For example, GhostWolf had a lot of problems getting JavaScript to render WC3 models efficiently, and even when he did it still did so quite poorly compared with what even a Java/C# implementation might be capable of due to the limitations of JavaScript.

Java is a good language to write tools in. It has decent execution performance (so complex algorithms or resource intensive jobs perform well) while being completely platform independent.

C# is preferable over C++ as it is generally higher level (more productivity when writing code). C++ has potentially the highest performance for some tasks but for practically every possible tool you might consider creating this is of no benefit. Both can have portable code, but need to be built targeting specific platforms which makes multi-platform deployment harder than with Java.

JavaScript is probably equally portable as practically every browser executes it. Not sure how one would make such a tool but I am guessing the program start would be a html file. Might not run on very old operating systems that lack support for modern browsers if advanced JavaScript features are used.

Python is technically as portable as Java mechanically, however its virtual machines are less common than Java. Everyone can install Python on their computer in 1-2 minutes, however most Windows users probably have not. Rolling out with an incorporated virtual machine destroys portability. The way Python operates can have problems scaling with certain tasks due to its use of runtime name lookups however for most tools this will not be a problem.

Depending what you want your tool to do, some of the functionality may have already been written by some dedicated WC3 fan. I recommend searching GitHub to find if source code for such functionality exists. This might even shape your language choice as it would make a lot more sense using a language where most of your desired functionality is already written rather than having to write it all yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.