• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to become famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello there, Hivers.
I was wondering, how to make (my for example) project famous / popular?
I see maps being uploaded and the downloads / posts are just pumping hard, thousands of downloads in a few weeks, hundreds of posts and people I see first time posting something, exactly there.
Usually, a random map gets few hundreds downloads in a few weeks, even less posts and I don't get it, how other maps get thousands.
What is the key for this kind of success?
Thank you for your replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Make a successful map, then you'll be "famous" ..

Level 22
Yup, well made map = key for success.

I don't believe that. Most people don't care about quality. They just want to play what their friends are playing. Good marketing is all you need.

Plenty of amazing maps on this site are overlooked, because they don't have a pretty map preview or a description with rainbow colored text. That's how it is. :p

Level 12
Well good marketing is one thing to do but I don't think it'll receive good publicity if the map is horribly boring or unplayable.

I'd say, good marketing, combined with a unique map that shows it has a lot of hard work put into it, makes for a good success.

Level 12
Make a good map. Done.
Keep in mind, however, that YOU won't be famous, only the map/category spawned by the map. How many people know who made DOTA, the first Parasite, etc.?

Oh oh! I know the one who made DotA! His name was on one of the items if I'm not mistaken xD "Eul's Scepter of Divinity". Although I haven't played DotA in a while.

ALSO, I wanna say, that people shouldn't make maps aiming to be famous through it. I think people should make maps if they enjoy it.

Level 21
What I would say for a map created now (meaning after Dota and Starcraft II, when the amount of players regulary decreases), so, a NEW project.

1-Make players able participate to your project (suggestions; create a hero, a item someone propose, and write his name in tooltips)
2-Stay regulary online on the map thread/your forum/your website
3-Regulary upload updates / messages
4-Build a community (write tutorials, descriptions, make player able to introduce themselves, to speak)
5-Build a clan
6-Rent a bot. This last point is probably the most important. Websites like TheHive, even if its one of the biggest website, is not enough at all. (More, since it's a website more for map makers than for players). This is the best solution to make your map well known. A bot hosting on the 4 realms 24/7. You can find bots for $5 a month (like cryptwizzard.net)
7-In the map loading screen / bot lobby etc... make links to your website!!
8-Upload your map everywhere (there, wc3.net, epicwar, thehelper, etc etc etc)

Bonus:
Average current players of video games prefer the graphics than the gameplay and the quality (people on a website like THW are not representative since they are more map makers than players) => that's sad, but you will have to focus on importations (sounds, models, skins blabla), terrain. Prefer make a beautifull spell with a custom special effect and a basic blizzard spell than a pure system with 150000 codelines but not effect (and I hate this fact).

Just add a link in your sig...and post alot.

If someone does stumble across your map, these will make them download it:
1. war3mapPreview.tga.
2. Good, long description.
3. High ratings.

If someone downloads it, these are the things that will make others download:
1. They advertise it.
2. They post about how good it is.
3. They rate it high.

Of course, you can make a map with awesome, polished features, but if the core is bad, it won't be popular (except maybe the 1st day, before the news of it being bad is spread).

Status
Not open for further replies.