• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to: Attach a Model or an Effect to a Unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, I'm kinda new to Map Making and The Hive Workshop. I read a Guide, made by Archian, about Attachments but I have a problem.
:fp: http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7314
In the Using an Item part, I didn't really get what we had to do. Where do we have to change the ability to an item ability? The "Stats - Item Ability True" Is it in Object or Hero? I'd really like to know how so I can have a good start to make a RPG game.

Level 19
well if you want to attach something to an unit there is a very simple way to do it
first copy a item stat bonus ability like item hero stat bonus (+1 strenght)
make item ability false make target attachments the attachment number you want
open target and add models you want in a sequence then target attachment point 1 for first model you added type a point in unit like origin or overhead etc add the ability to unit and done
You wont see that ability in unit and unit will have the attachment ah also make strenght bonus 0
if you want to make it in item leave item ability with true and do same other part then add it to item

Level 9
All I do is make a trigger where when you pick up an item it creates a special effect on (point on model), set it as a variable, and then when he drops the item delete the special effect

Or you can just add the effect to the item ability itself. That way you don't need to make a variable for it.

If the item ability you're putting on the item doesn't have a spot for effects, just make a dummy ability based off any orb and set all the stats to 0.

Level 19
All I do is make a trigger where when you pick up an item it creates a special effect on (point on model), set it as a variable, and then when he drops the item delete the special effect

this is totally lame sorry but it is

Level 19
Or you can just add the effect to the item ability itself. That way you don't need to make a variable for it.

If the item ability you're putting on the item doesn't have a spot for effects, just make a dummy ability based off any orb and set all the stats to 0.

hmm if you use orbs you will not be able to use other why dont you just give attachment to a non-orb item ability like hero stat bonus(+1 strenght)

Level 2
Gilles: What I meant is where can I find that part. I have some problems with that because my Warcraft is in French, WE also. What I need was some pictures to help me.

Need_O2: Thanks for that guide, I'll do my best to understand everything. Could you give me that link where you explained it to TreantBG with more details?

Others: Thanks for those guides but Need_O2's guide looks easier to understand and is better. (As PurplePoot said.)

Level 2
Oui, je l'ai trouvé quand Need_O2 a poster son guide.
Merci quand même. :)
Si j'ai d'autre problèmes, j'peux tu te PM?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, I found it when Need_O2 posted his guide.
Thanks anyway. :)
If I have other problems, can I PM you?

Level 9
je te dirais bien oui, mais le forum veux pas que je mette moins de 15 caractères alors je suis obligé de mettre cette tartine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i wish to say yes, but the forum doesn't allow me to put less than 15 caracters, so i must write all this

Level 19
Well Step by step here

---Making Peasant Without Weapon---
First open war3 model editor
1-Select window and select mpq browser Open war3.mpq go Units\Human\Peasant\Peasant.mdx open it and close mpq browser
2- go to Windows again and select model editor there are 4 screens in first screen select the verticles of pickaxe one by one then click transformations->scaling make x 1 y 1 and z 1 to x 0 y 0 and z 0 then press ok Pickaxe is disappeared close model editor window
3- go to Windows again and open sequance manager and delete everyone contains gold or lumber like Attack Gold and Delete Stand - 3
4- Save the model to somewhere and Import it in your map change file path to Units\Human\Peasant\peasant.mdx
Peasant without weapon is done

----Attaching Weapons----
Copy any item ability which gives stat bonus like "Item Hero Stat Bonus (+1 Strength)"
Data - Strength Bonus to 0
Art - Target Attachments to 1
Select "Art - Target Attachment Point 1" press add string type weapon and press ok press ok again
Select "Art - Target" press add model now select weapon model you want to show press ok and ok again
Then add this ability to Item you want
DONE when you recived this item it will be showed in your hand when you drop it it will be disappear
Tell me if it doesnt work but it worked for me

And I can give you a Peasant without pickaxe model if you cant make it

Here This is my guide with attaching weapons hmm you can skip the removing weapon of peasant part
Sorry for double posts by the way
And you can change the Select "Art - Target Attachment Point 1" point from weapon to whatever you want like you may want to make body armor or something else
I can give you better information about how to attach multiple models to different parts of body with one or more ability if you need

Status
Not open for further replies.