• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does one play WC3 now? Can't find download links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
The way I understand your post is that you've bought Reforged on an account that already had classic Warcraft 3 registered and you were hoping that you'd get an extra set of classic cd-keys that you could later give to your friend, so you could play together.

---

Well, if that's the case, I will have to disappoint you - Reforged pre-purchase doesn't come with a set of extra cd-keys for classic Warcraft 3. What happens is that if you buy Reforged on an account that didn't previously have classic Warcraft 3 registered, the account will get automatically updated to also include the older version of the game, allowing you to play it instantly. However, if your account already had your old cd-keys added to it, you will not receive a free version of classic Warcraft 3 with your pre-purchase.

In such case, I can see 2 options:

1) You can try submiting a ticket to Blizzard Support, asking them to award a classic Warcraft 3 licence to some other account, because the one you've bought Reforged on was not eligible to receive a free copy of classic Warcraft 3, but... I highly doubt that Blizzard will agree.

2) What I'd consider doing in your position is trying to get a refund on your pre-purchase - since it's a pre-order, it shouldn't be that hard to get. Once you get a refund, you can go ahead and register another Battle.net account and then pre-purchase Reforged on it, so that it gets a free copy of the classic game. Then you can just share your account data with your friend and have him play on your account for the time being. Once Reforged comes out, you can try asking Blizzard to merge both of your accounts so that ultimately you're not stuck with 2 separate accounts - I don't think that Blizzard will have any issues with that.

However, be mindful that this technique will require you to share your account with someone, which:

a) Is against the EULA and while I don't think that something like this could get you banned, I'd advise against going around and telling people (especially Blizzard's support agents you will contact to merge your accounts) about this.

b) Always puts you at risk. If you share your account data with someone, there's always a possiblility that this person will steal your account, so be careful.

c) There's always a slight risk that Blizzard will frown at such tactics and/or might refuse to merge both of your accounts.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Everyone who pre-purchases games supports an industry practice that is built around exploiting gullible customers.

Do not pre-purchase games. Not even from blizzard. How many times do people need to get screwed over before they will learn?

Back in my days, we purchased games and got the full game for the box price. There was no shit like DLCs, pre-purchase or early access. I want these times back.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Everyone who pre-purchases games supports an industry practice that is built around exploiting gullible customers.

Do not pre-purchase games. Not even from blizzard. How many times do people need to get screwed over before they will learn?

Back in my days, we purchased games and got the full game for the box price. There was no shit like DLCs, pre-purchase or early access. I want these times back.

It has some level of convenience.
I rarely preorder, but it happens occasionally.

I preordered both Legion and the BfA expansions for WoW since I knew I wanted to continue playing. No regrets in either case.
And I also preordered wc3 reforged for similar reasons, no matter how shit the gameplay is I would be happy with just getting the HD models, and those are fine as seen in the existing video footage.
0% chance of disappointment for me. I guess my standards are not that high.

On a more practical level it makes sure I can pay for the game when it releases, I am hopeless when it comes to saving money. So being able to pay in advance is a big benefit for me.

Level 5
As far as I know reforged maps and war3 maps can be played on either. imported files carry over and stay the same, meaning low poly things will look weird in reforged and stand out. Im pretty sure there will be a series of updates that will bridge the gap between reforged and 3 before release.

The problems I see are things with Attachment Points and the scaling of some models. Animation speed too. As people may have been trying other exotic things that might not look good on the new models, like some weapons might not look as good attached to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.