• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does damage calculation work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Because i never mentioned it before, thanks for this awesome map, we are really having a blast playing it on LAN.

Now to my question, i really have a hard time deciding when it comes to choosing talents because game mechanics are really not transparent.

What i already know so far:

20% block value applies before armor

yeah and that's about it what i would love to know is

How high is my chance to be critically hit?
How high is my base chance to hit or how much evasion do mobs have?
How high is the crit multiplier for mobs, 1,5 or 2,0 or anything else?

If an attack critically hits is the initial value calculated to be a crit or the final part of the attack which goes through e.g.

I have 100 armor and a shield and get hit by a 200 damage attack which crits

Do i take 200x2=400x0,8=320-100=220 or
Do i take 200x0,8=160-100=60x2=120

Also how exactly does parry work and where exactly does the damage mitigation occur?

Basicly, physical damage is calculated like this:

Calculation damage = Raw damage x Block x Parry x Crit
Mitigated damage = Calculation damage - Max([armor - ArP], ArP)*
Result damage = Mitigated damage x post-armor multipliers** - absorb***

*ArP reduces effective armor; if ArP is higher than the remaining damage, ArP will be used as the minimum damage dealt.
**Post-armor multipliers are for example the PvP damage reduction, Stone Skin, etc.
***Divine Protection, Imbue armor, Deathfire Veil, etc.

Level 2
Thank you very much for the fast reply, one question remains though. Do mobs have static crit chances, base evasion chances and ArP values or are the different for every mob?

Editing my Edit: Just to make sure i understood everything correctly, assuming the following:

Monster: Strikes for 200, the attack hits critically in addition the monster has 30 ArP
Player: Blocks because he is facing the monster, in addition parries, player has 120 Armor

200x2x0,8x0,5=160
160-(120-30)=70

Edit: Just to be sure, this would mean in the above example i would get hit by 220 damage?
Yes. The crit factor gets applied before armor calculus.

All bosses and units in the game have different evasion/crit/ArP scores.
However, most units have 5-10% evasion, 5-10% crit and no ArP. There are only a few outliers. Remember that the level difference matters aswell.
For each level above or below the enemy, you get +/-1% crit chance, +/-2% crit damage and +/-1% hit chance.

So a level 50 enemy will gain +5% crit, +10% crit damage and +5% hit against a level 45 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.