• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you make villagers harvest properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
How do you make villagers harvest properly?

Using the proper work animations and stuff.

I have a feeling someone has already asked this question, but when I googled for it I just found stupid and unhelpful answers on other sites and it wasn't working when I tried to search for it on hive for some reason.

If this has already been answered, sorry for asking it again, but can you link me to it please?

Maybe you could use another model? I mean map size isn't that much of a problem anymore.
Villager 255 Animations
This one should have some decent animations IIRC.

It does not have proper gold/lumber animations, as they are used for other stuff like bow animations. So that one will not work.

Level 9
It does not have proper gold/lumber animations, as they are used for other stuff like bow animations. So that one will not work.

Oh! I thought it was one of those enhanced villager models with proper animations.
Long time ago I used one, but not sure where I'd get it and if I still have it, thought it was the 255 Animations Version.
My apologies.

Level 13
In the campaign, Trudging through the Ashes map (RoC_U01), they are just playing stand work animation through triggers.

RUM1Harvesters.png

• Harvesters Start
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Space out the animations to prevent them from being sync'd --------
      • Animation - Play HarvesterFake's stand work animation
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
      • Animation - Play Harvester1's stand work animation
      • Wait 0.20 seconds
      • Animation - Play Harvester2's stand work animation

Level 13
I'm afraid I can't help you any further because I have zero knowledge in modeling/animating.

All I know is that the standard villager model shouldn't display any lumber/gold being carried as they do not have those animations. Perhaps you could ask someone here to attach that piece of wood/lumber and their respective animations to the villager model for you.

If I'm not mistaken, the villager will need these animations after having the lumber model attached to him:

attack lumber
stand lumber
stand work lumber (optional - for building structures while carrying lumber)
walk lumber

stand work is only naturally played when the unit is building a structure.

Level 8
So I've imported the file into the import manager, but how do I add the animation to the villager?

I remember in the past I have used custom models, but I don't think I have ever used a custom animation before. I couldn't intuitively figure out what to change. I was guessing something in the animations/art of the villager.

What do I need to edit/where do I need to put the file?

Level 8
It works pretty cool. I think I have something set wrong though because the portrait comes up black instead of a villager face.

He also looks like he is punching the tree and not using a pickaxe, but he does carry lumber/gold which is great.

Edit: I just discovered something very strange. The normal villager will use the pickaxe properly to repair if you give him the repair ability.

If only there was some way to just get him to harvest like that.

It works pretty cool. I think I have something set wrong though because the portrait comes up black instead of a villager face.

I updated the pastebin link I provided, import both models, if you change the filename of the base model make sure you rename the other one (with '..._Portrait' in the filename) aswell but don't remove the '_Portrait' in the filename, so you should have both VillagerWithWorkAnim.mdx and VillagerWithWorkAnim_Portrait.mdx in your map, the portrait should work properly after that.

Last edited:
Level 8
The portrait is working now, but they still punch the trees instead of hitting them with their pickaxes.

The repair animation looks perfect. I just want to swap their attack/harvest animation (punching) with their repair animation (pickaxing).

Status
Not open for further replies.