• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do protoss people talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Still, it makes little sense to me, personally, why the protoss would bother developing they're own language (some stuff the zealot and carrier say is either elaborate grunting or sophisticated speech, i think its the latter). But whatever, i suppose this topic is done, the clear answer is that they talk with theyre minds via telepathy as many users have pointed out. I just kind of wish they had a way of communicating with sound, thats all.

Level 11
Well, I guess they make sounds during communication unwillingthly (because protoss strain every nerve to telepate). And by that sound you might can guess what they're saying, though it's very hard to.

Some protoss, anyway, who are very special, don't make sound during telepathy action.

Level 11
And you tell us that like you have met one and know it for sure. Sry but i have to repeat myself, you can only guess.

I'm making it up to make everyone content. I'm a story writer.

And protoss don't exist, so you don't have to be afraid of everything I said about them.

Then... WHY are they making sounds when they ''talk'' to each other in the briefing screen in the early levels of protoss? :razz:

They are farting. Yeah, they have asses. Farting is a very hard process too... And that explains pretty much.
It's very decent for protoss to fart.

Last edited:
Level 13
On days like today I am reminded just how few intellectuals exist on this earth.

I kind of wish this thread to be locked now. Clearly it has served its purpose ?

Level 14
Heh, im looking at all of your theories and im cracking up. However, I am well educated in starcraft-lore. I read up on the history and everything of nearly every game I play, that I like. So here goes my explanations on how the Protoss work.

The Protoss brain is very similar to the Human brain. However, there is on major diffrence, and that is a bigger and Elongated cerebellum. This Psycic ability is how the Protoss create shields and sustain it, as well as creating dangerous weapons. Only a small group of Protoss with extreme mental abilitys can create these items without slight technological aid.

Quick note before I move onto communication. Those who are seriously injured and decide to be put into Dragoons must be in the military no matter what. If they choose they no longer wish to fight, the Dragoon life support system will be cut off, and they die or as the Protoss like to say it, join with their ancestors in the Khala. A little sad.

Protoss are natural mind readers, but are natural thought releasers. They must learn how to block out other's emotions, and how to filter out what emotions and thoughts escape their mind. They speak to other protoss telepathically, in a language known as "Khalani".
Terran who pick this up would only here random symbols. However, some protoss, like Fenix, are able to turn this into understandable form for the Terran. Before each protoss map, you are hearing them communicate through "Khalani", but it is converted to English for you by Blizzard. o_O Protoss also have the ability to mind-meld, exactly the same way as the Vulcans/Romulans from Star Trek. Non-psychic communication is currently being researched by the protoss, and some of the prototypes of that research appears on the zealots, who have an implemented machine to act as vocal cords.

Protoss sleep and dream the same way as humans do. There bodys take this time to repair. Also, the brain becomes rested, for constant strain from using weapons and shields does lead to fatigue.

Protoss hear and smell through there skin. They primarily use sight, however they have a very sharp sense of smell. The get there energy from the sun, but unlike humans who need to feed frequently, the Protoss can survive a decent period of time before feeling the effects. The protoss skin is made out of small scales, and the skin color changes to reflect emotions.

Who thinks you have ever killed a zealot,dark templar, or normal templar in Starcraft? well, none of you have ever done so, because they do not have the ability to die in starcraft. You can see that there death animation is a some swirling energy. Well, protoss armor is equipped with a portal device. Upon serious injury in battle, the armor activates, and teleports the protoss troop to a medical bay. There, they can choose to be put in a dragoon and forced into military service, or to die. Great choice.

Now lastly, the awaited question of how protoss reproduce. They produce in almost the same way as humans do. The females have the similar organs as the human females. However, the protoss males, do not have the external organs, and all of there organs are internal as well. After a one year gestation they give birth.

The children grow up at about the same speed as human children. However, a protoss life-expectancy is 1000 years. The oldest humans, would be considered a young man or young lady (teenager) to them.

A slight protoss religous lesson. The Protoss currently have 3 main religious figures.
Khas- Khas used the Khaydarin Crystals to end a war between diffrent protoss clans, and the religion that came from him is the dominant religion of the Protoss.

Adun- He is one figure who is acknowledged by both the Dark Templars, and Khas's religion. He was ordered to kill rogue Protoss clan's. However, he could not bring himself to kill his own people, so he attempted to hide them. In the end though, he failed, and the majority of those clans were executed.

Tassadar- after his heroic and climactic sacrifice to defeat the first overmind, he became a major part of the Protoss Society and religion. Tassadar is an example of the protoss Virtues, and the saying was adopted "En Taro Tassadar"

So, that will end my small lesson. Any other questions? I think I covered it all... *cough* rep *cough*. o_O hehe, sorry I think I have somthing in my throat.

~Asomath
"World Editor Trainee

Level 11
World Editor Trainee eh? I don't play starcraft, but -- I AM FREAKING HAPPY OF YOUR LESSION! You are a god!

Since I don't play starcraft, and protoss DO fart AND make uncontrollable sounds, let someone else grant you easily desired rep! :smile:

EDIT: read the post again.

Last edited:
Level 13
One wonders where the hell people find this kind of lore. Are there Starcraft fact books out there?
I'm guessing it's the same thing with Blizzard and Black Library (=Warhammer book publisher or something like that) that every book is considered canon until the creators of the IP state otherwise. This can, however, lead to really complicated lore where one book states that Marines can do that and that while another states they can't.

How is this related to your question? Well I'm guessing that knowledge was featured in one of the Starcraft books and Asomath so much happened to read it.

Level 14
Although somtimes blizzard screws it up, they do their best to imbue their games with rich and interesting lore. They put up books and websites to expand their games lore and support it. Heck, there is a Starcraft wiki. As I recall there are currently 9 released books, some dealing with the protoss and their history. Only one, Starcraft Ghost, is made by Blizzard Entertainment Itself.

Speaking of sources, did any others manage to play the other 2 starcraft games besides the original starcraft and broodwar. There were four starcraft games, except 2 of them arent directly made by blizzard, just smaller companies under Blizzard's wings. One of those games deal directly with the Xel'naga, which provides more information about its history. Just thought I would mention them. ^_^

~Asomath

Level 13
It would help if you uh, gave their names.

As far as i know there was SC: Ghost, but that was indefinitely put on hold, meaning nobodys working on it, in addition blizzards console department was closed and as 'Ghost was a console bound game, its not likely any of us are ever going to play it.

But what the heck is this Xel naga game you mentioned. I cant find any information about it on the blizzard main site, or many starcraft sites, so please, enlighten me before i call bullshit !

PS: The starcraft: Ghost novel wasn't very good imo, The one about Liberty (some news dude) and The Queen of Blades were cool though... Soory that was kind of irrelevant.

Level 13
But what the heck is this Xel naga game you mentioned. I cant find any information about it on the blizzard main site, or many starcraft sites, so please, enlighten me before i call bullshit
He is most likely talking about either Starcraft: Insurrection or Starcraft: Retribution. They were Starcraft expansions made by other companies but authorized by Blizzard. They only offered new campaigns and new multiplayer maps, no new units. However, theyr canonity is up for debate.

StarCraft: Insurrection - StarCraft Wiki- A complete database on the StarCraft universe; StarCraft II, Lore, Characters, and Gameplay.
StarCraft: Retribution - StarCraft Wiki- A complete database on the StarCraft universe; StarCraft II, Lore, Characters, and Gameplay.

Level 14
Yes, I was talking about Insurrection and Retribution. Although I have never played them cause they were around $100 on Amazon >.> I was told that Retribution had alot to do with the Xel'naga. However, I cant vow for that myself, unless I feel like paying $
$100 for a game >.>

~Asomath

Status
Not open for further replies.