• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do people start creating games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old

old

Level 6
No better place to make a question like this if not in a gamers group.
If someone know, if you are an expert or know something about this, answer me with your goodwill. Example to explain my question: You guys probaly know the game "LoL", "GTA", "Overwatch" and others, imagine that those games don't exist yet and i have the idea, only the idea, to create they, what should i do? I mean what is the whole process to create some game? How did LoL was created, but not how LoL itself was created, but Riot, how did Riot was founded? how did they got the money to start creating their game? how did they got the team of developers? how did biizzard make their game? How did rockstar make it? How did they start?
Did you guys get my doubt? So, now, imagine that i want to create a game, How can i start? How can i make the samething, how can i create my own game like all this game companies started? How to start?
This is just a curiosity mine, i always want to know this.
Note that i don't wan't to know the process of creating the game itself (characters, history, plot, etc), what i want to know is how to start doing this, someone can answer me plz.

Level 32
Flowchart:
You have an idea! Do you have any skills and resources to create the game?
Yes -> You can start creating the game
No -> You cannot start creating the game​

What I mean by this is that if you have the skills and resources, you can actually start creating the game. Then, you can go get supported for it by either creating your own team, being hired by a company, selling it to a company, or crowdfunding, etc. If you don't have the skills and resources, you can't create a game. But you can share your idea, then someone else, may it be an individual or dev team, will create it - thus making it not your game to create.

By skills, I mean stuff like programming, concept art creation, modeling, management, etc. Resources like time, money, team members, hardware, software, etc.

How the individual corporations / games started up like Riot for LoL I don't know. They all have their own story that you can look up.

Also edited the title from "I don't know if this is the right place to post, so please don't ban me" to "How do people start creating games?"

Reactions: pyf

old

old

Level 6
Yeh yeh, my doubt is 75% answered. In my doubt is: LoL doens't exist in my alleged theory, i have the idea to create League of legends, but i am just a guy with no skills, just had the idea, so what can i do? I mean, i know i need money, and LoL is technically a big game so it costs millions (I think LoL in the beginning was 7 million), in the end, the true question is how to get the financing (or if it is even possible), because, at the true, money is the main requiriment. The money can make all the rest (the development team - Audio, Artists, Programmers, Publishers, etc... And me without any skill would be the "director", as i'm paying for their job and the idea of the game is mine, so i tell the developers what to do to make it).

For what i know Brandom and Merryl (Riot founders) didn't have any skills.

Last edited:
Level 25
These threads tend to come up from time to time, and everytime I and other modders give the same advice (sort of):

Don't be the idea guy.
Find something you like working with, 3d tools, game design, programming, etc. Don't be the guy with the idea that will force others to do your idea.
It won't work and people won't join your project and you will probably not find it fun, especially if others don't do exactly your thing.

Money isn't the issue, people do stuff for free if they feel they like doing it. Just look at this site, 17000+ maps and none of them were paid for.

And to say that Brandom and Merryl didn't have any skills is not the truth as they both had an university education before starting Riot Games.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.