• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I merge nodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRious

M

MrRious

Hi. I'm making my first model - a mage worker with a robe attached to his armour. The problem is, I don't know how to merge the upper part of his robe with his torso. The fact that they aren't merged is especially obvious during his walking animation. The robe wiggles back and forth.

I'm uploading the pictures and the model if anyone wants to edit it directly.

Attachments

• MageWorkerTest2B.mdx
    138.4 KB · Views: 27
  • MortarTeam2.blp
    108.8 KB · Views: 27
  • HighElfPeasant3.blp
    91.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Mage1.png
    Mage1.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Mage2.png
    Mage2.png
    152 KB · Views: 87
Level 21
I don't really understand what you're asking in the title of this thread. Maybe you're confused about what nodes and vertices are?

Looking at the model, I think the bottom part of the robe should be attached to "Bone_Pelvis", while the top part should be attached to "Bone_Pelvis" and "Bone_Chest".

Right now the entire robe geoset is attached to a random bone called "ROBE 2"; this causes the geoset to rotate with the left leg because "ROBE 2" is a child of "Bone_Leg1_L" for some reason.

MrRious

M

MrRious

I don't really understand what you're asking in the title of this thread. Maybe you're confused about what nodes and vertices are?

Looking at the model, I think the bottom part of the robe should be attached to "Bone_Pelvis", while the top part should be attached to "Bone_Pelvis" and "Bone_Chest".

Right now the entire robe geoset is attached to a random bone called "ROBE 2"; this causes the geoset to rotate with the left leg because "ROBE 2" is a child of "Bone_Leg1_L" for some reason.

I feel ankward saying that, but after all this time I still can't figure out how to do it. The thing I specifically can't do is choosing beetwen the upper and bottom part of the robe - I only know how to attach the whole thing.

Could you please explain it all to me step by step, please? Just as I said, I'm still new to modeling.

MrRious

M

MrRious

What software do you use? I usually use Mdlvis for attaching vertices to bones, but there are newer programs that have more features and are possibly less buggy and easier to use, e.g. Matrix Eater and Retera's Model Studio.

(Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get a notification and thought you haven't replied)

I mostly use War3ModelEditor and Matrix Eater, though I also downloaded the Mdlvis (still figuring it out)

Level 21
I mostly use War3ModelEditor
War3 Model Editor can attach an entire geoset to a particular bone, but there is no way to tell the individual vertices which bones should affect their movement, i.e. it cannot attach only a part of a geoset to one bone, and another part of that same geoset to a separate bone.
Matrix Eater
Use the View Controller to hide all geosets except for the one you'll be working on; left-click and drag in a view to create a selection box; dragging it over some vertices will select them when you release the left mouse button; with the vertices selected, right-click anywhere in the workspace > Re-assign Matrix; choose the bone (or multiple bones if you Ctrl + click) on the right side of the screen; click the Use Bone(s) button; now the chosen bones will appear on the left side of the screen; click the Accept button and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.