• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How Do I Fix Waypoints That Wont Work Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi, as the title says, i need help with waypoints in a TD.
The problem is, i maze around a waypoint in my map, but on the way to the waypoint that i mazed around, the creeps touch another waypoint.
This makes them ignore earlier waypoints that they havent passed yet.
How do i fix this?

Level 3
Do you mean... If from one way point to another way point, a different way point is in between the two that you want it to move to... you want to avoid that happening?

well, like this: i make it so that the units have to pass a later waypoint before they pass the first waypoint and that makes them ignore the irst waypoint wich makes it hard to maze.

Or like this:
Unit is walking towards 1 but has to touch 2 to get to a because my towers make them do that. Unit ignores 1 and heads directly for 3.:thumbs_down:

Level 3
I don't really understand what you mean, if you could post your map I'll take a look and get back to you.

Here's the map.
It's based on Andrewgosu from Thehelper's template.
Everything is in GUI and i dont know JASS as i'm rather new to map making.
So "explain" it in GUI, please.:wink:

Attachments

• Tower_Defence_Template Första FörsöketEdit Terrain Complete 2 towers ready__.w3x
    80.7 KB · Views: 50
Level 3
It seems to me the reason is that he has the custom value of the unit, which is basically just a number, set as a RANDOM between 1 and 2 for the first movement triggers, if the unit's custom value = 1 it sends the unit one way, if it's 2 the unit goes the other way.

To edit this so the unit only goes down 1 path you need to remove the movement triggers and redo them. I suggest starting from scratch because jumping into a TD with a bunch of Variables in it already is hard to comprehend because whoever made them does it in his/her own way. He set all the movement triggers using variables instead of regions, which is good, but not for a beginner.

If you want an easier way to start off your TD making experience, download the version I edited and take a look at Red's movement triggers, they are honestly less efficient than using variables, but they are much easier to make and copy/paste. Map

If that was not the problem you were speaking of, there is also another problem. I found out while experimenting that if you maze and the units touch other points on the way to their first point, they will follow that trigger instead of the one they were currently following.

• Events
  • A unit Enters Red Spawn <gen>
  • Conditions
  • Owner of ((Triggering unit) Equal to hostileCreeps (This just means it is owned by Player 12 (Brown)
  • Actions
  • Unit - Order - (Triggering unit) to Move To (Center of Red Move 1 <gen>)
This, of course, sends the unit to the said area. BUT, if on the way he encounters another region (AKA another way-point), he will instantly drop the other trigger and go to that said region/area instead. So if the trigger is:
  • Events
  • A unit Enters Red Move 1 <gen>
  • Conditions
  • Owner of ((Triggering unit) Equal to hostileCreeps
  • Actions
  • Unit - Order - (Triggering unit) to Move To (Center of Red Move 2 <gen>)
The unit will go to Red Move 2 instead of the original Red Move 1.
To fix that you either need to put in some Boolean Values/Variables, or block the region from the creeps somehow until they enter the first one. If you need some help with that let me know.

I hope that helps you with your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.