• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can you change a starting location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Query #1
So I am working on map (that I currently call "Faction Wars"), and my map includes a variety of different races. What I mean by that is that instead of the usual 4 choices that you have between Human, Orc, Night Elf, and Undead; I am going to have Dwarf, Gnoll, etc. I already have most of my Dwarf race in, and I was wondering if I could change the starting locations: so that instead of getting just a Town hall and 5 peasants (for example), I would get a building that gives me the option to choose from different races.

Query #2
Keeping everything from Query #1 in mind, I would like to have a trigger so that when I pick a race from my custom starting location, it would give me (for example): 1 Great Hall (Dwarf equivalent of a Town Hall) and 5 Dwarven workers. Also, I would want the building that I chose my race from to be destroyed.

Query #3
The losing conditions of my game are going to be the same as the regular losing conditions--if all of your bases are gone, you lose. So I want there to be a trigger that commences upon game initialization that makes it so that a player cannot lose within the first minute of the game. (The reason why I want this is because there are going to be no bases to begin with, so it's just going to say that everyone loses if I don't have this trigger).

Query #4
My last and final query is that I want to be able to change "the starting units" for the starting locations. Plain and simple.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Level 37
This is all pretty basic triggering.

1) Create some building for every player in their starting locations. Then create a trigger that detects when the building is selected, the display a dialog for that player. Name the dialog buttons by the race names. When a player clicks a dialog button, spawn the starting units for him.

Or you can spawn "barracks" for all players, and make it have 4 units that it can train. Make the units cost 0 and have 0 train time. Create a trigger that detects when a unit enters playable map area. Then remove the "barracks" and the unit and spawn starting buildings.

2) You can create the buildings in pre-set regions to make sure they don't spawn in bad locations.

3) Create a trigger that has the event "elapsed game time equal to 60" and the that trigger turns on the losing condition trigger.

Level 10
That is not possible (that's what I've been told).. the only way to make it is to create each unit yourself with the trigger action Unit - Create Unit blablabla instead of using the Melee trigger action for creating starting units..

Status
Not open for further replies.