• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to avoid starting location requirement??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I can't save my map without all players having their starting locations in place. How can I avoid that? Or, even better, how can I change starting units and make them constant regardless of what race is chosen?
Another thing, how can I retain automatic placement of players over the map? For example, I want starting units (for all players) to be 4 footmen, but each time map is loaded, they should be created at a different gold mine (just like regular game). And there is no town hall. Just the units and randomize start locations.

Thank you!

Level 11
I can't save my map without all players having their starting locations in place. How can I avoid that? Or, even better, how can I change starting units and make them constant regardless of what race is chosen?
Another thing, how can I retain automatic placement of players over the map? For example, I want starting units (for all players) to be 4 footmen, but each time map is loaded, they should be created at a different gold mine (just like regular game). And there is no town hall. Just the units and randomize start locations.

Thank you!

You can't save the map without placing the start locations, but all start locations really do is set where the player's camera starts. To get rid of all the other stuff (like the town hall creation), just go into your Trigger Editor and delete the "map initialization" trigger, and make your own trigger instead.

Level 2
Now that I've done that and put my own Town Hall, immediately after the game starts I get a message that I'll be revealed because I don't have a "regular" Town Hall. How do I fix that?

I also want to know is it possible to have computer players unaffected by my modified initialization triggers? That would mean: I, regardless of race that I chose, get a starting Town Hall (which is my custom one) and few units (and thank you for that, I know how to do it now), BUT computer players still depend on the race they chose and their starting units are regular.

I want to do this for testing and balancing purposes so I always get the same units and opponents don't get affected (as when I click test map I get a computer enemy).

Level 6
Is your town hall a custom unit? If so it must be 'counted' as a town hall like altars. (this can be done via Gameplay Constants.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

~If you want it to stay as a mele map

We tried doing something like this for one of the (the first?) race building competition. The simplest way to do it is to get someone to make a jass/vjass/gui/mui trigger that instantly replaces the starting unit's at the beginning of the map, but you will encounter the problem of "your base will be revealed without a town hall thing". To solve the revealing issue well..... ok totally forgot how I fixed it before =/ sorry.

Level 2
And do you know how to write that trigger? Maybe you could help me out, I'm only getting into the World Editor and I just started experimenting with triggers, but I still can't make a little more complex things. For now I have only mastered the object editor to every detail :D

Level 6
And do you know how to write that trigger? Maybe you could help me out, I'm only getting into the World Editor and I just started experimenting with triggers, but I still can't make a little more complex things. For now I have only mastered the object editor to every detail :D

I doubt you mastered the object editor. But like I said- look in the gameplay constants. Also, there is a building type selection in the object editor. Check it as a town hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.