• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hosted Projects Unveiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Today we are announcing two new Hosted Projects!
The Legends of Arkain Series & Island Troll Tribes!

hostedprojectarticle00-png.289756

full

Legends of Arkain is a singleplayer campaign series focusing on RTS elements with various factions waging war on each other. It is up to you, the player, to choose your side. Step forth! The great nations and personalities of Arkain await you.

hostedprojectarticle05-png.289821
Island Troll Tribes combines survival and PvP melee combat in a fight to the death for domination of the islands. Players can join together on teams of up to six players per tribe, or even go head to head. You need to fight for survival against the environment and enemy trolls while gathering resources to build up your strength.

This is my first post as a Community Manager. For those who don't know me, I have been on the Hive for years because of my deep love for Warcraft 3. Two years ago, I started mapping again and since then I have been coming here daily. As unexcepted as it was for me, I am really glad to have become part of the staff. I have been enjoying this community for years and it's time to give back. Let's have a great time together!
Yours truly,
Wareditor.

Level 14

Legends of Arkain is a singleplayer campaign series focusing on RTS elements with various factions waging war on each other. It is up to you, the player, to choose your side. Step forth! The great nations and personalities of Arkain await you.

➤ THREE UNIQUE STORYLINES

All preview screens were made by Heinvers

Take control of one of the powerful factions, the proud Humans of the Empire and the Kingdoms, the plundering and strong Orc Clans or the mysterious Undead Nexus and their endless army of the dead, and face the demonic invasion as well as other struggles that await you. Three alternate timelines with events overlapping with each other, all taking place in the same core universe.

You'll have the opportunity to decide things, that affect the storyline, characters and sometimes even the chapters you play or how you have to play them. By doing or, well, not doing certain side quests, you can also affect the story. The choice is yours to make!

➤ STRATEGIC COMBAT EXPERIENCE AND INTELLIGENT CHALLENGES

hostedprojectarticle02-png.289744

The Combat is really intense

Recruit your armies, gather your allies and heroes and lead them to battle. It is up to you to find the best strategy to deal with your enemies.
Command units you already know, as well as completely new units with new upgrades and abilities.

You can play the campaign in either easy, normal or hard difficulty, just like in the original WC3 campaigns. It will impact on the AI difficulty and scripting as well as other minor changes.
 In easy version, for example, the AI won't rebuild lost buildings. Every single AI is written in Jass instead of being created with the AI editor. This makes the AI more intelligent.

➤ THE AUTHOR'S WORDS

hostedprojectarticle03-png.289749

W: How was Legends of Arkain started ? What were your motivations ?
S: To answer this question, I would like to quote the answer I gave to this in the Arkain Question Time (AQT) from the 2nd of Septemer:
Well, the motivation was pretty simple. I had already created around 80 campaigns for WarCraft 3 in my younger years. Most of these were parts of a series, I think it was about...I cannot remember how many, maybe ten series?
Anyway, none of them were released, the maps never had a quality that would make them worth releasing - today, all of them are lost anyway. I didn't intend to release any of them either since they were made for me and some friends to play, not to be published. One day, however, I wanted to create a campaign series that I would upload, a campaign series with quality high enough to be approved in the Map Section. That was in 2012. Sadly, my computer got broken and I considered the files lost. I didn't want to start from anew, lost motivation and focused on other things instead. In 2014, I recovered the files and started the Arkain thread.

W: What do you plan to achieve with this project ?
S: Here I would like to quote the AQT again:
My goal is to create a campaign series with a great storyline and gameplay and enjoy doing it as long as it lasts. I also hope that people keep enjoying it.
Apart form that, I have no goals, expectations or hopes for achievements. I have no illusions about this being a step to creating my own game out of it or anything – I don't even want that, this is a hobby, it shall stay a hobby.

W: What elements make it an interesting project to you ?
S: Arkain was always supposed to be different from any other project I had been working on, with its own universe and storylione. Some races like the Humans or the Orcs are like you would expect them to be from other fantasy universes, even though there are differences of course.
The Undead on the other hand are extremely different from, say, the WarCraft universe. They have only one leader, yes, but he has no interest in power or conquering, instead he is an ancient being who wants to keep the balance of the world of Arkain, seeing every/most races as part of the balance that must be kept at all cost.
I just find it interesting to create this universe, create the races and their different subfactions, have the ability to shape my the characters and how the events affect them or what secrets they keep or what unexpected turns the story itself can take.
And then there is the gameplay where I can come up with new ways to make maps challenging and decide what to do to give the player the tools to master the challenge, like making the player feel satisfied for having been able to breach into that heavily-fortified fortress.

➤ MEDIA

full
full
full

➤ IMPORTANT LINKS

Hosted Project Forum
Downloads

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Level 14

Island Troll Tribes combines survival and PvP melee combat in a fight to the death for domination of the islands. Players can join together on teams of up to six players per tribe, or even go head to head. You need to fight for survival against the environment and enemy trolls while gathering resources to build up your strength.

➤ A FUN PVP MAP WITH A DEEP GAMEPLAY

hostedprojectarticle07-png.289927
Taz'dingo!

You can carve out your own way on these tropical islands, whether thats base building, hunting, thieving, exploring, brewing, or dominating the other tribes, the choice is yours.

However, the real core of the map is the classes. Each of them are uniquely crafted. They each have a strongly identified gameplay. There are 7 basic classes, but each of them can evolve after reaching a certain level to a new more powerful form (twice!).

latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest

The 7 basic classes

➤ A STRONG COMMUNITY

hostedprojectarticle08-png.289923

A discord, a website, a wiki and even more...

Island Troll Tribes has a tight knit community which has been vital to its continued evolution as a foundational custom game on battle.net. If you don't know, Island Troll Tribes has been around for more than a decade! So There is a strong dedication from the fans and the developers. You can really feel the love for the game in this community. It's really what makes the game so great to play.

➤ THE AUTHOR'S WORDS

hostedprojectarticle04-png.289820

W: How was Island Troll Tribes started ? What were your motivations ?
Q: I wasn't the original editor. The original person to work on the map may have been Foosh but the first version was released by Moop. He then passed on the map to PL0X_J33BUS who developed it for a while and grew the community with great success until the 1.24 return bug. After the patch, RocketRusty joined the team and updated the map to use hashtables so that the game worked on battle.net again and also contributed some other changes. At this point the map was placed in the safe keeping of C0RR0SIVE whom enlisted my help in adding some new features, which slowly led to me becoming the lead developer of the project. I started as an avid Island Troll Tribes player and when the opportunity to work on the map came up I was more than happy to contribute, and it was just serendipitous that I happened to have the skills for it. My first major project on the map was adding stats tracking using W3MMD for Ghost++ and since then I've taken over all aspects of development, from edits within the map to creating websites and discord bots. I'm trying to ensure that the community of over a decade continues to enjoy playing the map and trying to keep it alive so that we can continue playing it for the decades to come.

W: Do you work alone or with a team ?
Q: Development on Island Troll Tribes is run by a team called the "Council". I am the president of the council and we also have positions for the Game Director (who is responsible for balance and new features) as well as for development and community management. The initial positions were filled via election by the community and now people are appointed based on merit within the community.

W: What do you plan to achieve with this project ?
Q: I want Island Troll Tribes to be people's favourite PvP game on the market. It has very unique mechanics and has a strong emphasis on team play. I think the combination of its emphasis on crafting, hand to hand melee combat, easy pathing blocking, and high stakes engagements make it a fiercly competitive game to play.

W: What elements make this an interesting project to you ?
Q: I have met so many amazing people in the community and have had the pleasure of meeting many of them in real life. They have become a huge part of my life, just as Island Troll Tribes has. We all share a deep appreciation of this complex game, and despite all the new flashy games that have been coming out, we all manage to get together and play Island Troll Tribes.

➤ MEDIA

129396-6f0e38c7823629f7eda759bf0677e1bd.png

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

➤ IMPORTANT LINKS

Hosted Project Forum
Download
Discord

Level 21
Just curious, what does it mean for LoA now that it is 'hosted'?

EDIT: Ok, I think I understand - hosted projects get their own sub-forum!

Last edited:
Level 5
i don't understand well. i could modify this maps personally, or this is a joint project? i wanna help about LoA storyline and lore.

Level 20
@maxxxus

A hosted project is a project that:

1) Has high quality and is being continously worked on by its author, so there's a good chance that it will be completed.
2) Is being promoted by Hiveworkshop and is given its own subforum.

i could modify this maps personally
Well, technically you can modify any project that is not protected, but you generally should always ask the original author for permission to edit his work, even if you modify it purely for your personal use. Also, keep in mind that you absolutely should not edit someone else's work and upload it online without said permission.

this is a joint project?
The fact that the project is hosted doesn't say anything about how many people are working on it.
It also doesn't suggest in any way that the author(-s) are looking for additional team members or help.

i wanna help about LoA storyline and lore.
Personally, I don't really think the story and lore of Legends of Arkain need any help, but if you have any suggestions or ideas, you should probably just post them in one of the forum threads about the project or start your own thread in the LoA subforum.

Last edited:
Level 7
Nicely done. Tried both maps - definitely something I will enjoy playing for a long time.

Level 2
Good luck guys, looking forward for this campaign. I truly wish best of success with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.