• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hollow Soldier

Inspired By Hollow Soldiers of Dark Souls 3, or those fella that hang out outside of High Wall of Lothric

this is kinda an amalgamation of all variation, with wooden shield came from the spearman, longsword that came from the swordsman, and armor that is kinda a mish mash of all variation that i can find on fextralife and google

Use For, Whitecloak by HerrDave

Update: What's changed?
Helm should look darker now, if not then my eyes are at fault
Most of the shield now should look darker
change the cape and the cloth, to give it more light and shadow (past self must've had mindblown when looking at this)
chainmail were done
leather armor, belt and sword straps were redone to support the sword hilt and grip

so far this is what i can do, now i need to go finish some life stuff

209759-c1cb11cd340c86a9b066aaf3dd9dc644.png

209266-b7b9eca42393ae6e44ff76ec36f1ae0b.png

feel free to use it, as long as you credit HerrDave
and also me
Previews
Contents

Hollow Soldier (Texture)

Hollow Soldier 256 (Texture)

Reviews
Archian
Approved. You could improve the shading a bit. But the face is hardly noticeable with the helmet on, so it's not that big of a deal. Thanks for providing an ingame screenshot.
Level 31
At first sight, I like this shield although the wood texture can do more even under 256x256.
This texture could need some sort of shading. Especially the helmet and chainmail.
1640504798370.png
Even the hollow itself shown to have shadows and highlights.
A lot of thing in HerDave's Whitecloak can be improved too. I will leave unrated for now, expecting some change but at least it looks freehand
Edit: Change made, a big upgrade from the original textures.
I do like how the chainmail texture can be seen visibility far awaay even under 256x256. The helmet and clothing is absolutely stunning. My only issue with this one is the sword being bland and the face could need more work but given how it rely on hollow from dsoul. It's a minor flaw. A 4.5/5 stars (but still rated as 5) and you achieve redemption after your last four textures.

Last edited:
Level 18
At first sight, I like this shield although the wood texture can do more even under 256x256.
This texture could need some sort of shading. Especially the helmet and chainmail.
View attachment 392269 Even the hollow itself shown to have shadows and highlights.
A lot of thing in HerDave's Whitecloak can be improved too. I will leave unrated for now, expecting some change but at least it looks freehand
thank you, i will working on but im kinda busy with other stuff and such

Just thought I'd leave a review for this texture now that it's been updated as this is a very interesting skin to me for a few reasons I'll go over.

The Good:
There is a lot of great texturing work here from what I can see and from looking at your previous resources I feel like you've put a lot more effort and time into this one that the others and it shows. The helmet looks great and in fact it looks even better in-game than in the unwrap which I find funny. Your cloth textures are just amazing you've got the right balance of creases and rips and folds to make it look really believable and its really well done, I don't think I could do it better myself to be honest. In particular the ripped tabard looks really good. That's another thing I'd like to highlight is the 2 emblems on the tabard and shield have been made really well with the respective textures underneath them; what I mean by that is the sigil on the shield looks like it has been painted on and is faded a little which is an amazing detail. It has Team-colour which I always like to see. Also the entire texture is free-hand which is always appreciated. Colour choice is nice with browns in the boots and gloves to break up the greys.

Areas for Improvement:
As good as this skin is there are a couple of things I think you need to work on. One is that certain things could be a little less blurry and could use more defined lines, such as on the gloves, boots and scabbard. Looking at those parts it just feels like they look blurry rather than smooth which is what you're wanting so maybe just be a bit clearer with the borders and outlines of parts such as creases and borders between those parts and the areas around it. Another is the chainmail, it doesn't look "bad" but I also think drawing and ring and CnP'ing it is not the way to go. You're better hand drawing the chainmail yourself and learning a technique to draw chainmail there are tutorials available and maybe one day I might make some tutorials myself for some techniques. Either way the chainmail could use some improvement. The final area is the face, the lines in contrast to the gloves and boots are too bold, it makes it almost look cartoony. I think if you spent more time on the face smoothing out the gradient between the wrinkles and adding a lot more detail it will look better. The last thing is maybe the inner border of the shield between the metal rim and wooden interior could be better highlighted.

Conclusion:
This is a good skin, no doubt about it and I really like it. However it still needs some work to look as good as I know it can and from looking at your previous skins you've came a long way in terms of skill and I'd love to see what else you can do. Although I have highlighted some areas for strong improvement the texture actually looks great in-game and they're not that visible which is... interesting? I guess? Either way. You should be really happy with this contribution and I know I am, I will give it a confident 3/5 but I know it could easily be a 4 or 5 with a bit of work :)

Level 18
Just thought I'd leave a review for this texture now that it's been updated as this is a very interesting skin to me for a few reasons I'll go over.

The Good:
There is a lot of great texturing work here from what I can see and from looking at your previous resources I feel like you've put a lot more effort and time into this one that the others and it shows. The helmet looks great and in fact it looks even better in-game than in the unwrap which I find funny. Your cloth textures are just amazing you've got the right balance of creases and rips and folds to make it look really believable and its really well done, I don't think I could do it better myself to be honest. In particular the ripped tabard looks really good. That's another thing I'd like to highlight is the 2 emblems on the tabard and shield have been made really well with the respective textures underneath them; what I mean by that is the sigil on the shield looks like it has been painted on and is faded a little which is an amazing detail. It has Team-colour which I always like to see. Also the entire texture is free-hand which is always appreciated. Colour choice is nice with browns in the boots and gloves to break up the greys.

Areas for Improvement:
As good as this skin is there are a couple of things I think you need to work on. One is that certain things could be a little less blurry and could use more defined lines, such as on the gloves, boots and scabbard. Looking at those parts it just feels like they look blurry rather than smooth which is what you're wanting so maybe just be a bit clearer with the borders and outlines of parts such as creases and borders between those parts and the areas around it. Another is the chainmail, it doesn't look "bad" but I also think drawing and ring and CnP'ing it is not the way to go. You're better hand drawing the chainmail yourself and learning a technique to draw chainmail there are tutorials available and maybe one day I might make some tutorials myself for some techniques. Either way the chainmail could use some improvement. The final area is the face, the lines in contrast to the gloves and boots are too bold, it makes it almost look cartoony. I think if you spent more time on the face smoothing out the gradient between the wrinkles and adding a lot more detail it will look better. The last thing is maybe the inner border of the shield between the metal rim and wooden interior could be better highlighted.

Conclusion:
This is a good skin, no doubt about it and I really like it. However it still needs some work to look as good as I know it can and from looking at your previous skins you've came a long way in terms of skill and I'd love to see what else you can do. Although I have highlighted some areas for strong improvement the texture actually looks great in-game and they're not that visible which is... interesting? I guess? Either way. You should be really happy with this contribution and I know I am, I will give it a confident 3/5 but I know it could easily be a 4 or 5 with a bit of work :)

well thanks for the review, this is just merely an amalgation of all hollow soldier that exist in ds3, i appreciate your take on the ripping clothes and leather, i had time to look to what i reference enough times to get what i want

for the areas of improvement, yes i do acknowledge that the three leather parts were blurry and hard to define and btw the chainmail were created from a custom ringmail brush that i created myself, i had hard time to find a good stroke

and for the record all of this were created using a drawing tablet, i know its a bit cheating but its a test of mine

well thanks for the review, this is just merely an amalgation of all hollow soldier that exist in ds3, i appreciate your take on the ripping clothes and leather, i had time to look to what i reference enough times to get what i want

for the areas of improvement, yes i do acknowledge that the three leather parts were blurry and hard to define and btw the chainmail were created from a custom ringmail brush that i created myself, i had hard time to find a good stroke

and for the record all of this were created using a drawing tablet, i know its a bit cheating but its a test of mine
I'm not that clued up on Dark Souls tbh so can't really comment on its accuracy to that media. I can only comment on the artistic merits themselves :)

I can appreciate creating your own brush in order to achieve the desired effect however I think you need to use that brush in conjunction with other drawing techniques in order to create a better chainmail texture. I don't mind you using this own brush but that's not really the issue, the issue is how it looks in the end which is too consistent and looks just like the same circle copy and pasted. It lacks the variance in the size and shape of the rings as they curve round the body and the shading and highlights that arise as a result of that. There's tons of other textures on the site that use a chainmail texture, I'd recommend looking to them for inspiration.

There's nothing wrong with using a drawing tablet, its not cheating; in fact its the best way to make a texture. I use a mouse because I'm a masochist but if I had it I would use a drawing tablet :p

Level 18
I'm not that clued up on Dark Souls tbh so can't really comment on its accuracy to that media. I can only comment on the artistic merits themselves :)

I can appreciate creating your own brush in order to achieve the desired effect however I think you need to use that brush in conjunction with other drawing techniques in order to create a better chainmail texture. I don't mind you using this own brush but that's not really the issue, the issue is how it looks in the end which is too consistent and looks just like the same circle copy and pasted. It lacks the variance in the size and shape of the rings as they curve round the body and the shading and highlights that arise as a result of that. There's tons of other textures on the site that use a chainmail texture, I'd recommend looking to them for inspiration.

There's nothing wrong with using a drawing tablet, its not cheating; in fact its the best way to make a texture. I use a mouse because I'm a masochist but if I had it I would use a drawing tablet :p
i can see what you're implying with the chainmail, i assume you meant the fold from the coif, yeah i too realise that the shadow make it look like it had a fold and shape, and without it, it just one straight chain coif