• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop Clan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
Hive has a lot of members who play WC3 still. But the official events made by Hive could attract even more members to be more active. So I came up to an idea seeing some other games forums and their tournaments. I'll present you my concept.

Hive Workshop Clan Wars
Hive Workshop Clan Wars, a concept that could refresh community and interest in WC3 in here as well.

Clans
What would be necessary is at least 4 clans with at least 4 members in each team. Teams or clans would compete against each other in ''League'' through software like Garena. For example, their team captains would agree which map to play in, and will they do it in 1vs1, 2vs2 or even more.

Wars
Each member out of 4 participating would have 1 heart. Once they are defeated in game by their opponent, they lose 1 heart. Once a clan member has 0 hearts they are out of the duel. Once whole team has reached 0 hearts, they lose the duel. The winning team would receive, in the League system, a number of points equal to hearts their members had at the end of duel. After every duel hearts number would be restarted for each member to 1.

Rules
-No cheats or bad behavior allowed
-Only maps from official Clan wars maps list valid
-Screenshot has to be taken by the winner to prove victory over opponent
-Both clan rosters must have the same number of players (at least 4)
-Players can challenge any opponents (If he has 0 hearts than not), avoiding to play for long time would eventually result in DQ and immediate losing of all clan hearts
-Clan leaders would agree to play one against each other and report the details to War judge
-When war is completed, both clan leaders are required to submit war results to a results thread
-And more...

League
After each team has played against each others (time for one league wars to finish is a year), the League winner will be determined. Members of winning team would receive things like forum awards or acquire special icons or creating special user group.

What is needed?
It would be necessary to have at least 4 official Hive workshop clans to do this. There would be threads made for each clan so its member can chat or report or join clan in there. Also necessary would be to hire people to be ''War judges'', someone who will be there to look over if warring is fair and would solve disputes.

Many websites use similar concepts for their tournaments and they been quite successful. What do you think?

Level 32
I know many sites have scheduled games and tournaments frequently and I know how they work, which is why we have our own forum for it too. Have you browsed our Multiplayer, Clans and Arrangements forum? It's for things exactly like this + for resources that can help arrange them such as the clan list. This thread fits there the best, so I request that @Ralle move it.

I've subtly presented this idea a few times in different forms but there was lack of interest. Among the threads was a not to be DotA tournament by Sentrywiz, an Azeroth Wars clan tournament between 4 sites, and other challenges from various users / groups. I didn't have the time to push a major one all the way, on top of there not being enough interest our user base which is known to be more on the independent gamer side. (Which I've tried to change over the months alone :/)

However, if you want to give it your all to host this thing, I'll gladly do all I can to promote it as well whether it's through the front page, social media, or anything else.

It would be necessary to have at least 4 official Hive workshop clans to do this.
This won't work, as Hive only has one official clan being THW @ northrend. There are a few clans which have multiple members registered on Hive, but non are official Hive clans. In order for an actual clan war, we'll have to reach out, probably to affiliate sites Diplomunion (Various), BrigandsHaven (Clan BotR), Gamerisle (Clan KosD) and more that I know.

If you don't want a clan war, then it's easy - just have people set up some small teams. Baby steps baby steps.

Teams or clans would compete against each other in ''League'' through software like Garena.
Our user base uses Battle.net more than any other platform, with Gameranger being the second most as shown here Hive Multiplayer Accounts
However, people without CD keys can still play with Battle.net players via ENT and Eurobattle.net.

So, Battle.net + ENT + Eurobattle > Garena or Gameranger in my opinion. Though I'm not exactly sure if Garena connects to ENT these days. I'll have to get back to you guys on that.

For example, their team captains would agree which map to play in, and will they do it in 1vs1, 2vs2 or even more.
I think it's better to have a certain map theme because if you seen people try to decide over a map with no restriction, all the spam happens. For example, "Strategy map tournament." If you decide on no theme, the host should set a small list of maps to choose from.

In the end, I'm happy to see someone stepping up with the idea of more organized gaming here on Hive. Awesome work Murlocologist!

Last edited:
Level 32
The key difference would be the ''official'' title which would probably attract more people wanting to compete in hive legit contest with possibility of getting award. When I said ''official clans'' I wasn't referring to THW clan, basically I meant teams which will get approval from a sort of judges to enter the league. Also I think it would be more beneficial if such Hive related tournaments would be put in Barracks sub-forum, for both activity and attractiveness. Multiplayer, clans and arrangements are inactive from what I see, but it is not because people aren't interested in the concept, it is cos of its approach and presentation of the free-form casual duels. I still think this could get at least 16 active players (judging by number of those who still participate in hosted projects), but it might be harder for them to form into teams. I think that if this one's league format pilot project would be successful, there could be some real wc3 activity here in the future. This concept has been tested before on other non-wc3 sites I was on and proved to be very successful for forum activity, so once again, I think it's all in the proper presentation.
Well, we shouldn't use the term clan if it actually doesn't involve any clan for obvious reasons.

The Multiplayer forum isn't inactive at all. There have been a few active threads every day, which is more than most forums on Hive. I just stated that it lacked big competitive events, and it'd be good for this to be there since it clearly fits the most. Also, there are multiple official contests a year that aren't in the Barracks and are of course, just as successful. When there is a new or sponsored type of contest, we also post it on the front page to make sure it's active.

Everything else you said are things I already know or clarified with you.

Level 32
I was never saying it wouldn't work. I've been saying the opposite.

But I don't understand why you think placing this tournament in the proper forum is detrimental. It doesn't make it any less official and any less Hive. Any public forum here is open to all of Hive. Prizes can still be given outside of The Arena as they have many times before.

If you are worried about activity, just look to my statements on that we can put this on the front page + social media announcements.

Last edited:
Level 32
Well, I'll leave the decision on where you want to post the thread if you're willing to be the host of it, @Murlocologist. Objectively, it would be more fitting, relevant, and helpful to the Multiplayer forum, but I acknowledge that there isn't any dire need for me to argue that it should be in the multiplayer forum as it would likely be successful either way.

At the moment, the specifications of your proposed tournament are very vague in the first post, so there will need to be more tuning on your own or open discussion.
These specifications include whether it actually includes clans, what exact type of games we will be playing, what kind of prizes there would be, and what time frames are we going to execute things on.

Level 32
I see no reason here to turn this into a big discussion that takes an eternity and will then
eventually be forgotten in the end, ensuring that nothing changes.

Our ambassador wants specifications? There you go:
Just leave events like the funmap evening and stuff in the Multiplayer forum and move tournaments,
challenges, clan wars and so on to the Barracks.
Make prizes like with every modding contest/challenge.

Make the entire thing like other contests, everyone can start his own if one feels like and only
needs mod approval or something.
No reason to make a single person, who might lose interest at doing everything sooner or later,
manage everything.
The point of the multiplayer forum is exactly that. It was even designed to cater to clans and tournaments, but as we know Hive's community tends more on the casual gaming side.
Anyway, I concluded my queries with "either way will work" to avoid excess arguments, so there isn't a need to continue on the "where forum things belong" debate.
And by specifications, I meant that we should talk about how, what, and when people are going to play. Let's just talk about that, please :)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I am cautiously pessimistic about events without a prize. Especially in a small community.

Y'll know how it is, different time zones and then there will be that one person who's delayed, or can't join the room etc.
This would be no issue in a tournament with a few hundred players, but as we all know we would not have events that big ;P

So yeah, I would vote for the offical tag and a prize just to get some extra peepz to fill out.

The only event I've been to was the Hearthstone Tournaments, we were 12-ish signed up at best? and there were always 2-3 who did not show up, and yet again 2-3 being late.

Perhaps more people are playing wc3 in this community, but I know that many (like me) mod it rather than playing it.

Level 32
Truth be told, my initial reactions were that it's just too much content to follow when WC3 communities have it in much simpler ways. I also wanted to see other people's opinions, but maybe they were as (for lack of better words) intimidated or turned off as I was. It is of course very ambitious and it looks carefully planned, but I'll get back to you later in detail.

Level 32
I used the term intimidating for lack of better words, so it's not spot on to why I think no one commented on your proposal. More so, people didn't expect the tournament to be on this big of scale. I understand how you propose it will work, but I disagree with it working out on Hive, at least this way.

I haven't seen this type of tournament worked out in any WC3 forum, and I'm registered on tens of them. There are WC3 forums with a more active multiplayer gaming base than Hive that still don't do these things. Examples of how arranged or competitive WC3 gaming works outside of Hive:
Forum/Clan Games | Brigand's Haven
September LoD Tournament - ENT Gaming
Forum/Clan Games | Union of Strategists
http://challonge.com/Devo33 / Risk #33 7/12

There's no need for lounge threads, extensive judge managing, a volley of steps / regulations, and a whole separate forum when a simpler version can be put in the Multiplayer or Arena forum. Having such a forum stay active with all these moving parts would need extra effort from moderators who are already focused on other things.

Plus, Hive is probably the most diverse WC3 forum out there. Out of the Hive community that participated in more dedicated multiplayer gaming, they are spread across half a dozen servers. People will not agree on a map or even a map theme. That is why smaller, specific arranged games and tournaments work. I'm not saying grander things wouldn't work, but those in the WC3 community participating in those usually have it supported by bots or automatic templates so people can just hop in, play, and have things recorded automatically. The way you proposed seems like moderators, judges, and teams would carry more than a bit of responsibility and a need to control many things and follow many steps.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, but know that this is just my opinion backed with my reasons. I very much appreciate your ambition, but I just don't think this will work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.